Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie with a question

Is it Blucky or Bucky and what is the difference if there is one between the two?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe a blucky is the plastic cheap in a bag blow mold skeleton and the bucky is a higher class real looking skeleton - I also believe their are many classes of bucky's. I warn you though, I'm wrong more than I'm right.

:eek:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Bucky is a 4th quality anatomical skeleton you can find for about $120. Blucky is a cheap blowmold skeleton you can find at Big Lots or Walmart for about $10-$15. Hope this helped.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
To chime in on the differences between the two...

The "blucky" is a blow-mold skeleton - the bones are hollow, made of thin plastic, and is a very lightweight prop.

The "Bucky" is made as an anatomical representation - the bones are made of resin, but are solid all the way through (and are consequently much, much heavier and more durable than the "blucky"), and made to be fairly anatomically correct in size and proportion (assuming the person is just about 5 1/2 feet tall).
This is also why they tend to cost so much more than a "blucky"

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
speaking of Bluckies...Has anyone bought the ones the Oriental Trading Company has? If so, did you like them?

Also, do you know of anyone ekse other than Big Lots that sells them?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I bought a few cases of them from Rhode Island Novelty/ two years ago. I think they were $10 or $12 then if purchasing just one. They were six in a case, $7.50 each blucky with free shipping if your order was over $50. The bluckies were about the same quality as the ones Party City had.
They've changed their account terms since then - you have to register as a wholesale customer (minimum required order is a case) to get the discount price. New retail customer price is $15 and the wholesale price is now $9.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
Feeling a wee bit blonde today but while looking at skulls (and in posts here) I see "4th quality" mentioned, not seen 1st, 2nd or 3rd - just 4th. So what does this mean?
Thanks!!!
Anatomical Chart Company does (did?) make 1st class Buckies. That was the start of the line of products-- an anatomically correct, life size skeleton model for medical students...not sure why there's no 2nd or 3rd.
OK, here's a question - anybody know why they started calling them "buckies" in the first place? I've always wondered...
My understanding is that the whole thing started when ACC produced a batch of skellies with buck teeth. Unable to sell them to madical students, they discounted the price and sold them off to haunters.

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
I've bought a 2nd class skull. He was pretty near perfect. I think they classify them by categories like off coloring, missing springs and hardware, missing teeth, etc.

BTW for the newbies it's easy to remember the difference between blucky and bucky--the one that has the BL is the one that is the BLOW mold and cheaper version.

·
Registered
346 Posts
In addition to the bucky and blucky, there is also the Barney, Cheap Charlie and Bart skeletons. I'm not experienced with all the differences aside from what appears on these pages, but I just educated myself on the distinction this very morning so the names are fresh in my mind:). If there are any other varieties that I've missed, please point them out!

Madame Leota, I have been wondering why they are called Buckies, too, especially since we use a first quality bucky in our forensic anthropology class (and of course I keep daydreaming about corpsing it, though I don't think the professor would appreciate that :D). Thanks Mr_Chicken for providing an answer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts