Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this since 1995 or so , always kept it cool and out of the light but last year he started coming apart as you can see, he has gotten pretty stiff all over , 20150507_200105.jpg 20150507_200124.jpg 20150507_200140.jpg 20150507_200215.jpg is there a way to repair it or should i just let him go quietly into the night...

·
Registered
710 Posts
There are ways to patch these things, but it will continue to degrade.

What we've done in the past:
- replacing or adding more fill material (usually poly fiber fill or soft foam bits)
- or sometimes removing some fill - sometimes it's packed tightly, under pressure, and causes the weakening latex to explode
- wrap or patch with muslin, cheesecloth, or non-stick bandaging
- seal and cover with liquid latex or silicone sealant
- repaint and tone to match as best as possible

Sometimes you can fill small holes or cracks with silicone sealant (think caulk gun stuff).

It's a PITA, and again the bits you don't cover will continue to break down. Some people here report success with coating the whole piece with a silicone seal, but I'm not sure what that's going to do A) on something already going and B) over the long term.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks kakugori, I think I will try to fix it, cant really mess it up I guess, just wish there was a way to soften it up to slow down the degradation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you tried a petroleum jelly? Not sure if that would affect the latex but we have used Vaseline on vinyl car dashes before to keep them from deteriorating and it works great. It does attract dirt however. As far as the damage done, maybe stitch them together with some jute cord to give it a Frankenstein look.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i like that idea, and i scored some antique surgeon instruments maybe i'll give them some use!! hahaha

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
To help slow down damage, I recommend a UV protectant such as UV Tech. It's designed to protect, repair, rejuvenate, and "re-plasticize" a variety of materials including latex (fiberglass, rubber, nylon, plastics). You can use it for dive gear, camping gear, all sorts of stuff. I use it on my latex and plastic props before I put them out, and again before I store them away. I have some pretty old latex props that still look good, so I do think it helps. I use it both on the decorations that go outside in the sunshine, and the stuff that decorates the inside of the house.
Good luck with your repairs!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks ooojen, i'll get some and try it. Come get it nightmare, hahaha!

·
Registered
638 Posts
any thought to using flex seal? The clear stuff would give it a coat and may keep some of the other areas from deteriorating, and once the holes are patched, it will give it a uniform color that you can work off of to start your repainting process.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx for all the suggestions, I'll be tackling this project in the next couple of weeks , so i'll let you know how it comes out, or not, lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts