Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Haunting Girl
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows that typically when a home haunter moves in, neighbors step up their Halloween decorating game. People who never decorated before at least put out a pumpkin or make an attempt at using bag-o-webs... I've seen this everywhere I've lived before.
I've lived in this neighborhood for almost five years, and have done four Halloweens here. Three of those were with the Garry Street Cemetery (the first year was Hurricane Sandy), and I've gotten an increasing number of ToTs each year. We go all out, and I know I'm not the only one in my neighborhood to decorate. I have an awesome neighbor about two blocks away that does a really cool display and a few houses away is another with a blowmold display... My street, however, is dead. I'm lucky if someone bothers to put out an uncarved pumpkin and some mums...
I've met a number of my neighbors, and my landlord (who is super supportive) talks to everyone. I have at least a few neighbors with kids, and others that are on younger side. I give a pass to my elderly neighbors. There hasn't been a high turnover in people (houses being sold or re-rented), so I don't really understand why it hasn't spread. People always seem excited when they see me out in the yard in the Fall, but they never do anything themselves...
My husband thinks I need to start earlier and be more consistent in my decorating schedule. I usually do my webs near the first day of Fall, and try to do a dormer each week before moving back outside to set up the cemetery. I don't always keep up with stuff, and I usually end up playing catch-up the last week of October. I'm going to try that this year, but I'm not really sure what else I can do.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Some people just aren't into the decorating...It could be that you do too much and they feel they can't keep up....It could be financial, it could be they don't plan on being around on Halloween...or they're doing a Trunk or Treat somewhere....I'm sure there are lots of reasons that make sense to them. Trying to make rhyme or reason of what other people do will drive you nuts, so I just focus on my own haunt and if someone does something, I venture over and compliment them on their setup.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree, it could be numerous things that stop people from participating ... but be glad that they appreciate your effort. If this is what you enjoy doing, like Scatterbrains said ... focus on your own haunt and enjoy what you have put together. People participating is just a bonus.

Maybe try to BOO your neighbours ... see if they join in.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've been the only one to decorate on my little street for Halloween. Maybe a pumpkin when we all had children at home but that's about it. I give them all a pass because I live 5 miles out of town at the end of a dead end, our place is one of the few where the decorations would be seen when on the street. We happen to have a large flat area at the top of our long driveway that the county left behind when they made the road... the perk of being at the end I guess. There are few houses out here and many are back from the road with LOTS of plant life and trees or tall solid wood fences between the houses and the road. I've NEVER in all the years I've live here had a SINGLE ToT visit. Again house are far and few between.

I will say however that I've noticed a few more Christmas Lights as the years have gone by. Again we were about the only house that did anything. About 12 years ago we started to do more then lights on the house and driveway... an airblown, some of those wire reindeer, a couple of blow molds. About 4 years ago Frog got a second hand LoR. NOW that got the neighbors excited LOL... I think 2 more houses have added lights to their house now. WOW. LOL

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
We've lived in our new neighborhood for gee over 10 years now. It was a new development that was near being built out at the time. Few people did much decorating for a number of years. You'd see some lights and pumpkins, nothing major. I would put out lights of some sort and props in the windows facing the street. Our max ToT count was in the 20s-30s back then. Once we redid our landscaping I started stepping up our layout with more props and window projections and different lighting. Numbers went to 80 one year, 120 another, last year we figure over 200 based on candy hand out count.

All I can say is it took a long time to get to last year's numbers. It wasn't because our neighborhood had become Halloween Central either. Can't say that many new houses in my immediate neighborhood are decorating from what I can tell although the neighbor across the street said she was jealous that we would get way more ToT at our house than hers and she's been adding more lighting on her porch and yard each year. I by the way don't even set up until Halloween day so it's not like they see my house decorated during the week and maybe I'm not seeing theirs either.

I tend to think that people who only see small numbers of kids come to their door don't think it's worth the effort if there aren't many kids to see it. That or really don't want to spend lots of money on candy for whatever reason. It use to be so much cheaper years ago so get the cost aspect of it. They may figure that the kids really are coming for the candy anyway not the decorating, so just put something out to indicate you have candy to hand out. Another thought is that where I'm at a lot of parents both work so don't get home until late during the week and there isn't much time to spend decorating on the weekend when they have other family stuff to take care of. Handing out candy and walking any younger kid around the neighborhood is about all they can handle.

Here's another thought. We had a new neighbors move in last year a few houses down from us. Nice young couple, the guy in his 20s is very handy with building things, he put up his whole yard's redwood fencing, painted his house himself and was doing his own landscaping in the backyard. They have a little girl maybe 2 years old. He said once she gets a bit older he wants to decorate for halloween and xmas so she can enjoy it. I have high hopes for this neighbor. So maybe it's more about the age of your kids if you have them that influences what if anything you do. I will say that I have noticed more people decorating for xmas each year in our general area and believe there is a similar albeit smaller number of folks putting out lighting or hanging ghost or ghouls from their trees for halloween. But I think decorating in general is catchy. If you do it for xmas you're more likely to then do something for halloween.

One last comment. I saw your post mentioned "landlord". If you have a lot of renters--apartment or house--in your area I think there's a tendency not to accumulate too many outdoor decorations. People may go all out indoors come the holidays but if it's a temporary living situation, I'm willing to bet the thought is what do I do will all of this if I move and don't have the storage.

·
The Haunting Girl
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know many people have their own reasons for not decorating, but I would have thought one or two of them would have by now. It seems like there has actually been less decorating over the years, and while I've figured out why one or two houses have stopped (those people moved), the others are a mystery.
What really bothers me is that many people on my street do lots of decorating for Christmas. I know that Christmas gets all the love, but throw me a pumpkin or something in October people! I'll take inflatables! Something!

One last comment. I saw your post mentioned "landlord". If you have a lot of renters--apartment or house--in your area I think there's a tendency not to accumulate too many outdoor decorations. People may go all out indoors come the holidays but if it's a temporary living situation, I'm willing to bet the thought is what do I do will all of this if I move and don't have the storage.
My neighborhood is all regular houses (no town houses or apartment complexes), but a good chunk are two family rental properties. However, most of my immediate neighbors are home owners in single family houses.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Yea, might be just they aren't interested in making the effort to decorate spookily for Halloween. Or, as Scatterbrains said, maybe they are intimidated by your display.
The only way to tell would be to not decorate at all one year, and see how many neighbors ask why not. Then you cold tell them you feel lonely being the only decorated house. Then maybe they would join in.

Did you say Mums?? Yikes---scary...............:)

·
The Haunting Girl
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, might be just they aren't interested in making the effort to decorate spookily for Halloween. Or, as Scatterbrains said, maybe they are intimidated by your display.
The only way to tell would be to not decorate at all one year, and see how many neighbors ask why not. Then you cold tell them you feel lonely being the only decorated house. Then maybe they would join in.

Did you say Mums?? Yikes---scary...............:)
I could never not decorate! I love Halloween too much. Even in the past when I wasn't really feeling it, I still found myself putting things together at the last minute. It has always been worth it in the end. I barely got things out last year, but so many kids were like "this is the house I've been telling you about!!" Even if we didn't get ToTs, I'd probably still decorate anyway.

And I know mums aren't scary, but I'd take Fall themed décor over nothing at all.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,396 Posts
We have new neighbors moving in across the street, a younger, Mini Cooper driving couple & I can't wait to see what their take on holiday decorating in general is.I was hoping to meet them today but they were just checking to see if their keys worked as the previous owner handed them over.

I'm pretty sure there's no way they're as into Halloween as I am but we do still have a Christmas decoration out (it's not plugged in but we couldn't get it in before the snow) so they know we decorate for Christmas.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The older most people get, the less they want to or will be" comfortable", climbing a ladder to do anything.
Many are not "Tool users", not even just hammering a nail or drilling in a screw. Small abuses are large abuses to them.
Plugging in a drop cord is a scary, life-threatening thing for some, a subject of discussion that will seem to never find an ending...
Reading small print instructions is too much work if your eyes hurt from trying.
Then there will always be the "Done that, been there before" Gang.
And a great miserable number of those super-glued to their chairs in front of a Tv, computer screen are to be pitied ,since there is no find-able switch anywhere to turn off their electronic device.
There you are, and shall always be...........

Several years after I got this house open, and had several successful seasons and off-season successes, a local man who was almost only known for his lack of energy to do anything , sat down the street from here telling that restaurant owner ( a good friend of mine) that "He" could have done that."
"Done what?" he had to be asked.
"I could have bought that house and done that, made it into a haunted House."
Maybe the irony will fall"short" since no one reading this will ever know this man who said this, but the restaurant owner and i laughed ourselves silly trying to "picture' that guy even getting up to walk 20 feet to do anything.
The restaurant owner was a very physically ambitious person, a certified "Work-a-holic', we both were .
Death stopped my friend.He is the only person to ever have two tombstones in one graveyard. One from all of his friends in Savanna, illinois and one from his Friends here in Mount Carroll, Illinois (The towns are just 10 miles apart) He had , had a restaurant in both towns over the years.
He was an incredible person. Always entertaining. Bert Bogue-the shortest tail gunner in World War Two!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts