Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else get annoyed that Christmas is taking over everything!? Every channel has Christmas movies playing and I even heard Christmas music playing this morning... I'm all for Christmas but can it start after thanksgiving? My neighbors already have up their tree... I still have skeletons hanging. Ahhh sorry to rant

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I'm bracing for the worst. Here in Canada the Christmas music usually hits hard the day after Rememberance Day (which is today).

I love Christmas music - maybe more than the Halloween stuff, but I get tired of hearing the same stuff over and over. I think if it kicked in around November 25th, that'd be about right.

The thing I hate more, though, is New Year's Eve music. 200 versions of the same 3 songs. For 5 days straight.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
People keep saying the holidays are coming closer this year than before. What am I missing? Thanksgiving is always the 4th thursday of the month and xmas is always december 25 so HOW are they coming closer?????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts exactly!! I just don't understand it lol. People need to stop rushing everything!!

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
eh, maybe its just me but once november hits im in full blown christmas mode... ok, not full blown.. but close to it. thats when i start my christmas shopping usually and while i dont play christmas music in my house till im putting up my tree (then and only then.. and its the twisted christmas albums... not that hokey church crap they play at the stores) and i dont watch christmas movies till after thanksgiving..... i do enjoy strolling through walmart or sears or target or wherever and hearing the christmas music playing on the muzak stations... it gives me warm fuzzies. and im ok with it as long as halloween is over. christmas music before halloween is just wrong.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Unfortunately, in today's world, Christmas starts in November. Although every holiday has its own feel and joy. I love Halloween, and look forward to thinking of it all year long, but right now it's Christmas time, and I like it. :) And, when January rolls around, I will have had my fill of Christmas joy for another year, and will very much look forward to spring. :eek:

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,271 Posts
People keep saying the holidays are coming closer this year than before. What am I missing? Thanksgiving is always the 4th thursday of the month and xmas is always december 25 so HOW are they coming closer?????
it's that there's less time between the two this year than usual. thanksgiving can be anywhere from november 22 to november 28--this year it's as late as it can be.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I'm not a fan of Christmas at all. Here in England, the stores had aisles of Christmas stuff out pretty much as soon as the kids went back to school in September, and I'm somewhat sick of having it thrust in my face at every turn for three or four months of the year. If it was just in December, I might take a different view.

I've usually just about got back from my summer holiday and they're telling me the year is nearly over again...no wonder I feel old!

Worst part about it is that my company shuts down for just over a week and I'm forced to take annual leave that I don't really want and which could put to much better use in the run up to Halloween, or on an extra summer vacation.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Wouldn't it be funny if we all bought all our Christmas stuff as soon as they put it out in early November or whenever? Then it would seem like a shopping boycott and maybe some of them would be forced to put some other things on those Typhoid Mary shelves nobody has any use for?
Our buying habits could dictate what they are apt to do.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
it's that there's less time between the two this year than usual. thanksgiving can be anywhere from november 22 to november 28--this year it's as late as it can be.
Ohhhh....NOW I get it :) My 82 year old cousin has been going crazy getting her 8 trees up/decorated and kept saying if it wasn't done by thanksgiving there was just no use to go on...LOL! Of course there is no one who is going to be inside her house to SEE them,just another reason I don't understand all the hubbub!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Actually, no, it doesn't bother me at all! :D
While Thanksgiving is nice, to me it's just a day about cooking and eating and cleaning up and it's pretty hard to get excited about. With Christmas, I can decorate, watch fun movies, listen to Perry Como, Bing Crosby, and Nat King Cole, bake lots of cookies, and drink egg nog! I do hate the shopping though. Wish I could get rid of that part. That's what keeps Halloween #1 - there's no shopping required, unless it's at Home Depot.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
We just might decorate for Christmas. When I first got the house and had my Pteradactyl skeleton hanging on the outside of the house, I wrapped a string of Christmas lights around him, put a extra long "Santa hat over his elongated skull and put a pair of Bermuda shorts on him because I made his as close to real as possible, and he has this protruding pelvis bone that looked like .. another thing...(that bone stuck out to give some muscles a contact point for leverage.)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I prefer Halloween to Christmas any year. But I don't begrudge folks who prefer Christmas. You want to start going nuts about it in October, go for it. As for the retailers, they are always working six months in advance. So for them, Christmas 2013 is already a memory, short of the final profit figures coming in. I don't let the commercialization of any holiday spoil it for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts