Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Haunting Girl
863 Posts
I want freezing cold so badly and would actually cheer for snow. There are aggressive bald-faced hornets in one of the shrubs and the landlord doesn't want to pay for an exterminator since they should die off in a few weeks anyway. Until that happens I can't do anything outside... It's killing me since I usually have some of my stuff up by now and I'm sure the neighbors are worried that I might not decorate this year.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I hear you. Snow is putting a damper on my plans too. I love snow, but it's way too early for it. We only had 2 months this year so far where we didn't see any snow. For the past 10 or so years we have had at least 4 months where we didn't have any snow. The months we didn't get snow this year were just downright too hot for me. Course anything above 75* is too hot for me.

Hope your snow doesn't last long and you don't see anymore of it until after Halloween.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I want freezing cold so badly and would actually cheer for snow. There are aggressive bald-faced hornets in one of the shrubs and the landlord doesn't want to pay for an exterminator since they should die off in a few weeks anyway. Until that happens I can't do anything outside... It's killing me since I usually have some of my stuff up by now and I'm sure the neighbors are worried that I might not decorate this year.
If you can see the nest, there are some long reach sprays for hornets that shoot 20+ feet. Yes, its toxic and dangerous and you should wear gloves but .... it works. Just follow the directions and hide inside for a few hours afterwards.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you can see the nest, there are some long reach sprays for hornets that shoot 20+ feet. Yes, its toxic and dangerous and you should wear gloves but .... it works. Just follow the directions and hide inside for a few hours afterwards.
Just make sure you do it at night when it is cold and they are all in their nest, because you won't be able to outrun them. Also check the reviews of the spray before you buy it if you're going to HD, Lowes, Wally World, ect, because I swear they all stink now and don't instantly kill bees like they used to, or shoot more than 4-5 feet. I remember with the old sprays you could spray them midflight and they would just drop out of the air.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
@kuroneko, what Engineerchic said. Best to spray the nest in the evening after it has cooled down or very early in the morning before it warms up. If you can find this,(link below) this is what I use. Best thing about it is it will continue to kill up to 4 weeks after it has been sprayed (baring any rain or sprinklers that might wash the spray off) so it will kill any hornets that were not in the nest at the time it was sprayed who return to the nest later. You can also spray it in/on areas that the hornets seem to land most frequently and it will kill them. You don't have to spray the hornets directly to kill them, just spray the nest or places they like to land and it will still kill them.

Edit: I use this stuff in the spring. I go around and spray areas where wasps and hornets tend to make nests before they make nests. If you can kill the queen then a nest can not be made. I have not had any issues with wasps since I started using this stuff. It works great for both prevention and after nests have been made.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,438 Posts
Ugh, this thread is freaking me right out.

A few years ago we had some snow before Halloween but in my part of the world we're getting warmer Octobers not cooler ones.

Snow in October is just wrong on so many levels. So are wasps but at least you can actively do something about the wasps.

·
The Haunting Girl
863 Posts
Just make sure you do it at night when it is cold and they are all in their nest, because you won't be able to outrun them. Also check the reviews of the spray before you buy it if you're going to HD, Lowes, Wally World, ect, because I swear they all stink now and don't instantly kill bees like they used to, or shoot more than 4-5 feet. I remember with the old sprays you could spray them midflight and they would just drop out of the air.
@kuroneko, what Engineerchic said. Best to spray the nest in the evening after it has cooled down or very early in the morning before it warms up. If you can find this,(link below) this is what I use. Best thing about it is it will continue to kill up to 4 weeks after it has been sprayed (baring any rain or sprinklers that might wash the spray off) so it will kill any hornets that were not in the nest at the time it was sprayed who return to the nest later. You can also spray it in/on areas that the hornets seem to land most frequently and it will kill them. You don't have to spray the hornets directly to kill them, just spray the nest or places they like to land and it will still kill them.

Edit: I use this stuff in the spring. I go around and spray areas where wasps and hornets tend to make nests before they make nests. If you can kill the queen then a nest can not be made. I have not had any issues with wasps since I started using this stuff. It works great for both prevention and after nests have been made.
Thanks everyone. Right now I'm just trying to wait it out. I can't do much in the yard until the landlord gives the okay to put stuff out anyway since the lawn grows like crazy. I'm going to focus on my window scenes and finishing off my one prop. If they're still a problem by the time I start on the yard I may consider trying to take them out, but the landlord's arm is still a little swollen from an attack two weeks ago. He was trimming up the bushes so I could decorate and found out the hard way which one they're nesting in. We still can't find the nest in the shrub so it seems unlikely we'll be able to do anything. At least it's pretty far from the door so hopefully it won't be an issue Halloween night if they're still alive.

Ugh, this thread is freaking me right out.

A few years ago we had some snow before Halloween but in my part of the world we're getting warmer Octobers not cooler ones.

Snow in October is just wrong on so many levels. So are wasps but at least you can actively do something about the wasps.
We had snow in 2011 and it was actually kinda cool... Then we had Sandy the next year... Much less cool. I can work with snow as long as it happens after I decorate, but doesn't happen during Halloween itself. The snow hides a ton of stuff and you can totally do some cool effects with it. The hornets on the other hand are not as easy to deal with. Bald-faced hornets are extremely aggressive and have smooth stingers that allow them to sting multiple times. My landlord got extremely lucky that only one landed on him and it was on his arm. He told me that he's been stung by bees and wasps and this was one of the worst pains he's ever experienced.

Still, we've had decent/good weather a few years in a row... I am worried that it's going to rain or something this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts