Halloween Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Because this post got into my head and I have to entertain these thoughts until they burn out of my skull, Here's a list of notes about Disneyland/World that might help get the juices flowing if you still have those long term aims of Halloween-Land.

Disney Land/World
  • kid oriented from the rides to the doors to the trashcans
  • very few in the world and charges the premium for it
  • family oriented in that there are adult-oriented things to do as well as the kid stuff
  • rides are important, but building the landscaping and generic background buildings and such into the themes are just as important. The roller-coaster is the turkey at thanksgiving, not the turkey at a smorgasbord or a whole turkey at a Chinese take-out meal
  • Secret, adult-only restaurants and stores that are invite/$$$$-only
  • Designing the park areas that even being out in a variety of weather is enjoyable. Hot? Streams and fountains to keep it cooler. Raining? Canopies, umbrellas, and indoor areas. Windy? Thick walls in the direction of prevailing winds.
  • Mix of old school mechanical, old school slight of hands, newer animatronics, newer electronics systems/speakers, all together that help sell novelty and engaging and exciting experiences
  • Necessities of operation
    • Janitors
    • +Maintenance Crews
    • Character Actors
    • Security (inside park, outside park say in the parking lot, de-escalation experts for the drunks and maddened people)
    • Food vendors
    • Wait staff
    • Ride Operators
    • Medical staff (nurses, a couple doctors for heat stroke or a broken ankle)
    • Staff Corridors
    • Staff rooms/break rooms
    • Changing Rooms
    • Electrical Rooms
    • Pump Rooms
    • Hydraulic Rooms
    • Maintenance Rooms
    • Emergency generators
  • Rides/Experiences
    • Story rides/Dark rides that follow below or above tracks to sell aspects of the story better
      • Trackless dark rides are an expensive headache of a thing that exists
    • Roller-coasters
    • Log/float rides
    • Lazy River
    • River Rapids Ride (with possible observer interaction via aiming water turrets)
    • Tow Boat Rides
    • Singing/Talking Animatronic shows, food/restaurants often involved
    • Train Rides
    • Bumper Cars/boats
    • Witching Waves, a ride involving small cars being shoved around a oval track by offset reciprocating arms and a flexible metal floor.
    • Tea cups
    • Drop Rides
    • Pendulum Rides
    • Farris Wheel
    • Carousel/Merry go round
    • Slides (hillside set ones, tall ones on frame, drop ones that fell like freefall)
    • Swings (mostly the lifting and twirling ones)
    • Flying Scooters
    • Observation Towers
    • Merchandise integration, in character interactions and prop/background interactions (i.e. Harry Potter wands and Universal Studios, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card game from Disneyworld)
    • Fountain shows, light shows, laser shows, fireworks shows

I would also suggest looking at how Knott's Berry Farm does some of their set up. I know they coordinate things with the local schools, letting school bands play on the stage, having groups learn from reenactment groups and such (basically first half of visit is the "show off for the school" bit and the second half is middle+ schoolers running around and using the park). If you can integrate some educational aspects, especially hands on stuff, it can help maintain the year-round attraction.

·
Registered
904 Posts
A Halloween town stated as I pack

That would be so awesome and a dream come true. I also often dream of a huge scale “escape room” kind of business. In my head it is great with changing theme areas over several miles wanders off dreaming

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The ideal dream goal would be a whole community complete with a school, police station, fire department and a few other odds and ins All Halloween themed. Go watch the movie Halloweentown....of course I'd be the mayor as I was the one who "created it" 😋. Im prolly gonna just grow from whatever acrage I can find and see if any takers start coming around

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The ideal dream goal would be a whole community complete with a school, police station, fire department and a few other odds and ins All Halloween themed. Go watch the movie Halloweentown....of course I'd be the mayor as I was the one who "created it" 😋. Im prolly gonna just grow from whatever acrage I can find and see if any takers start coming around
I think you might draw some inspiration from Skullkrane. To my knowledge he's just a young guy with a dream to build a Halloween business from scratch, and the willingness to work hard for it. I do not know him personally, but I imagine he has had naysayers in his life. Perhaps he succeeds phenomenally, perhaps he doesn't, but no one will ever be able to say that he didn't take his shot.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
You see now rides are one of the things I dont plan to intricate because unless its straight out of a specific movie, then they aren't Halloween related. Id shift my focus to building exact replicas of the Jason camp, some of the warehouse scenes from Freddy and Mikes childhood house. I mean maybe a custom built carousel or small vendor games to win prizes but the main focus will probably be shows and performances, gift shops, foods...etc.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,614 Posts
....of course I'd be the mayor as I was the one who "created it" 😋...
Ummm, what you're describing is not a mayoral position. If you are "mayor" because you created it, that's more of a CEO role, or perhaps an autocratic role of some kind. Mayors are elected, and you're seizing control. 😁🤣 Not saying you wouldn't deserve it, but to be a mayor you have to be elected. Btw, I am just joking. 😁

Reactions: IowaGuy

·
Registered
255 Posts
It would be old school when a business owner owned the town. Self elected Mayor/Judge even Sheriff if need be.

I do have a store near me that is open year round with Halloween , not sure how he does it in a small community but he does which is great. He does branch out for other seasons and know he gets some really good deals out there.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts