Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or does it feel like not much is going on this year for Halloween? People who traditionally do tons of build videos on YouTube aren't posting anything. I'm just not seeing a lot of excitement outside of the very close-knit haunt community. It's kind of disheartening. Maybe it will improve the closer we get, but right now, I'm kind of depressed about it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I agree @Cephus404. There is something about this year that feels slightly off. It’s like nothing is exactly wrong, but nothing is quite right either. We did everything the same and this year I can’t help but notice an undeniable “blah” and there’s no reason for it at all. Think we have all unnecessarily stressed ourselves out or just made Halloween unenjoyable somehow?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I was more excited about Halloween in July than I am now that it's October....I think my problem is up until this past Wed it's been 90 degrees outside....It really hasn't been cool out until yesterday....Today is still warm enough I was sweating with a hoodie....Had to take it off....I still have 3 weeks until I put stuff in the yard but I've been busy doing non Halloween work....We're going to a camp ground hayride haunt next weekend so I hope it's cool enough outside I can wear a jacket.....Seriously think it's about the weather....When the air is crisp, I can wear a hoodie and be comfortable while working, that's when it feels like Halloween to me....ZR

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You know I have noticed that too. Have folks just kind of hit a creative block? Are they conserving money and just re-using props? Have they ran out of space to store new builds? Has the weather been too warm? Is it a combo of the above or something else entirely?

It has just been an off year.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was more excited about Halloween in July than I am now that it's October....I think my problem is up until this past Wed it's been 90 degrees outside...
Same minus the heat. In June I was figuring out how I wanted to change things up this year and placed a couple online orders for new animatronics. Couldn't wait for them to get here. Now I have the walls up in my garage haunt but haven't been motivated to start decorating and setting up the props. Perhaps it's because we got 21 inches of snow last weekend. It has mostly melted but were supposed to get more on Tuesday. It's depressing because I always look forward to fall, with the colors and warm days and cool nights.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
I think the weather might be part of it but I know I'm now starting to panic a bit (OMG 24 days! :eek:) as to how much I still want to get done. I'm sure others are in the same boat. I have noticed activity kind of slacks off here until people have their yards set up, some earlier than others. I'm basically a Halloween day set up person so I will spend time on here when I can, although I probably shouldn't but I miss the camaraderie otherwise. Some projects I have to do aren't as conducive to doing in hot weather so I'll work on something inside but generally it's not really major stuff. Heck I'm still running to Home Depot, Joann's etc for a few things, partially budget determined too as I held off buying some things and probably stupidly adding things to my theme to make more work for me with the same amount of time left.

@TerriG Oh I feel for you. I was sure when that massive snow storm happened some members here had to have been affected by it. I'm worried about rain and cold (don't want to get sick either) but that was some pounding people got. And that's partially it. Weather has been all over the place this year and I think it's gotten to a lot of us.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Same minus the heat. In June I was figuring out how I wanted to change things up this year and placed a couple online orders for new animatronics. Couldn't wait for them to get here. Now I have the walls up in my garage haunt but haven't been motivated to start decorating and setting up the props. Perhaps it's because we got 21 inches of snow last weekend. It has mostly melted but were supposed to get more on Tuesday. It's depressing because I always look forward to fall, with the colors and warm days and cool nights.
21 inches?! Holy cow! I would agree that the weather may be playing a part. I don't think anyone had "normal" weather this summer and fall is turning out to be just as odd.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We wanted to start earlier this year but it was warm and we have been inundated with these biting gnats. It’s kinda hard to enjoy Halloween crafting when it’s hot and humid and you’re being bitten. Everything is done, minus lighting plans being completed. And I’m just not as excited as I should be. Like I’m happy with everything we did. I’m glad so many forum members helped me and added creativity when I hit a block. But still, there’s something. I really hope it passes. Thinking it might look better once I get all the props down and really start playing with all our Halloween goodies.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
By any chance are you my northern neighbor? Some parts of Montana received over 2 feet of snow last weekend. We woke up to a couple of inches of snow last weekend, we had more in the forecast for this past week, thankfully it didn't snow, but it did rain for 3 days. I think the mountains in my backyard got snow though. We have snow in the forecast again this week. I love snow, but it's way too early for it. We only got 2 months this year where it didn't snow and those months were miserably hot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
By any chance are you my northern neighbor? Some parts of Montana received over 2 feet of snow last weekend. We woke up to a couple of inches of snow last weekend, we had more in the forecast for this past week, thankfully it didn't snow, but it did rain for 3 days. I think the mountains in my backyard got snow though. We have snow in the forecast again this week. I love snow, but it's way too early for it. We only got 2 months this year where it didn't snow and those months were miserably hot.
I'm in southern Alberta approximately an hour from the Montana border. It is definitely way too early for it!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Or does it feel like not much is going on this year for Halloween? People who traditionally do tons of build videos on YouTube aren't posting anything. I'm just not seeing a lot of excitement outside of the very close-knit haunt community. It's kind of disheartening. Maybe it will improve the closer we get, but right now, I'm kind of depressed about it.
NOT JUST YOU!

I am in a funk due to weather and other issues that are making things hard this year.

I have also noticed fewer events and less Halloween hype in general this year. A lot of my friends have noticed it too. Like they post about it here and there and are wondering why their calendars haven't filled up yet for October.

For me and mine it's been a rough year overall, we are all TIRED for reasons personal and others I won't go into here but gesticulates wildly. The summer was brutal and just would not go away in TN. Then I got rear ended on the interstate during a week I was in the middle of putting stuff out and had to take 2 weeks off to recover from that. Really hard to be positive and excited at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's an off year for me. I was starting to prep during the summer, and then realized that I needed to spend the time on our ongoing DIY kitchen renovation, and that I'm traveling right after Halloween and wouldn't have time to put things away properly.

I came to the conclusion that I need to take the year off - I'm excited for next year, but it has left me feeling blah about this year.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Here in Florids it is 93 degrees. And at night the mosquitos are horrific. Wished it were cooler out.
That’s cause in the South we make the mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds! Weather today is 71 so it’s gorgeous. Too bad those biting gnats aren’t going away. Haters.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Considering how much I normally post and that this is the first time I've posted since last season, I'd say it's not just you! 😉
The inside of my house is very well decorated but I have absolutely no desire to set up the yard this year. I may do spider webs and lights this weekend or I may skip it entirely. I hate feeling this way but I'm not going to force it.
I agree, something is just off this year.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts