Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, some years you can't find Halloween anywhere,but this year is one of the good ones! I even saw a Halloween show on Sun.,about giving an outdoor party.

This is the fun time,where the anticipation and the planning happen. I'm thinking my Halloween decor is going out early this year! It even feels a little like Fall in Minnesota. We get occasional breaks in the Summer weather,with cool temps.,and dips in humidity,and a few cool nights. We still have 90 degree temps headed our way,but days are just a little shorter,and I was in a T.J. Max yesterday,and a lady was horrified that Halloween and Thanksgiving were out! Lol

So,I'm just sayin,ha,it's time to get spooky!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I was in a T.J. Max yesterday,and a lady was horrified that Halloween and Thanksgiving were out! Lol
Well, it's obvious that she's not a member of this forum! I personally get horrified when Christmas stuff is out before Halloween. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
I get kind of bummed living in my area during Halloween and the Fall. I really love the season, but we get our real warm days from mid August through early November. It's not uncommon to have hot, Santa Ana days on Halloween. :( My TJMaxx and Ross don't have any Halloween out at all. Big Lots was just starting to put out a little last Friday. School starts later here, so my stores are still packed with back-to-school stuff.

I can tell that people are starting to think "Halloween" and "Fall" though, as I'm seeing more and more Halloween/Fall pins pop up on my Pinterest feed! lol :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I get kind of bummed living in my area during Halloween and the Fall. I really love the season, but we get our real warm days from mid August through early November. It's not uncommon to have hot, Santa Ana days on Halloween. :( My TJMaxx and Ross don't have any Halloween out at all. Big Lots was just starting to put out a little last Friday. School starts later here, so my stores are still packed with back-to-school stuff.

I can tell that people are starting to think "Halloween" and "Fall" though, as I'm seeing more and more Halloween/Fall pins pop up on my Pinterest feed! lol :D
It's unfortunate to hear about your weather. The weather in October is one of the reasons Halloween is my favorite time of the year.

I'm with the OP though I'm very excited with how much Halloween stuff is already out compared to other years. Most of the time its in September when places put it out but it's already getting me in the spirit and wanting cooler weather instead of the blazing heat we are getting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am also from MN and have noticed when out walking the dog a few mornings in the past week or so that little bit of fall feel in the air! Looks like we are headed in the wrong direction the rest of the week though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I feel for you Zombie. Fall here is beautiful. It's never long enough for most of us. Sometimes though the snow decides to move in early,and when the ground gets white that's the one thing that really makes it hard for me to get in that Halloween spirit. But Halloween is getting more popular,and it's been acceptable for a long time to have Halloween decor out all year. I keep some lighted houses and things out. This web site is a life saver,as you can go to it any time to talk about Halloween. I know some people work on haunts,and crafts all year,and find things all year that work for their projects. So I guess we'll keep in touch on here with all the Halloween lovers. My brother's wife is from Mississippi,and even there people come up with special things to feel like Halloween. Guess we can work on it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
SoCal? I'm in the SGV and same thing here...BUT...the nights ARE cooler for sure in October...and there are definitely cooler days as compared to summer. Don't worry. It's coming for us too! Just in our own way!

As for H'ween stuff being out, I find dollar stores and craft stores to be great for this...they're always a step ahead because they have stuff that needs to be "made" by somebody and that generally takes time. I may pop into Joann or Michael's this weekend just to see the fall stuff! My Dollar Tree is always quick to get stuff up too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
SoCal? I'm in the SGV and same thing here...BUT...the nights ARE cooler for sure in October...and there are definitely cooler days as compared to summer. Don't worry. It's coming for us too! Just in our own way!

As for H'ween stuff being out, I find dollar stores and craft stores to be great for this...they're always a step ahead because they have stuff that needs to be "made" by somebody and that generally takes time. I may pop into Joann or Michael's this weekend just to see the fall stuff! My Dollar Tree is always quick to get stuff up too.
Yup, SoCal! :) True, the nights get cooler as compared to summer, but I long for that "crispness" in the daytime air and we're so slow to get it! :(

Thanks for the tip! We just got a new Dollar Tree and I've been biting the bit to see what they have to offer for Halloween/Fall! They didn't have anything displayed yet and couldn't tell me when it was coming in, but that was a little over a week ago. The clerk looked at me like I had two heads and said "it's still back-to-school stuff!". lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts

Ah yes, I'm also in SoCal. I grew up in the midwest, and the lack of real seasonal changes - particularly fall - bums me out a little every year. I seem to recall last year was particularly warm. Although... it was nice to wander around on Halloween night and not have to wear a big coat over my costume. So it isn't all bad I suppose.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's getting spooky already! ?

Shoutout to Minnesota autumn days! I have noticed a few chilly mornings too and boy am I ready for fall. I like summer, but I don't like the heat at all. Give me a high of 50 to 60 and I will be in heaven. I have one more camping trip this month so I don't feel like I've wasted summer, but after that, it's Halloween time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just took the baby out ( corgi puppy , not Real baby) and it's chilly this morning! I'm loving it! no matter how nasty hot it gets later I've seen my first sign the summer will indeed end at some point!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Here in Huntsville, AL, it just started getting mild/cool this week. Sure, we still have the rest of August and part of September to go, but it's getting to the point where we have a rainy spell, and it cools things down. The muggy Alabama days are going away. Fall Fever started last week, as I've seen more Fall/Halloween posts on Facebook.

I've seen some Halloween candy at Walgreens. Mostly the individual chocolate pumpkins, and small bags of Brach's candy corn. My most favorite part, though, Fall beers are out! I love to take one outside, along with some music, and enjoy the cool nights. Also, Starbucks will soon have Fall flavored, and in the coming weeks, Halloween commercials!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Originally Posted by lizzyborden
I personally get horrified when Christmas stuff is out before Halloween
I went to Michael's the other day looking for Halloween goodies and found a single aisle with Christmas Ornaments and little Santa's. One, it's not even Halloween yet. And two, IT"S STILL AUGUST! It's unbelievable...

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I went to our local Shopko a couple of days ago, needing to pick up a few things, and NOT wanting to deal with Wal-mart. Their back to school aisle is WRECKED. Hardly anything left! That means...HALLOWEEN IS COMING! It's almost here!

School starts on Monday. That means I could see Halloween in our local stores in a week. I'm so excited! I don't even know why, because I don't like our local stores, haha!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Ah yes, I'm also in SoCal. I grew up in the midwest, and the lack of real seasonal changes - particularly fall - bums me out a little every year. I seem to recall last year was particularly warm. Although... it was nice to wander around on Halloween night and not have to wear a big coat over my costume. So it isn't all bad I suppose.
I am originally from the northeast and didn't move to SoCal until 10 years ago. Yes, I still get fairly miserable wishing for crunchy leaves and autumn smells (though we do have a few trees on our block that change to brilliant colors - liquidambar mostly; then maples, but they just get a dirty yellow). But there are a few things that I selectively manage not to remember each year, and which I then MAKE myself remember. Such as:

* all the years we got "rained out" of Halloween. I'd go out anyway, with an umbrella. The mood of dozens of kids in the street was TOTALLY ruined since nobody else was out. I'd waited 364 days for Halloween and it was a bust.
* having to wear a heavy jacket over my costume since it was 30F at night, and nobody could see all the work I'd put into it.
* beautiful, gorgeous, brilliant, amazing peak fall colors...that lasted 10 days and then were done. Totally done. Again: waited 11.5 months for that. Over in a whisper.
* crisp mornings being fun...for a few weeks...then heralding in five long months of bitter, windy cold and slippery, dangerous, scary road conditions.
* the way all my friends' kids from my old neighborhood got SNOWED OUT of H'ween two years ago.
* the way we'd plan all year for fun H'ween things to do on the weekends outdoors...then get rained out...and never get a second chance.

I'm not knocking "real fall" but then again if you REALLY look back on it I'll bet you'll see that your memories of it are a lot rosier than the reality. Now OTOH I do seek out "autumn"-like stuff out here. Absolutely. I love to drive to the mountains to see color and feel crispness. I look for "farm"-y things (including what is now a tradition for us, the Sleepy Hollow dinner, presentation and games at Riley's Farm). I make all sorts of autumn-flavored goodies, especially anything that contains apple, pumpkin and/or raisins. I burn candles with the lovely scents of fall. I DO miss "real" fall, even the very small amount of it that actually happened. BUT there are ways to remind yourself that nobody gets that "perfect fall" any more than anybody actually gets that "perfect Christmas" you see on every TV channel, movie and store display. :)

So just ENJOY OUR OWN FALL! We DO HAVE ONE! Come on over to my house. Damn girl, I will take you the rounds. We'll start out with a fab pumpkin spice latte at the Starbucks right down the road from me, then I'll take you up the Glendora Mountain Road, we'll get higher in elevation and feel the crisp breeze and will look down at the amazing panorama below. We'll go back down and I'll drive you along the strips of Rte. 66 that have amazing lines of blazing-red liquidambar, then up to LaVerne and Claremont which are all trees, trees, trees. We'll wear our short sleeves and enjoy, unfettered. Then to Trader Joe's for a cider run, double back to Donut Man for an autumn peach fresh-made donut run and take them home to eat during a haunted movie marathon!!! Let me know the date!!! I'll fit ya in!!

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
I grew up in Ohio. Nothing beats a Midwest autumn! I have lived in many areas in my adulthood, currently living in eastern WA, which has the look and feel of Arizona. My yard is bright green come October 31st and it always bums me out. Too windy to try to bring in leaves or branches. We have tried to work with themes that are not your typical autumn them. Would love a leaf covered lawn some day!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts