Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on Youtube that people get a random flickering light effect from splicing an FS2 florescent starter into a light circuit. Has anyone done this consistently without problems? Like burning the house down etc. I saw a video somewhere that I thought showed a special bulb that just screwed into a socket with the same effect but can't find it again.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I bought a flicker unit off one of the members in the for sale by merchants. It works really well. I have also seen them for sale at a few of the higher end vendors like lights-alive and I think frightprops. However those are a bit more.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
When I first got my house I was actually, seriously considering to not have any electricity..... in the entire house, since the house was already 112 yrs. old and in many ways looked the part. Now how basically scary would that have been?
I do not have any whole-house sound track running here and really not much sound at all, mostly ambient old-house creaks and groans and sometimes an invisible woman crying in the front room at 2AM, or a doorknob doing that "Slow-slow twisting, like No-no twisting" back and forth, or a loud male voice calling me from the back of the wine cellar.. "JIM!" ("Well, at least after 16 years, you finally know my name!" )
Maybe sometimes that "Generator " electricity ruins the chances for the more subtle, electrical things to be noticed?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think what you were look for in the light was a flicker bulb and a Ace Hardware dusk to dawn plug. They still carried them a few weeks ago. I made one a few years ago and it has to be in a box with no external light. Plug a flicker bulb in a socket and place close to the dusk to dawn sensor. The sensor goes between what you want to flicker and power. It worked for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My biggest problem with the florescent starter flicker circuit is that it does not support much wattage. I tried to use one with a small string of lights and It was too much wattage for the starter. I guess it really depends on what your trying to accomplish. If your just trying to flicker one small bulb then the starter may work fine, however if your not very comfortable with electric work I would just stick with something made for the purpose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts