Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any liquid latex that doesn't cost an arm & a leg...& the other arm & leg?

I'm wanting to make a few custom molds & brush on latex seems pretty straight forward. I've searched all over & the stuff is not cheap. However, I am. If anyone knows of any deals or sales on liquid latex please let me know. And can anyone explain why latex is so much cheaper in Europe? What costs the equivalent of $20 there costs $50 here. :mad:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just bought some latex from theengineerguy.com in Atlanta. The have mask latex and molding latex at what I thought was reasonable. My local Walmart had latex in pint bottles for $10 which for the amount seems high.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I get all my mask liquid latex from monstermakers.com, it's really quality stuff. Been using it for years. You can get a gallon of it shipped to you for about $60. It's not necessarily cheap, but the value goes up with the quantity. Any latex you find at the halloween/party/craft store won't be awesome, and it will always be overpriced.
Not sure exactly what type of mold you're trying to make, but I would recommend checking out smoothon silicone. You can amazon prime their 2 pound trial kits of silicone for about $30 to $40, and it'll hold up much longer and give you an all around better casting than latex ever will. There's tons of tutorials on youtube to help give you an idea of how it works, and the smoothon product list is good to refer to for what type of silicone you want to use.

Good luck friend!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a source a number of years ago where I could get a gallon of mask latex for $30-$40. Last I checked they went out of business or no longer carried it.
But in the past 5yrs or so I noticed the prices have really jumped online.
Now if I need it, I'll buy the 16oz tub at Michaels or AC Moore. This stuff is NEVER on sale so I can use the 40-50% off coupon whenever I want.
(with coupon it usually comes out to $7 or $8 a pint)
It's a little on the thick side, so if needed I dilute w/ ammonia.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
I had a source a number of years ago where I could get a gallon of mask latex for $30-$40. Last I checked they went out of business or no longer carried it.
But in the past 5yrs or so I noticed the prices have really jumped online.
Now if I need it, I'll buy the 16oz tub at Michaels or AC Moore. This stuff is NEVER on sale so I can use the 40-50% off coupon whenever I want.
(with coupon it usually comes out to $7 or $8 a pint)
It's a little on the thick side, so if needed I dilute w/ ammonia.
Pretty much how I work. One of the mIchaels tubs is enough to make a mold of a skull and have some left over.

I've diluted with plain cold tap water too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts