Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a fog chiller but since I do not have bushes to hide it behind or under, I was pondering alternate methods of hiding it. The first idea I came up with was to make a large tombstone, but then I thought it might look odd being that large. My next idea was to make a fake hollow boulder to put over the fog chiller.

I think I could do this by using chicken wire, some paper mache and paint. This would be lightweight and easy to move around but I am uncertain how natural it would look or how to waterproof it.

My second thought was to use the chicken wire, landscape fabric and quick-crete. I think this would look more natural but would not be as easy to move around.

Has anyone here ever tried to make hollow boulders and if so how did you do it?

·
Defender of Blucky Honor
1,051 Posts
Good Idea. Addsome moss to it, put a bird or two on it, maybe even a skeleton. This has potential. As for making it how about "Monster Mud"?

Is this in a well lighted area? If not simply use a wool blanket, from a distance they cannot tell. To hide it better, as moss etc.

In the movies they make them out of foam!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a very large container of the stuff I bought when I wanted to attach the flowers to our first headstone. It worked well for that and they were cloth flowers. Are you suggesting putting it over the paper mach'e? That might work well, but it also might work well just putting it over cloth that covers the wire hollow shape too. That would would take much less time than making paper mach'e.

As far as being in a well lighted area, I was thinking about placing it under the large tree in our Cemetery haunt, light from the spotlight we put on our cemetery sign might shine on it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The stone sounds like a good idea in theory but its been my experiance to expect the unexpected. Weather plays a big factor in all my yard stuff being we have quite a bit of rain in October. With that said, if you live in the dust bowl I say go for it. If you get some rain, paper mach'e may not be the answer. I would go with Monster Mud with a heavy dose of sealer. Polyurethane, or Thompsons Water Seal should do it.

If you live where I do, I would abandon the whole faux rock thing and go with something a bit more weather resistant that also has its place in a graveyard. Toe pincher ground breaker coffin should do the trick. It belongs in the cemetery, sturdy and roomy enough for what you need it to do, easy enough to build, and best of all its weather resistant.

Hope this helps, Marc V.

·
Defender of Blucky Honor
1,051 Posts
If it is under a tree, then the blanket alone would easy. I like easy, easy works and leaves you more time for the other things. Good luck.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
A crazy idea on Halloween forum....... :eek: .......OMG, the insanity.........what next.... oh ya that's what we do here, crazy ideas....LoL
I love it, a boulder / rock to hide a chiller, awesomely crazy idea ! :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
I did this last year and it worked great!!! Not a whole lot of work either. I just used a foam ice chest and made a frame with chicken wire and paper mache to fit right over it. If time is an issue perhaps a prefab rock like evil eyes suggested would be even better!! This is how the rocks turned out

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I would like to try and make it. If I can not get it done in time for Halloween it will be put on next year's list of to do's and I will just use the cooler, painted black.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.