Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SYFY Channel will begin airing Season 6 of FACE OFF this coming Tuesday, 1/14, 9/8c. I posted about this under the TV thread (kind of already buried) but haven't seen anyone else mention it here so figured it was time for a new discussion thread for the new season anyway. Plus don't want to see anyone miss the beginning episode, "Sexy Beasts" if they didn't get the news on the start date.

Here's the link to the network's webpage for the show. It has info on the new contestants. http://www.syfy.com/faceoff

BTW before the new season starts SYFY will be repeating Season 5's 13 episodes beginning at 8am, maybe last chance to see them for a while if you missed any of them before or just want to get back in the swing of the show.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,487 Posts
It's so hard to remember to watch stuff in January after a month of all the shows being on hiatus. Thanks for the heads up!!

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Oh yeah. I'm ready for the new season. Hopefully there will be some great stand outs.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TONIGHT starts Season 6. Can't wait to see what's in store for challenges this new season.

I'm glad some of my shows (like Sleepy Hollow and Dracula) are finishing up their seasons so I have time for FACE OFF, Dallas, etc. Only so much TV you can watch and this spring I want to spend more time on my props for this year.

Tonight's season premiere BTW repeats 2 hours later tonight as well.

watching now...just started. I for one am so happy that we have a whole group of fresh contestants, not second chancers from previous seasons. I love hearing how people came to the show, ie background and motivation.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Liked the premier. I am glad they went back to the original formula. Last season was interesting but you knew what to expect from the returning contestants. There seems to be a nice variety of talent on here. You can definitely see the different skill levels. It will be interesting to see who can step it up a notch and who may get too cocky and fall. I also agreed with the judges last night on both their decisions.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I enjoyed the first challenge with the beauties. Some very interesting looks there. Liked that the challenge then went on to the beast and they got paired together in the final judging. Some very nice designs and skills shown.

Here's my observations, guess you can say criticisms, about the show: If they don't have the time to show off each contestants work, which I get from the number of contestants and the hour to edit it to, I wish they would dedicate the space on their website. They quickly move the "you got a pass onto next week" 's group off the show and they then focus on the best and worst. I find myself really wishing I could see some of the other work in more detail than they present on the show, and get to know those people a little bit more. This has always been their format so nothing new really but has always left me wanting to see more.

Don't know about you guys but until quite a ways into the show, I find all the contestants except a few to be a big blur. I'm always feeling a bit lost for a number of weeks. Can't recall who is who, what their background is or sometimes even what they did. I wish they would leave the names of the contestants up longer on the screen so you have more of a chance to associate people with their work product. Or maybe insert the creator's head shot in the footage as they show the designs in detail. Kind of feel like I could use a score card while watching. Maybe I'm just getting too old. LOL.

One last comment from last night's show. While the detailing on the green lizzard guy was amazing from both artists, were you guys liking the color intensity of it? No one on the show commented on it as I recall and I just thought it made that beast look artificial. I will describe it akin to a paint color I might have used on one of those Godzilla model kits back when my brother and I were growing up...bright vivid green. Or was it just how our TV set was adjusted?

Overall and despite my comments above, I think the show got off to a good start and while there are different levels of application skill among the contestants (actually thought it might be more even than in the past), I think this seems to be a pretty talented group with some really nice design vision. A balanced team (application/design) can go pretty far and allow those with less experience to gain some competition experience before the individual work comes center stage.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last night's show mentioned working with burlap quite a few times. Was I sleeping during previous seasons or have they always used burlap in the molding process? I've never cast any kind of mold so this burlap thing really caught my attention and I could swear this was the first I was hearing about the use of it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
One last comment from last night's show. While the detailing on the green lizzard guy was amazing from both artists, were you guys liking the color intensity of it? No one on the show commented on it as I recall and I just thought it made that beast look artificial. I will describe it akin to a paint color I might have used on one of those Godzilla model kits back when my brother and I were growing up...bright vivid green. Or was it just how our TV set was adjusted?/QUOTE]

I noticed this too. Also, part of the chalange was that the makeup be sexy/kissable. Did that look sexy or kissable to you? Not me.

There seems to be a alot of talent on this season based on the previews. I just wish they spent more time showing the design process (or at least more time during the walk through with Mr Westmore) and less time on the judging. Half the show is the judging.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last comment from last night's show. While the detailing on the green lizzard guy was amazing from both artists, were you guys liking the color intensity of it? No one on the show commented on it as I recall and I just thought it made that beast look artificial. I will describe it akin to a paint color I might have used on one of those Godzilla model kits back when my brother and I were growing up...bright vivid green. Or was it just how our TV set was adjusted?/QUOTE]

I noticed this too. Also, part of the chalange was that the makeup be sexy/kissable. Did that look sexy or kissable to you? Not me.

There seems to be a alot of talent on this season based on the previews. I just wish they spent more time showing the design process (or at least more time during the walk through with Mr Westmore) and less time on the judging. Half the show is the judging.

That's a good point OctoberDream about sexy/kissable. They used that as a judging point on another design and came down kind of hard on them too. And I agree with you, I saw no possible attraction that would make me ever want to kiss that green creature. Totally all animal. Definitely zip sex appeal as well. I can't recall what the Beauty for it looked like. Was she at all reptilian? If so maybe I could see it in a different light.

As professionals in the field I do like to hear the judges critiques on the work so I'm probably not as critical of the large amount of time devoted to judging. But you're right the judging portion between the two challenges does take up a good amount of episode time. I think all of us here would love to see more of what goes into the molding and application phase.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,117 Posts
I started watching this the other day in the afternoon- reruns- but wow! I thought I wouldn't be interested in how they make masks, but its so much more than that. How these contestants can come up with these insanely original ideas day after day is amazing to me! My boys were watching too. There was a contestant named Scott from Pasadena,CA who stated he makes latex props for a living. I wonder what his business is and if he is a member on the forum.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Ok, I'm all caught up, saw episodes 1&2 and tonight's episode. Not a fan of the "get out jail free card" but we'll see how that changes the outcome. Doesn't look like there is a front runner so far but Rashard seems to be the complete package, he sculpts well and fabricates very good too. Tyler totally surprised with his awesome vulture - like dragon.

So far the offerings are on par with previous seasons even though they are touting bigger and more creative but the vulture/dragon and the aquatic beast were pretty darn cool, looking forward to next week

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,487 Posts
When I saw some of the designs I thought "Have they ever actually SEEN a dragon?" OK not a REAL dragon, Smaug's not hanging out in anyone's backyard & understand they don't want to & most likely can't do a straight up dragon, but some of them read way more reptile than dragon. The right person won last nite.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am a bit biased. Tyler lives in the same small CT town where I work. He did do a great job though last night. The ice dragon was creative and complete.

Eric

1 - 20 of 73 Posts