Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As there is neither definitive proof nor disproof at the moment, who is to say that ghosts do not exist? If believing in an afterlife comforts someone, I see no harm in that.
If anything it harms people, you know how many people who are afraid of ghosts? And people still preform exorcisms on the mentally ill to take away the "spirits". A quote I love is "Don't be afraid of ghosts, the living can hurt you'" -I can't remember who said this

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,279 Posts
As the initial post is sounding rather judgmental regarding others beliefs, I'm posting a reminder that per the forum rules: No personal attacks or insults are tolerated.

If you would like to discuss paranormal beliefs, then you are free to do so, but any antagonism or otherwise rudeness/judgments will result in this thread being closed.

Reactions: Greenwick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi...the truth is..based on the bible there is no such thing as ghosts...but there millions of demons..who can impersonate ghosts..etc....the soul never dies..it either goes to heaven or hell.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi...the truth is..based on the bible there is no such thing as ghosts...but there millions of demons..who can impersonate ghosts..etc....the soul never dies..it either goes to heaven or hell.
*sigh* i knew this would turn in to a religious thing

but i have to admit that's an interesting interpretation

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the initial post is sounding rather judgmental regarding others beliefs, I'm posting a reminder that per the forum rules: No personal attacks or insults are tolerated.

If you would like to discuss paranormal beliefs, then you are free to do so, but any antagonism or otherwise rudeness/judgments will result in this thread being closed.
I mean no disrespect, i just think the idea of ghosts is silly and i want to know why people still believe in them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I mean no disrespect, i just think the idea of ghosts is silly and i want to know why people still believe in them.
What part makes it silly? Are you talking about all ideas about spirits or just traditional haunting? Western ideals? Eastern philosophy? The concept of "ghosts" is in virtually every culture, some of them being an integral part of said culture, belief system, religion, etc. You can go ahead and not believe in ghosts all you want, but your tone is tipping the line of judgemental and rude, especially since your original post didn't even try to make a point.

I believe in spirits to some capacity because of personal experience, belief and upbringing that has yet to be disproven as anything but. I am open to interpretation and scientific fact, but I am also not egotistic enough to believe there can't possibly be things that exist that are beyond human comprehension.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What part makes it silly? Are you talking about all ideas about spirits or just traditional haunting? Western ideals? Eastern philosophy? The concept of "ghosts" is in virtually every culture, some of them being an integral part of said culture, belief system, religion, etc. You can go ahead and not believe in ghosts all you want, but your tone is tipping the line of judgemental and rude, especially since your original post didn't even try to make a point.

I believe in spirits to some capacity because of personal experience, belief and upbringing that has yet to be disproven as anything but. I am open to interpretation and scientific fact, but I am also not egotistic enough to believe there can't possibly be things that exist that are beyond human comprehension.
I mean traditional hauntings (like the ones discussed on this forum) As i'm not trying to turn this into a religious debate i'm not going to disclose my opinions on the other beliefs you mentioned. I'm not judging anyone that believes in ghosts, i think the belief itself is silly. I couldn't care less what you believe unless it's harming people. I have no idea where you got the idea that i'm saying its impossible for ghosts to exist. I obviously don't believe in ghosts but they could exist.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I mean traditional hauntings (like the ones discussed on this forum) As i'm not trying to turn this into a religious debate i'm not going to disclose my opinions on the other beliefs you mentioned. I'm not judging anyone that believes in ghosts, i think the belief itself is silly. I couldn't care less what you believe unless it's harming people. I have no idea where you got the idea that i'm saying its impossible for ghosts to exist. I obviously don't believe in ghosts but they could exist.
lol okay, then what was the point of this thread? Maybe if you'd actually written a post expressing these things and opening a dialogue, things would not have gone south so early. Something like "hey, I don't personally believe in ghosts, would those who do mind sharing their point of view so I can understand better?"

I also didn't really see anything about religious debates? I was talking more about how culturally tied in ghosts can be. Chinese culture, for instance, has very strong ties to spirits, ghosts, and the honoring of ones deceased family.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It actually was a simple question although a bit condescending, however I understand your point of view. So here's my simple answer. No I don't do not believe in ghosts. Nor do I believe that the Sun will rise in the East or that fish swim in water. I know they do, "belief" plays no part in it. Why? Because I have seen them myself. Being skeptical by nature, as a kid I once sat up all night on my parent's barn to confirm that the Sun does indeed rise in the East. Most of us have seen fish swim in water and I have seen ghosts or disembodied entities if you like. Some people have a greater or lesser range of perceptions than others. And just because something is out of your range does not mean that it does not exist. Are they mean or malevolent? Just take a sampling from the next 10 people that you meet and it will be about the same. Add to that a good dose of confusion and upset if their body died recently and their typical personality reactions on dealing with loss will come to the surface. There is no point in sharing anecdotal stories or attempts at proving anything. To say that you saw a ghost is not much different from saying that you saw a book in the library ... no big surprise, no big news here. It's always nice to see someone at least looking in this direction.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol okay, then what was the point of this thread? Maybe if you'd actually written a post expressing these things and opening a dialogue, things would not have gone south so early. Something like "hey, I don't personally believe in ghosts, would those who do mind sharing their point of view so I can understand better?"

I also didn't really see anything about religious debates? I was talking more about how culturally tied in ghosts can be. Chinese culture, for instance, has very strong ties to spirits, ghosts, and the honoring of ones deceased family.
I have no idea the point of this thread, part of me wanted to ruffle some feathers and the other part really wanted to know why people still believe in ghosts. The tittle is simple click bait, i want to say it was to offended people but HAHAHA NOPE, DEFIANTLY NOT OFFENDING ANYONE, HAHAHAHA, WHY WOULD I DO THAT!? please don't delete this thread frankie's girl.

About the religious thing, I thought you were trying to talk about religion in your last question, and this one kid was talking about the bible.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Actually ..When Thomas saw Jesus after he rose from the dead..Jesus said to Thomas " I am not a ghost" ..So where does the bible say there is no such thing as ghosts?
I myself am no Bible Scholar but I have a fried who went to Lancaster Bible College, is an ordained minister and he is teh one that brought that item to my attention when we were discussing Christianity and belief in Spirits and ghosts. I ask you this question so I can discuss it with him when I see him early next month..not to start a Bible quote war or anything!

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually ..When Thomas saw Jesus after he rose from the dead..Jesus said to Thomas " I am not a ghost" ..So where does the bible say there is no such thing as ghosts?
I myself am no Bible Scholar but I have a fried who went to Lancaster Bible College, is an ordained minister and he is teh one that brought that item to my attention when we were discussing Christianity and belief in Spirits and ghosts. I ask you this question so I can discuss it with him when I see him early next month..not to start a Bible quote war or anything!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I believe this:
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
~ Carl Sagan

I am a skeptic. Plain and simple.

However, I will not make the blanket statement, "Ghosts don't exist".
To do so, indicates I've closed off options to information in my existence. I won't be interested in any investigations to determine if there is indeed some sort of "ghost" energy / activity / phenomenon / (apply label here) that can be scientifically proven. The bias leans toward "NO GHOSTS" - belief will follow that bias, regardless of reality.

On the flip side of the coin, if I'm of the opinion "Yes, there are ghosts. I'm certain of it.", then I will be seeing evidence for them wherever I look (and for that, all one has to do is look at the Paranormal section of this forum - believers are everywhere). The bias leans toward "GHOSTS EXIST" - belief will follow that bias.

I find flaws in both arguments. To date, I've yet to be presented with any evidence that unequivocally proves or disproves the existence of ghosts.
(and keep in mind, I'm someone who's had at least one "ghost-like" encounter. It took place in a mundane, public place, with a physical object having been moved - of which, I took possession for examination and experimentation)

People are fallible...massively fallible on a grand scale. Our brains delude us on a constant basis, in an effort to make sense of a world of input constantly barraging us. The colors I see are not the colors you see. The sounds I hear are not the sounds you hear. Smells, touch, tastes...and then whatever else our brains fills in...these are all subjective.
To claim the unknown is ghosts is a way of simplifying the world, like religion. It makes reality easier to digest, and snips off the dangling questions that otherwise cause distress and distraction.

Personally, I like to be open to all possibilities - the more science learns about our reality, the more perplexing and interesting the questions become. To close one's mind to anything could mean missing the next great question.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Personally, I don't believe in ghosts which is ironic b/c I've had some unexplained experiences that most people would attribute to ghosts.

It may be 2015 but there are still lot s of things we don't understand. For example, scientists still don't know how cats purr.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts