Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow, that is loud. The Tot's would jump out of their shoes. I like the effect but if you are close to it when it goes off that might not be good for the ears. What else are you going to have in your yard? Will it dominate or drown out your haunt when it goes off?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of putting it inside of a car i have on my lawn..maybe it wouldn't be as loud, if not i will just have to regulate the air and control the sound.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If its inside the car it definetly will cut down on the sound. This should make for a great prop I think! Send a pic to two after you get it all together.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Ouch - hope you have liability insurance for ear damage ... great concept but way too loud. Even a regular car horn would do the trick. A quick short blast. Gotta love the jump factor though - to the moon!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,318 Posts
Most incorporated towns and even HOAs have some sort of law about sound levels... it's not enforced unless someone reports you for it, most of the time.

I'd think it just being right out in the open would be too loud, but in the car would muffle it just enough to not cause hearing damage. ;)

Reminds me of a great classic dark ride scare, tho. The one where you're walking down a hall/tunnel and suddenly there are HEADLIGHTS and a loud car horn coming RIGHT AT YOU! :eek::D

(you could rig up something like that in a dark garage or something...)

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
in a word...yes! In 4 words...Children will crap themselves!

That is way too loud! Hahaha! :D You would most likely have the police come to your home for exceeding neighborhood noise ordinances. Unless the horn will be used in a hayride, I would think twice about doing it. :D

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
in a word...yes! In 4 words...Children will crap themselves!

That is way too loud! Hahaha! :D You would most likely have the police come to your home for exceeding neighborhood noise ordinances. Unless the horn will be used in a hayride, I would think twice about doing it. :D

maybe you can add a horn sillencer to each of the horns. that way its still loud just not "brown note" loud! :p

·
Registered
306 Posts
1. Yes, it's too loud.
2. Yes, there are noise ordinances, check your City, County, State laws.
3. Yes, It could hurt someone.
I would be very very careful with that prop!

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Most incorporated towns and even HOAs have some sort of law about sound levels... it's not enforced unless someone reports you for it, most of the time.

I'd think it just being right out in the open would be too loud, but in the car would muffle it just enough to not cause hearing damage. ;)

Reminds me of a great classic dark ride scare, tho. The one where you're walking down a hall/tunnel and suddenly there are HEADLIGHTS and a loud car horn coming RIGHT AT YOU! :eek::D

(you could rig up something like that in a dark garage or something...)
Aaaww! Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Disneyworld) was like that! So fun - your car would take you down the track until it ended in the final scene where you were staring at a train's main engine light coming straight for you! The sound of the train was loud - but not TOO loud. Just when you thought you would get run over by the train - the doors swung open and the ride was over. Whew! The effect was as much visual as audio. Loved that ride. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
YouTube - Horn For Halloween 2009

Is there any laws against loud objects?
Could this horn hurt someone in a way?
You freakin betcha, that looks like a Hadley Bully air horn, (I got two in my jeeps) they did not name it the bully for nothing. Her is its spec;

Audible for 1 mile (133 decibels)

That's ear damaging territory. I actually stopped using it it traffic as it scares the crap outta people and get them real angry! And its not even halloween!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts