Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what is the state of Halloween in your area. It's like really dead over here, my whole street has 100 houses and I swear only 2 or 3 people decorate and maybe only half give out candy. I was also thinking that there is the fact that I am 22 years old now, and maybe I am just getting older and being like one of those older people who say "Halloween isn't like it use to be!" lol.

I always remembered lots of decorated houses, so many kids dressed up and people blasting Michael Jackson's Thriller in their driveway. I guess the only way to keep Halloween popular is to get out there and take part in Halloweenish activites and invite your friends. I'm so excited for Halloween, and this post isn't meant to bring anyone's spirit down! Just wanted to know the state of Halloween in your town.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It's popular here as far as having the Halloween parade at school, kids wanting to dress up and go pumpkin picking, etc., but not a huge amount of kids ToT. A lot of them seem to do the ToTing-in-town thing or go to their local churches, etc.

But we do get a good few around our block (I'm right on a BUSY corner which keeps kids from coming this far! Arghhh) and when I take my kids around, there are always other groups going house-to-house. I guess maybe 50% of the neighborhood has at least one decoration up. Very few do as much as I do but most decorators at least carve pumpkins. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm pretty pleased, actually. Most of the people around here in the city decorate. In the suburbs, where my parents live, everyone decorates. A couple of years ago it wasn't like that though! It's been growing here thankfully :D!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
I'm starting to see a lot of decorations, even if simple cut outs in windows, but outdoor lights and some neat displays going up as well. Our town has several haunts during the month, even two new ones this year, and judging by the number of buying customers at spirit last night, it looks like people are ging to be decorating and having parties.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what is the state of Halloween in your area. It's like really dead over here, my whole street has 100 houses and I swear only 2 or 3 people decorate and maybe only half give out candy. I was also thinking that there is the fact that I am 22 years old now, and maybe I am just getting older and being like one of those older people who say "Halloween isn't like it use to be!" lol.

I always remembered lots of decorated houses, so many kids dressed up and people blasting Michael Jackson's Thriller in their driveway. I guess the only way to keep Halloween popular is to get out there and take part in Halloweenish activites and invite your friends. I'm so excited for Halloween, and this post isn't meant to bring anyone's spirit down! Just wanted to know the state of Halloween in your town.

Thanks for reading!
Halloween is alive and well in my neighborhood. There are tons of houses decorated already. I think I've added to the excitement by mailing invites on Friday. All the kids on our cul-de-sak were invited and all came down today to tell me what costumes they will be wearing. Too fun!!

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
The local elementary school had their Halloween Carnival Friday night...

Now, I thought it was insanely early to have a HW carnival, but the fact a public school had one and called it a HALLOWEEN Carnival is pretty sweet.

Now, my wife's school...well, all they can do is pumpkins and such.

Halloween is huge in this neighborhood, tons of kids and the parents block off the street for the big night. All the kids gather at the first house on the street and some dads put on a skit about trick or treating safety, etc... and then it is kicked off. Moms and Dads alternate years walking with the kids and blocking the street.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We only have a few other houses on our street that decorate, but we good a good number of TOTs ad everyone seems to enjoy our display.

I read a few years ago that Halloween was shrinking, until the couples in their late 20's and early 30's started it's resurgence. It was almost as if Halloween skipped a generation.

One thing I think a lot of people have noticed...is that Halloween is highly contagious. The more houses that people see decorated, the more people are inspired to deck out their own place.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
I agree with this! I notice that a lot of time either streets have no decorations or multiple houses that have decor.
One thing I think a lot of people have noticed...is that Halloween is highly contagious. The more houses that people see decorated, the more people are inspired to deck out their own place.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
ToT'ing is still hugely popular - we always get 300-400 kids at our house, and this is a small town, population around 15,000, so I think that is pretty good. On the other hand, decorating is not such a big deal. A few houses go crazy with the inflatables, a few do the pumpkin and scarecrow thing, and then there's me! I really wish more people would get into it...

·
Witch Of The West Coast
1,751 Posts
It seems to get less and less popular here every year. :( 12 years ago we would have people bring their totters by the car loads! Now we are lucky to get 25 little ones. I live on a cauldesac and there are only two houses on my street that decorate..

·
Shadow box dancer
1,444 Posts
We have an interesting situation in our town. People are interested in it, but go where it is the most densely populated so they can get to trick or treat at as many houses as possible. When we were doing our yard haunt we got over 200 TOT's, but for the 5 years we stopped we only got about 30 a year. Then last year when we did our yard haunt again we got close to 200 TOT's again. And now there are 5 or 6 houses on the street that decorate. So sometimes it just takes one person.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My town is usually pretty good about it, at least the neighborhoods on this side of the freeway. Today I've seen Halloween decals on fast food restaurant windows, and more houses -- in this neighborhood and elsewhere -- with decorations, or at least porch pumpkins. Dunno if they're doing it this time, but the 7-11 used to create their Giant Spinning Orb into a large jackolantern face. In any event I think it's shaping up to be a fairly good season here.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I think two things directly affect trick or treating - neighborhood income and sidewalks.

If a neighborhood is mostly rentals and low-income housing, kids don't tend to wander as much. There is still some trick or treat, but it's limited, and a number of families simply won't take their kids out in their own neighborhood.

Sidewalks also have a big impact. If kids have to walk down the side of the street or through the edge of people's yards, they tend to avoid the area altogether.
I have no sidewalks, and there are a number of rental properties in my area. The TOTers I get tend to leap from parents cars, run and ring the bell, get their goodies and dive back in the car. You can watch these family vehicles cruise through the neighborhood, looking for weird lights, open doors and Jack O' Lanterns.

We do what we can to be one of the stops on the route.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There aren't that many people that decorate on my street. I would say maybe 6 houses do decorate with something. I don't decorate the outside in the front because of the kids, teens, and anyone else who might take something. Those people ruin holidays. Last year, some stupid kid was punching my bags that I put newspapers in (Count Dracula I think). Now, they are in the backyard.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Our neighborhood is aging, and the number of ToT age kids is dropping. Plus we have large, long front yards on our side of the street, and that can discourage some kids.
On the other hand I was pleased to find myself behind the curve on outdoor and window decorations, so I happily got to work this week-end!
Overall Halloween is popular in the area. There is a nice kids' Halloween parade a town away from us that gets good attendance. Some groups try to dilute the Halloween spirit with "Harvest Festivals", but overall I'd say its pretty strong...

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think it really depends on the area you live in..for example if you live in an area with a lot of homes there is more visible Halloween spirit (due to the fact with so many houses in the area you are more likely to get the people who decorate and or set up haunts)..and the areas such as yours which have anywhere from 20 to 100 homes you just don't get that feel..

Now Halloween was A LOT more visible in the mid to late 80's and into the mid 90's no doubting that..on the flip side..I think as we get older we have more expectations but when we were younger we remeber the "small" things people did to scare us or get us into that Halloween mood (props etc) and those memories are fresh in most people's minds..yes you can definately see a drop off over the years in homes being decorated..in Canada that is visible..however Halloween is coming around again and in the larger cities people like to go all out..so far in my area out of I would say 100 some odd houses I have only seen 20 (including mine of course lol) homes starting to decorate..hopefully people will get into the Halloween spirit once they see what others and I have put out..

But this topic can be spoken about from all different angles and areas from around the globe..some will tell you Halloween in their area is bigger than ever..and I believe most (as times have really changed since most of us were kids, it seems the innocence is lost in modern day) will say that Halloween had dropped off but seems to be picking right back up in regards to how we remember it..

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
We almost need to start a test where certain streets start decorating in groups. I would bet that more people would start decorating.

I think that this is true for Christmas decorating too. On my street, there was about 3 years where NOBODY on my street decorated. Last year I decorated very early, and around 4 other houses decorated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
In my little subdivision there is a house across the street who puts their decorations up the last week of September. I started doing my inside windows that week, then started on the outside around the 29th. There is one other house that has a lot of stuff out down the street, but I think the weather (rain this weekend and this week) hindered anyone else. I've got all my static props out and will put out the battery operated stuff on the 31st. Our newsletter announced they would have a contest this year, so I am guessing this weekend when the weather clears, we'll see some decorating.

With Halloween being on a Sat, I expect a fair amount of TOTs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts