Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, are there any sorts of themes or decorations that you just will not do? What are your reasons? Is it offensive to you? Too scary? Too much trouble?

I personally refuse to do anything with spiders. I'm terrified of them. I'll put up cobwebs, and occasionally I'll use VERY FAKE, glow-in-the-dark rubber spiders, but nothing that's realistic. I don't like them.

I also won't use zombies. Mostly because I think it's overdone. Yes, zombies scare the crap out of me, and often my worst nightmares involve them, but for decorations they don't bother me... I just find them boring.

I also don't do gory stuff. In my opinion, when it's not realistic, it's just laughably fake looking. Then when it is realistic, it's too well done, and I find it gross. That and the fact that usually anything red - jelly "dripping blood" window clings, fake blood, jelly guts, etc. - tends to stain badly, and we don't own this house. I doubt the landlady would appreciate it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Here are a few things that I wont do.:

1) No real fire.
2) No squirting Blood. (I try to stay away from blood altogether but sometimes it's ok if done right)
3) No props that might not be PC (i.e. racist.)
4) No props that might need a "R" rating. I am strictly PG13 or PG.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't think I would ever do a carnival type theme. Of all things, carnival themes at haunts scare the CRAP out of me. But I enjoy the real ones.....am I weird?

·
Registered
372 Posts
We want kids to come and enjoy. We do have limits very much like October Dream.

We do have a PG13 mad doctor scene which we tell parents beforehand and it is an enclosed area.
We have no actual jumping out props or actors.
We like it to be a bit spooky and some comical stuff as well.

For us this seems just right. There is always some kids scared to walk on the yard but most just laugh.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I really don't have anything I wouldn't do, should the mood strike me. I don't do pirates or aliens, though I enjoy seeing other people's work with these themes. Just not a personal preference. I don't mind gore, either, though I agree that it is often done very tastelessly.

I don't do "cutsey" decor, but I love seeing it! Whenever someone takes the time to make a display, it gets me excited, any kind of decor at all. It's such a wide-ranging night, where anything goes and all the rules are put on hold, that's part of the reason why I love it so much! :D

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I don't do suicide, gore, torture, or murder scenes, because there's just too much of that in real life. I don't find it scary, and it usually is gross to me, although I can handle blood in person (dismemberment, no thank you--in person or otherwise). I don't think it's fun for kids, and that's who I really decorate for.

I don't do aliens because I don't find them scary or realistic. I used to have a no witch, vampire, or werewolf rule too...and I've broken all of those (having found $1.00 and 25 cent masks for vampire and witch, and a "real" werewolf story that I couldn't pass up). I stand firm on the alien thing, though. If I lived near Roswell, I'd probably feel differently about it.

I don't do toxic waste scenes, because it doesn't fit my theme and usually involves gross malformations.

I don't put licensed characters in my scenes, because they don't fit with my abandoned graveyard/haunted house theme.

I don't do things like air cannons, because I can't stand the noise myself. Too close to a real explosion for my taste.

I don't have anything that touches anyone, because I don't want anyone touching my decorations.

I don't use dead babies or children in my scenes, because I would be upset if I was a parent who had lost a child, and saw that.

The only real fire that I use is in our real Jack o' lanterns, but they're not near ToTs, and usually carved last minute, so the insides are still damp enough to put out the flame if knocked over.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
We want kids to come and enjoy. We do have limits very much like October Dream.

We do have a PG13 mad doctor scene which we tell parents beforehand and it is an enclosed area.
We have no actual jumping out props or actors.
We like it to be a bit spooky and some comical stuff as well.

For us this seems just right. There is always some kids scared to walk on the yard but most just laugh.
Me too! We've got some tweens and teens, but more little TOTers than not. I like to do the "funny/scary" stuff. They seem to like the dressed up skeletons every year, so I try to keep it clean.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
yeah, i don't like those air-filled monstrosities; they look lazy and cheap to me. I am not a huge blowmold fan so any of them would have to particulary appealing to me.

we are trying to entice tots so we will stay on the 'g' side of the road...no guts/no gore.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dead babies, burning witches and clowns. Clowns scare me, dead babies...too wrong...and burning witches scenes tick me off cause it really happened and was SO wrong...and i'm a witch, i guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I hate inflatables, and I WILL NOT do rats! They're gross, and scare the crap outta me! ever since my sister put a fake one in a bag of chips and gave it to me when I was 8, I just won't do them. I have no problem with death or gore, but I don't usually do children... I might have a zombie child actor this year, but that's about as far as I go.. and the reason I do actors is so that everyone can have fun. they have common sense, so that teenagers get a bit more enthusiasm and scariness than the 4 year old pumpkin walking up the driveway... and the one room that I do have that's kinda like a swamp house / butcher house kinda theme is enclosed, and posted for people over 12...

·
Registered
135 Posts
No spiders. They terrify me, even the fake ones. I'll do spider webs but that is as far as it goes.

No aliens. I also don't find them scary like a few people here.

No dead babies and/or children. I draw the line here.

No dead dogs/cats. Some of those props are too lifelike. I wouldn’t be opposed to a skeleton but I've seen some gory, half eaten pets and livestock props.

No clowns. I don't find they scary. But perhaps I should reconsider this one because I know a lot of people are afraid of them.

No poop. It is too gross. Although, I've done the "kitty litterbox cake" before. (Which doesn't get eaten even though I think it is delicious).

·
Protector of the winged
1,490 Posts
I'm not an inflatable fan either... or gore... or zombie. But, since I live in a town that has too few people that actually decorate... I appreciate ANY attempt anyone does at decorating for Halloween. For my own yard I like more of the vintage spooky decor like witches, spiders, bats, cats, pumpkins, skeletons and tombstones... with lots of lights, webbing and fog :D

·
Protector of the winged
1,490 Posts
oh and I use lots of snakes. I found a project in the Better Homes and Gardens that I'd like to do which is a bunch of black snakes slithering out from under a door mat. Loved that idea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Any thing representing children is out for me.

I have multiple props that jump and thrash but all of them are at least 3 feet from the sidewalk - actually works better I think.

I've been pirate-themed (arr) for a few years but I do very little gore past skeletons with swords sticking out of them. I have one bucky lid with some very light gore to it but it's placed about 15 away from where it's viewed.

Nothing touches anyone - except this year my spitter eel (Elvis) will probably be felt a bit if you are close enough when he spits.

No constant strobes - hate those things - I have one strobe I trigger for lightning but it's not constant bam, bam, bam...

No Airhorns, I have one but it's so loud I think it would be abusive up close - although I have debated putting it on my roof ...but it really doesn't go with pirates so it's probably a stupid acquisition I made...

And no inflatables for Halloween - although inflatable Grinch goes up for post-halloween holiday season (whatever it's called) every year.

No lasers pointing right into eyes and none up since I am right below the flight path to OHare I would be shutdown or arrested very quickly.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
41 Participants
JennWakely
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing