Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to get a good entry, reliable and not too pricey air compressor. I know nothing about air compressors :confused:
We purchased a spiderweb gun last year (still have to find, as it got lost in all the boxes of Halloween stuff) and would like to buid my first pneumatic prop as well. Is the following air compressor a good buy?
HDX 2-gallon Twin Stack Compressos

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Darth. To directly answer your question I have not used the HDX compressor. I looked at some reviews and they were mediocre at best.
The real question is will it do what you want it to do. The important factors are scfm (how much air it can deliver) and how much air it stores (you can add an air tank to help with this). How many props will it need to run? What type of props (pop-ups, lungers, blasters, tickets, etc.). Different props have different requirements. How often will the prop operate? If you can provide a little more info I will try to help let you know what would be recommended and please feel free to ask any questions you have. Thank you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Horrorman, thanks for the answer!
I'm looking to do something that pops up. As I mentioned I know nothing about pneumatics and will search on the how tos to make something easy.
I go crazy by making over the entire house and do get a ton of people that come over to see whats new every year not to mention the obligatory Halloween party for the adults and sometimes the kids. This means that when we do have the prop on, it will operate frequently.

·
Registered
290 Posts
No problem. I am happy to help a fellow Virginian.
Since you will be using a pneumatic cylinder the air demand will not be as much as an 'open' system.
I have a link to a compressor http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-3-5-Gal-135-psi-Pancake-Compressor-PCFP02003/203254365?N=c27pZ1z0v5qk#.UhohlYzD-M8
I do not want to tell you what to buy. Ultimately the decision is yours. At the lower end on the price range this seems to be a good compressor. It should handle the prop you have in mind. If you have any more questions about the parts or when you start your build just let me know and I will try to help you through it.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My compressor has to be available to run every night of the year. I was buying air cooled compressors, then it began breaking the plastic off-center fan on a regular basis, which we had to order and pay about $20 for.
I bought a big air-cooled compressor , a good brand name but it had problems right away. I went back to Menards and they told me to go see a private business who would take care of their problem!? "GGGR!"
I began buying small compressors made in China which are different because like the much larger compressors they have a crankcase with OIL in it to keep it running better, longer. I bought the warrantee from Farm & Fleet and I did get a new one from them after somehow oil got into the air tank as something major broke inside. I also once bought a compressor made in Italy for $100 a pancake model just barely big enough to do what I needed it to do, but it still runs, it is air-cooled.
Recently being back in Farm & Fleet it seems as if they quit selling the brand of the China oil-lubed compressor...?
Why does this all have to be so stressfull? Which style of compressor? What brand? Maybe this is why pro haunters sometimes spend $1,ooo or more on one , big compressor?
After you begin haunting with a compressor, there will be compressor noise to deal with . I have mine in a small building, just for them with insulation to deaden their whirring ratrtat litany.
I have a second small compressor I decided to use in-part as a sound maker installed under the hood of my wrecked car, when it randomly begins running I exclaim, "OMG! My car started up after 12 years! As the UFO rises up from behind a near hiding place, "Oh! IT's a UFO! He's our "Designated Driver, he will give you a ride Home, of course it might take awhile since he has to perform some of those experiments on you first!"

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Find a harbor freight near you. They have a 3 gallon pancake compressor for $39.99 with coupon. And you can get the coupon from their website. They also have a 20 gallon single cylinder compressor they have on sale for just over $100.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem. I am happy to help a fellow Virginian.
Since you will be using a pneumatic cylinder the air demand will not be as much as an 'open' system.
I have a link to a compressor http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-3-5-Gal-135-psi-Pancake-Compressor-PCFP02003/203254365?N=c27pZ1z0v5qk#.UhohlYzD-M8
I do not want to tell you what to buy. Ultimately the decision is yours. At the lower end on the price range this seems to be a good compressor. It should handle the prop you have in mind. If you have any more questions about the parts or when you start your build just let me know and I will try to help you through it.
Good luck and have fun.
Thank you all for the info. I ended up getting the Porter Cable Compressor as it was on sale for $79. I figured it wasn't too expensive and it didn't put a big dent in my Halloween budget for the year.
Now need to get back to building the fence so I can move to the rest of my to do list.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Others will probably read this thread as well so I'll add my two cents.

As horrorman said, the SCFM is the most important number when looking for a compressor. The gallons not so much because that's just the size of the tank and the PSI, even less so. Just about any compressor will put out enough PSI to run a pneumatic prop of the type we usually build on here. You can always add cheap air tanks if you need more storage. A large tank will take longer to fill but the compressor won't have to run as often once it's full. With a small tank the compressor will have to run almost constantly if your prop is activated frequently. I keep waiting for some place to start selling a 100 gallon 'compressor' - one that takes all night long to fill the tank because the compressor is so small. It would be a great selling point though.

As far as what size you actually need, everyone needs to tell us what props they plan on using and how often they expect it be activated before a recommendation can really be made. You don't want to buy something just because it's cheap that won't do what you want it to do, but at the same time you don't want to spend extra money on one that's too big. You may want to add a second or third prop next year, so keep that in mind too. Better to buy a bigger one than you need now than having to buy a second small one next year.

Finally, a larger compressor will allow you to use air tools and air brushes. Those are relatively easy to figure out what size you need though because the tool usually tells you right there on the box what it's minimum PSI and SCFM requirements are.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again to all, lots of information. I'm sure ill be asking lots of questions when I start building my prop

1 - 9 of 9 Posts