Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this brief. We were in my home town for the funeral of a beloved friend, the next-door neighbor from my youth. While at the wake I was formally introduced to the woman who bought my father's home in 2001, about 9 months after he passed. We spoke at length - she is very engaging and pleasant to talk to.
After a bit of conversation she asked me " Can I ask you...did your father smoke a lot?" Actually, he did. He eventually quit, but he smoked solidly for years. She said every so often she'll distinctly smell cigarette. She has had visitors that commented on it, asking her if she smoked - she never did. She then went on to say that she has heard noises, including foot steps - the first time was a night in September of that year, a year after my dad died. She knew she was awake because she had grabbed the phone and was ready to call the police when it stopped.
Her next question literally gave me goosebumps. She asked if he listened to the radio. My dad had tinnitus and had multiple radios on constantly - even all night. He couldn't stand silence. She told me that she sometimes hears a radio playing... in the house.
She also has heard light scratching at the door, as if a small dog wanted out. Yes, my dad had 2 chihuahuas at one time, a Pomeranian after them... She has heard other noises as well. She told the neighbor's wife about all this, who responded "Don't worry, Vince is harmless"...which is exactly the same thing I told her!
When I heard all this, my first response was, "I hope to God my dad has something better to do than to hang around our old house!" Both my wife and my sister (whom I called to tell about it) reminded me just how much a homebody my dad was, and how he loved nothing better than to be at home.
Karen, the current resident, says she isn't scared and has had a few conversations with my dad about it.
When I told my sister, she almost became nauseous over it and said that it tells her that our dad is in Purgatory and needs our prayers. On the other hand...he DID love the old house! Maybe it is his Heaven...
We have a standing invitation to visit her home.
After the funeral and luncheon, my wife and I stopped by my parent's grave site to pay our respects before we left for home. Standing there, I thought that maybe we should be visiting the old home instead!
So, if you are a praying type, say one for my dad, Vince White. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Sure, done. I'm not sure on the ghost thing, but from my perspective, IF a homebody sort was hanging around his old house, with beloved dogs, puttering around and listening to the radio -- that doesn't sound like purgatory to me. Not at all. It sounds like contentment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love hearing stories/experiences like this! Being a paranormal investigator and having been called about many such situations, it should be a comfort to you and your family knowing that he is still welcomed at his old place. He (and you) are blessed to have found such an understanding person to have bought the house. Not many would be that open minded and actually engage in conversation with a past resident. Makes me happy just thinking about it :)

She may find that in time, your father will move on or come and go. I am a firm believer in that how you were in life is how you are in death/after-life. Ghosts are people,they just no longer have the constraints of a physical body.

As oojen said, that isn't purgatory at all :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,850 Posts
Cigarette smoke can permeate EVERYTHING, especially if the person is a heavy smoker. It's the reason you see things listed on Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, etc. as being from a "smoke-free home." Unless the house was completely gutted, that smell could still linger & those that lived there get a bit "nose blind" (as those commercials say) to it all. I can also smell my neighbor's smoking. He's 50 yards across the street & if he's out on his deck smoking I can smell it.

Not that that's the reason she's smelling smoke but if she's worried about it all it could alleviate her fears a bit.

As for the radio sound, I do hope it's your dad's radio, it would be kinda cool if it were. I'm the same way, I've got tinnitus & like noise constantly. Unfortunately my husband can't stand the TV or radio on when he sleeps so we got a white noise machine for the times when we don't have a fan or window AC on.

This is something I found while googling about the music, something callled Musical Ear Syndrome. It's pretty interesting even if it's not what's happening to her, once again, it may alleviate her fears if she's worried:
http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/musical-ear-syndrome-in-people-with-normal-hearing/

Maybe one day manymanymany years from now someone will hear MY cats, footsteps & noise in this house.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Musical EaR? Or musical HEAD?
When I was in High School I had music running through my brain many times. It sounded like what most people would call "Classical Music".
I never have played any instrument I was not exposed to anything like classical music as a young child.
I could also make myself "High" just reading poetry that was written 100s of years ago.
I never did drugs, never drank , maybe my numerous concussions had something to do with all of it?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cigarette smoke can permeate EVERYTHING, especially if the person is a heavy smoker. It's the reason you see things listed on Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, etc. as being from a "smoke-free home." Unless the house was completely gutted, that smell could still linger & those that lived there get a bit "nose blind" (as those commercials say) to it all. I can also smell my neighbor's smoking. He's 50 yards across the street & if he's out on his deck smoking I can smell it.
Oh, there are perfectly normal causes for everything she mentioned. I said the same thing about cigarette smoke permeating the curtains, carpet, everything. When my wife and I would visit we had to stay at another location because the smell would affect my wife's allergies. The new owner said it took a long time to clear out the smell. That said, my dad died in 2000 and she (and guests) still occasionally get a whiff of cigarettes...The radio sound could certainly come from another source (the houses are cape cod style with less than 20' between them, so funny echoes can occur) or auditory hallucinations, as you mentioned. Same with the footsteps and other noises. So yes, there are normal explanations, and I hope that is the case. It may be the "John Edward syndrome" of her hitting particular triggers that seemed to apply to my dad. Believe me, we've discussed them all. Thanks for the info on auditory hallucinations.
And thank you all for the comforting words.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A couple coming through my house told me about their local school in the central part of Illinois. The woman works as a janitor there (and maybe her husband also works there?)
The second floor has been not used for classrooms or anything for many years. there is no electricity to that part of the building. When a School Teacher has to stay late in this building they always now try to leave when the janitors leave.
Some of them have had odd experiences there late at night.
They hear music playing from the second floor.
The way they described the building it sounds as if it is situated in the old familiar:"Middle of No where" location.
I personally would be a very poor judge of such things since I sometimes hear "Music" playing and I know where it originates... inside of my head.
Funny thing is "Someone" else is putting the coins in the slot and picking what THEY want to hear!
When i was a teenager the music in there often seemed to be Classical music from a few 100 years ago.
I am not a musician, i don't know how to play any musical instrument.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts