Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a political site, nor do I want it to be. But I was just wondering if the election is going to overshadow our favorite Holiday?
My main concern is everyone is going to be so focused on who to vote for, that no one will want to participate in Halloween activities.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Although the journey to this election has been nothing short of SCARY, it won't affect the second biggest US holiday. People still have livelihoods, lots of new parents wanting to take their kids out for trick or treat, families carrying on age old traditions. Have no fear:)

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I don't think so. We've had "hated" presidents before. It's going to be the same this time around, unless a third candidate somehow manages to get elected. And I'm not taking sides; they are both hated equally, as far as I can see.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I dont think it will effect foot traffic...at least i sure hope not. Im hoping guests will enjoy a break from all the fuss and want to come unwind and have fun at our party.

that being said, our theme this year is harry potter and one of our proclamation boards actually prohibits political talk at our party lol...anyone caught conversing on the subject will cause their house to lose points....fingers crossed this helps curb some heated debates ;)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Probably no effect on Halloween. But in such a polarized political climate, it probably wouldn't be too smart of folks to have political yard signs decorating their front lawns during TOT.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I think people will be glad to have a break from the election for a few days before the proverbial hitting the proverbial.
The shiznit hitting the fan and raining down on us all?;)

I have the feeling that Halloween may be even more popular this year, with many folks not wanting to face the reality of the upcoming election:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
One year when an election was being held shortly after Halloween, a candidate, I'll call him Mr. Smith had volunteers cover our neighborhood with fliers in a plastic sack with his name on it. I didn't intend to vote for Mr. Smith, and just threw everything away. Towards the end of the night a young man and his mother came to our house. He was carrying the bag with Smith's name on it, and when he opened it for candy, I pointed to it and said, "That's they scariest thing I've seen all night." He was embarrassed and told his Mom, I told you I didn't want to carry it. Mom said she got home late and that was all she could find. I felt bad, and told him I was just kidding and gave him some grocery bags. This year I'm not kidding with anyone. But if someone comes up with a ### bag, they just might find a rock in it. lol

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,128 Posts
This thread has certainly brought the :D !!

The only way it will affect the holiday is more crazy political costumes than usual.

But I don't mind those as long as they're creative, I'm good. Like don't just go as Trump, go as Trumpnado (turn that mess on his head into a tornado) or Hillary in an Orange is the New Black type jumpsuit, Obama as a literal lame duck (give him a limp, some wings & a duck bill), or Bernie as one of the Communist Leaders, Stalin, Kruschev, Berniechev, I like that, (or maybe Bernie as Larry David), just be creative with it.

I may not agree with you on the political stance of the chosen candidate but at least it would be original & it would show that someone put some thought into it & didn't take the easy way out,

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If you live in a major League baseball city, and that team is still in the running, (World Series) your Halloween will be affected , according to those running pro haunts from a few years passed.
Someone might be tempted to contact someone into Black Magic, just to make one team win the first four contests.. "Enough, already!" hahah!

My political, Halloween costume would have me being maybe Abe Lincoln , walking around with a large "Spanking Paddle" with some candidates names on it.
you get a tall guy who used to chop down trees for a living, he could Really swing that paddle!

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is only one Halloween that sticks out in my mind that had any type of influence over it and that was after 9/11-Everybody was on their best behaviors-even the typical teenage hooligans.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,128 Posts
And for those NFL fans, the Monday Night Football game for Halloween is Vikings vs. Bears.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts