Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Haunting Girl
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always have some period of time where I just can't get into doing anything Halloween, but it's seriously bad this year. Usually by now I'm itching to get the entire yard done and get frustrated that I just can't put everything out right away. But this year I just can't get myself to even dig out the bag-o-web box and the Halloween flags to get started. Everyone is asking how much I've done and I have to admit that I haven't really done anything. Even my landlords are wondering what's going on, because they like to plan when the last lawn cut is going to be.
I've tried watching some movies and listening to old Hauntcast and Halloween music, but nothing is working. Today I'm actually forcing myself to get outside and start decorating. It's not like I want to skip Halloween and I have so many ideas on what to do this year, but the actual building stuff and set up is where I'm struggling at this point. I don't know why I'm in this Halloween funk.
Hopefully once I get the skull rolling I'll feel better.

Anyone else struggling this year?

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
You sound EXACTLY like me this year! I normally am out in my garage tinkering around with whatever new thing I've got going and counting the days till I can put it out. Not his year. Nope. The only reason my cemetery will get set up this weekend is because my daughter will be in and wants to help. Otherwise I would probably keep putting it off and making excuses for it. Like you, It's not that I'm not into Halloween, just can't get into actually making it happen. Never had a year like this and I hate it, but I'm glad I'm not alone!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I've started....building that is....don't know if I'll get finished in time to setup. Maybe that could be my haunt this year: Have the ToTs try and navigate my cluttered garage while I am trying to finish building props. I could probably put up a list of parts and tools that are missing somewhere in the garage and give the ToTer that finds them an extra candy bar.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm all ready to go, my DH is kind of dragging his feet though. ;) Ready or not we are pulling the stuff out of the storage unit tomorrow and getting started. Hope you guys find your get up and go energy soon! Sometimes even though it's hard/daunting to start a task, once you get going, then you get into it. :)

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
you know, we have a lot of people who are feeling lackluster this year - either taking a break or downsizing or not yet motivated. I choose to blame the stores. The last few years, the merchandise has lacked any real bang, and the stores have been late to deliver. I think that has given a lot of people a sense of demotivational downtrodding.

·
Registered
665 Posts
This is me this year. I am usually done by now and I just started... so it's finally kicked in somewhat, but it's a struggle so far.

I did put my CVS Headless Horseman together and he's freaking cool!

Reactions: scareme

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
you know, we have a lot of people who are feeling lackluster this year - either taking a break or downsizing or not yet motivated. I choose to blame the stores. The last few years, the merchandise has lacked any real bang, and the stores have been late to deliver. I think that has given a lot of people a sense of demotivational downtrodding.
I have noticed the trend on the boards this year. Many of our long-time regular posters seem to have disappeared completely. For what it's worth, I can't put any blame on retailers. I'm not much of a shopper and most of my props and décor are homemade or heavily modified basics. What's on the store shelves really has no effect on me. For me. it's mostly lack of energy. Maybe I'm just getting old!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Agreed with the feeling, I have a bit of a cold too which saps my energy but usually I have to hold myself back until October. I agree it's not the retailers fault and the weather finally got cooler. Even have seen a couple houses decorated so it's not avoiding being the first one, my family is supporting too and have quite a few props made already, good plans in place but actually doing it - just not ready in my head.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I too, have been feeling a bit out of sorts from the season. I still absolutely love Halloween, for sure, I just am having a hard time getting motivated to get into it and do anything. We got the decorations up on time, but we just weren't as into it...it was almost forcing ourselves to get it done. I have props that I excitedly started working on over the summer, then just never felt like finishing them. We had a rough past couple of months or so with family health issues, money, time...so maybe that's why I am in such a blah mood, but things have gotten a bit better and I still just don't feel like doing anything. I get waves of Halloween spirit here and there, but then I'm back to blah. I am really trying to get myself back to happy and into the Halloween/holiday mood. Like others, I have never had this happen before...it's rather depressing. It's only the beginning of October, so hopefully we will all get back to normal, soon.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The way everyone is talking it sounds like burnout. All the work all the anticipation now that it's here it's like, 'whatever'. Oh really, start with the first piece, check it out, then move onto the next, before long you'll be in the grove and be done with the setup. I'm excited about tomorrow because that is when I'm starting. I have new props going in and I'm still not sure where to put them so I'm looking forward to that. Also what I like the weather is supposed to change dramatically that will also put me into the mood. Hang in there kids.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
726 Posts
I know how you feel. I had a hard time getting going but I'm rolling now. Since it's such a huge effort we have alternated big and small decorating to every other year. Last year was supposed to be big but I married off my eldest daughter and had no time to do anything. I did outside decorating but inside the house was pretty bare until the last minute. We skipped on the walkthrough and party was pizza and no costumes.

So I promised everyone that this year would be big but I procrastinated for a year and even considered cancelling again. Work has been a real b!tc& and been sucking up all my time. Finally I said no way I'm in and got my butt in gear. I won't get as much done as I had hoped but remember it will be 1000% more than most people.

I also feel that sometimes I do better work when I cram for my exam....many sleepless nights and constantly making lists of what I need to get done. :)

I totally agree with Deadview.......

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I wouldn't blame the stores either. Nor am I burntout...I just am a procrastinator and have a tough time figuring out where to start. On Labor day weekend, I figured I had plenty of time...but we ain't assembling stuff from Ikea, we're building from scratch and that involves a lot of trial and error.

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
965 Posts
Im also having a hard time this year!! I get waves of Spirit but then it dies soon. I haven't set anything out yet. I think part of my issue is that i have SO MUCH STUFF its just overwhelming to go through. Im not even sure where to start. Plus its been warm here, so that hasn't helped. DH and I own three business' between us and work has been extremely difficult the past 12 months, and it has really taken a toll on us. Sigh..I leave for LA for business Sunday, home Wed..hoping when I get back the weather will be cool and I can start planning my haunt. I did manage to get the window of our store decorated...so thats a start! Glass Luxury vehicle Window Display case Floor

·
Registered
491 Posts
Im having horrible time too.. cant seem to get anything done ither then work n school... and today first day opening of our southside.wv haunted house im excited but tired my yard is barly decorated even Neighbour r askin about it .....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, this is me this year too. Usually I build and plan all with set beginning late September. Usually I am chomping at the bit to start. Not thus year. This weekend I have a check list that has to be done or else I won't have the time to complete the corn field or cemetery. But I'm dragging my feet and it is hard to make myself get started. Now deadlines are looming and I just see it all as work instead of fun the way it usually is for me.

I'm not sure what is different this season with lack of motivation and can't seem to pin it down to any one thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a really late start this year on prop building. The Summer was just miserable and the mosquitos have been insane this past month so being outside has just been really unpleasant. However, the weather is finally cooling down and we've got a few decorations out in the yard now so the spirit of the season is starting to get into us. I'm hoping to get some more work done of my ground breaker zombies this weekend, but we'll see how that goes.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Yesterday when my husband got home, we got everything down from the attic so it's definitely happening! Whew! That gets harder every year. Our attic is really just crawl space and "crawling and hauling" is not as easy as it was when I first started this ten years ago. Plus, I just have so much more stuff. I can see that if I continue to do this I'm going to have to acquire some on-the-ground storage. Not sure if that means putting up a shed of some kind or what but something's got to change. Besides the crawling difficulty, the heat up there takes a terrible toll on my foam board tombstones, etc.
Anyway, I'll spend today making any necessary repairs and tomorrow it will all get set up with my daughter's help. At least she's excited. Or I think she is. She may be faking it too for all I know.

·
The Haunting Girl
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a little webbing on some of the bushes out front yesterday, added little things in the garden, and changed the light bulbs to the blue ones. It looks really sad out there. I didn't even do the tree yet... I don't even think the flags will make it out this year. It rained this morning, so I'm sure I'll have to re-do everything since I know I did a poor job yesterday.
The hubby was excited to see things getting started, but I still feel blah.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts