Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as if Halloween is dying here in the Bay Area in CA. No one is even selling pumpkins out here for gods sake! How are things in the rest of the country? Where is all the spirit at?

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
It's California what did you expect? LOL! Maybe Pumpkins along with Halloween are not politically correct where you live? You need to lobby and put a proposition on your ballot! Just kidding!!! Fear not fight the system and start a new trend! I promise you that if you start your own haunt you'll be the hit of your neighborhood because as much as things may change they stay the same. Halloween will never die!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
I'm here in SSF & there are plenty of pumpkins at the grocery stores,parking lot type, & of course our Half Moon Bay pumpkin fest !!
So were are you ?? Must be your local area........ sorry to hear,but there seems to be enough bay Area haunters here on this forum
(nice to see), that there will no dying of Halloween around these parts.. !! LOL unless its dead corpses in our haunt..... :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I hope not! This year it seems like there's more spirit than usual in my area. Maybe it's because it's the first year I've decorated so I've been paying more attention.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,856 Posts
Not on the Texas Gulf coast either... I've counted at least a dozen houses in my neighborhood alone that have done more decoration than the typical JoL. That's lots more than the last couple of years.

More halloween stores popped up this year too.

And I just got back from a pumpkin farm that was PACKED with people.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i dont think halloween is dying but in my little corner of Canada we have less and less TOTers each year ... the house we operate out of draws the most on the street ... but it seems lots of people would rather keep the kids indoors ... a ton of my neighbors have some kind of halloween thing going on (pumpkins to lights) ... so hopefully this year will be a very busy one for the TOTers considering it falls on a Friday ...

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
well, I just got back from Halloween USA, and the parking lot was full, couldn't hardly find a parking spot, so it appears that it is alive around here, some areas here have alot of TOTers, and some not so many, depending on the neighborhood, I don't get many, I am hoping that it being on a Friday brings out more to my area

·
Banned
6 Posts
It is dying here in Florida. People are acting like zombies and doing nothing. Halloween is becoming a thing of the past. They try to scare people away with rapists, west nile virus, and stupid ****. You can try to get things out there and parade in the street, but it would be like running through a ghost town.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've noticed Halloween is less fun as it was back in the 80's, here at least. Less houses decorated and haunts are almost non-existant. People seem to be gravitating toward the "trick or trunk" It's sad :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Halloween is doing great here in Sacramento, Ca. We had many new halloween stores open for the month of September and October. Most stores sell halloween items and the costume areas are always busy. Only thing that put a dent in this years halloween was the rainy weather.

·
Registered
776 Posts
We were down this year but simply because the neighborhood is in transition. Younger kids growing up and new kids starting. Plus the teens got the hint no costume no candy they just keep walking

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It may seem like it for some retail stores but, that's the economy this year.
Here in MN, it's alive & well! I looked at a online map of all the haunts & Halloween events in the Twin Cities metro area, & it's huge!!!! Think it would be hard to visit each & every one in the short time that they are open.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I hate to bring up an old post. I am also in northern california. But I was thinking back to when I was an early teen and a child. I remember more houses used to decorate for Halloween! What happened? Its sort of strange how one could say "well people don't decorate because the kids are grown up now." But I know alot of adults have parities, Halloween is the 2nd holiday behind Xmas in sales. So money is being spent on Halloween. People in my town decorate like mad around Christmas.

But what I am saying is starting to ring true. Over the previous years, its the same little kids that get older each year. I think last year I got about 20 trick or treators with hours and hours of work on the yard haunt. Its rather disappointing in the sense of when I ask myself, "who am I doing this for?" I am doing it for myself, but I would also like Halloween to be a bigger deal in the community. I think the only way to really make that happen is to live near elementry schools or start some sort of local thing. But moving is out of the picture at the moment as my parents are not moving anywhere. The only other thing I could think of is to pass out flyers around the neighborhoods to promote my yard haunt. This isn't a dangerous area or anything, in fact there is a "christmas house," in this area that gets THOUSANDS of visitors each year. He decorates like crazy and the street is often backed up with cars and people in that neighborhood. I want this same thing only for Halloween, I have no idea how he got so many people. Flyers, word of mouth ...I think he was on the news once.

I just remember being a freshman in high school, and the streets were lined with kids, teens and decorations! So I guess all the kids grew up in my neighborhood and all the little kids just go around the elementry school areas..there is only two elementry schools here.

I just have to do something this year to get more people to come see my little haunt. The last several years have been really disappointing with the amount of people that see it. I just feel like at this point in my life, I should probably start going to Halloween events like Haunt Con or something. Someone also once told me I should live in Salem MA, because its Halloween central there. However I have read that its nuts in October there. You cant even drive around because there is so many people there in October.

Anyway, the main point is that I understand for those of you who get limited trick or treators. Hopefully this year I can do something about it. I was thinking of doing the flyers in late September or very early October. I was thinking of not putting my address, but putting directions on how to get to the street and there is no way people could miss the house. I don't think there would be any vandalism, but if there was ..we have a security camera that would catch it.

In response to Midnight, the economy was starting to get bad but I had more TOTs last year than the year before.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes...! Yes..., Halloween is DYING... Slowly..., painfullly..., its weak, pathetic, keening moans unheard, or unheeded... Dying..., in silence, and misery..., alone and without the hope of aid... Dying in a lonely place, where the quiet hurts your ears, and the only company it has are the foul things of the dank soil, near, and getting nearer... Dying... Dying... Dying........ Heh-heh...

But NOT DEAD...! AhHa...! Never dead, Dear Fiends!

Oh no, Halloween is much older than the Rotten Pumpkins in our neighborhoods who lurk with shameful cowardice behind their curtains with their lights out, when the busy, breathless little ToTers come... Halloween sings in chorus as the leaves fall, and lives, lives! every late Autumn eve, when some Merry Soul cuts the eyes from a sheet and billows a pillowcase to seize all the candy swag they can in the falling night... And Halloween lives again in the Hearts Of Those who remember doing so when they were young, and so set the light dancing in a freshly-carved pumpkin...

Halloween lives! everywhere that jolly whimsy and good-natured prankishness flourish in the eerie lights of homemade decorations on the Last Night of October... Where the pounding beat of sneakers-on-pavement, and laughter in the dark, and rayon capes in the moonlight, and the swampy closeness of a terrifying latex mask, yet thrive... Halloween lives where the Autumn wreaths are wrought with quiet contentment..., and the Sleepy-Hollow-scent of toasted gourd escapes into the evening breeze...

Halloween is much more than curmudgeonly neighbors, who've lost their way in the dark of their lives, can ever squelch. And, so long as any of us carve a jack-o-lantern, Halloween will always live.

So let us put up our decor, and laugh, and perhaps in doing so, persistently, we'll win the stick-in-the-muds over in the long run, be we homeowners or apartment dwellers...; whether we simply tape a witch's paper silhouette to the window, or turn our homes into full-on, certifiable Haunted Mansions... And although Frankenstein's Monster may not be too happy to hear it this -- it all depends on how many of us carry the torch! (and the pitchforks, heh-heh...)

So shine on into that fading Autumn light, Brothers and Sisters! Whether you're amongst a bonfire, or sole embers rising swiftly into the moonlight..., shine on! And you will always be a part of the Halloween Spirit.

(And as to those who just don't get it..., well, pity them for the mirth they're missing out on. They'll get it in the end, and that's for sure... And think it too bad they didn't know how to laugh on their way out... Heh-heh...)

Halloween is dead. LONG LIVE HALLOWEEN...!

Most Sanguine Cheers!
SOT

1 - 20 of 27 Posts