Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a Gemmy Dr. Shivers for my mad science lab for a few years, but it either went for too much, or wasn't working properly. Of course Gemmy hasn't made them in a while. Well, I found one on ebay, but the seller, located in Detroit, didn't want to ship, hoping instead for a local buyer to pick up. With no bids, I emailed and asked if she would reconsider shipping. There were 2 other inquiries, and she decided to relist and offer shipping. I checked this evening, and there he was with a buy it now of $75.00. Needless to say I jumped at it!
My Gemmy Halloween Monster now has a buddy to hang out with!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As promised, here's a pic of the good doctor.
As mentioned in another thread, there are a few problems, but nothing that diminishes the joy of finally owning one!

Oh, that poor bugger in the rocking chair? A patiently waiting patient, of course!

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Oh, I LOVE that guy! For me the eyes and mouth really set him apart, aside from the lab attire of course. I didn't know that was his name but every so often I see him posted in pics. You lucky dog you! He will definitely make a great addition to your laboratory. Please try to come back here at halloween time and post a picture of him in your haunt, would love to see the lab too. BTW is he a static prop? I can almost hear him whispering in an evil tone about chemical compounds and such and cackling over some bit of lab humor.

·
Registered
495 Posts
As far as the head rotation goes, if it was the motor, I'd switch out the neck assembly from a spare "Halloween Monster" and try that. But I'd rather not go thru that process if it seems to be the circuit board.
It seems you checked out the motor but I will throw this out there anyway. Does the motor/gear seem to rotate freely by hand, doesn't bind or hang up? Did you try to bypass the circuit board and run power directly to the motor to see if it would turn on/spin?

would like to get the flashing eyes going!
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Now I'm not sure about the LED, I would try to power them up individually much like the motor above to ensure the LED are still good, they rarely fail. So Im assuming it isn't getting power from the circuit board. Trace back best you can with a volt meter to make sure you have power.

I'm not the best at circuit board level myself.
GL
-PB

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
propboy, I was fooling around with the neck/head rotation assembly last night. That puppy was dealing with alot of torque. All the gearing rotates freely, but mesh it with the motor gear and there is alot of resistance. Add to that the friction caused by the high-neck collar on the dr. smock, and I can see why it would burn out. There is also a nasty bend in the wire that runs into the neck - good sight for a broken wire...
I haven't trraced current throughout the figure yet, just did a visual and verified that solders were intact.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts