Halloween Forum banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
Sounds like we're all sorta in the same boat.:confused:

I'm just thankful I've got a big yard & plenty of gardening type stuff to do (when it's not raining). I also have a crap ton of cleaning & purging to do.

The only problem now is that all the thrift stores in MD are shut down so I'll have boxes of stuff to go outta here again & they'll have to be put somewhere outta sight for a while.

·
Registered
902 Posts
!!Rant!!

Here’s a situation that just happened.
My daughter & I were talking to another mom when we saw our neighbor’s son crash on his bike. I yelled to my daughter to check on him but not to touch the boy while I ran to get his parents. Another neighbor (man) came over to help. When we had the kid & parents reunited the man pointed his finger in my face & screamed me “to never tell him not to touch a child when they are hurt”.
I’m so f’ing angry right now! That man could give us Covid 19 or vice versa

·
Registered
902 Posts
!!Rant!!

Here’s a situation that just happened.
My daughter & I were talking to another mom when we saw our neighbor’s son crash on his bike. I yelled to my daughter to check on him but not to touch the boy while I ran to get his parents. Another neighbor (man) came over to help. When we had the kid & parents reunited the man pointed his finger in my face & screamed me “to never tell him not to touch a child when they are hurt”.
I’m so f’ing angry right now! That man could give us Covid 19 or vice versa

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
OK, here's a question for those of you that need to hit the grocery store or some place like CVS or Walgreens:

We all know & have seen empty paper goods & water aisles, but what are people avoiding? What's that lone thing left on the shelf looking sad & lonely.

Are the only frozen pizzas left the cauliflower crust with pineapple & ham? Is the only tuna left the oil packed kind? Has your store had a run on leeks & beets or are there plenty of them for me to buy? Is there only Fanta Orange left in the soda aisle?

Enquiring minds wanna know but please, don't make a special trip to find out. But if you're out for a REAL need let us know. If there's a pic even better, but please don't put yourself in harms way to do this.

·
Registered
246 Posts
OK, here's a question for those of you that need to hit the grocery store or some place like CVS or Walgreens:

We all know & have seen empty paper goods & water aisles, but what are people avoiding? What's that lone thing left on the shelf looking sad & lonely.

Are the only frozen pizzas left the cauliflower crust with pineapple & ham? Is the only tuna left the oil packed kind? Has your store had a run on leeks & beets or are there plenty of them for me to buy? Is there only Fanta Orange left in the soda aisle?

Enquiring minds wanna know but please, don't make a special trip to find out. But if you're out for a REAL need let us know. If there's a pic even better, but please don't put yourself in harms way to do this.
Been a bit since I went out but ...
Fresh produce was unwanted. Frozen veggies and fruits were gone but apples, carrots, potatoes (all last for weeks) were not selling. Same for bell peppers. I get it for the avocados ... but not some of this stuff that holds on in the fridge for a long time. Sure, skip the bagged salads but you can make a nice waldorf salad pretty easily.

TP, paper towels, and tissues were gone but nice paper dinner napkins were easy to find. I mean, push comes to shove it's better than leaves.

Eggs and milk were plentiful, but sour cream was not avaiable (maybe that's why the potatoes weren't selling?)
Butter and cheese were available, but bread flour is not. That is super annoying, even King Athur's website is out of it! How am I supposed to make a mother fluffing grilled cheese if I can't make bread?

That is sort of the trend, you find 2/3 of what you need to make the things you want to eat. It feels a little random about what is low in inventory. Good luck if you go out there!

·
Registered
449 Posts

My store has tons of fresh produce and cheese. Fortunately, no one is buying bison or ribeyes, so I got several lbs of both last week. Chicken too. No one seems to be buying beer either, so that's been really easy to come by. The meat guy hooked me up with 4 lbs of bacon he had in the freezer, so we're set for food. We have an RO system as well, so water's not an issue.

No normal eggs here. I ended up buying organic eggs last week, because that was all they had, at $6 a dozen. There's no pork or ground beef to be found around here either, which is strange, because we're surrounded by ranches. Pasta is impossible to find as well. I can't find Newman's Own frozen margherita pizza anywhere, and that's pretty much all I eat. There's still plenty of other cheaper frozen pizza left though.

1,250 Posts
Haven't been in the store in about a week... so I'm not a great judge. When I was last there it was - TP and paper towels Nope. Rice, ramen soup, most canned broth (lots of veggie broth however) and canned Tomatoes Nope. One store had eggs limited to 1 doz per customer. ( thank goodness the girls are laying like crazy lol) Another had a limit of 1 dairy per customer. Yes a lot of fresh veggies and fruits, most cuts of meat and processed meat. Cheese seemed to be plentiful. No sugar and some places had a bit of flour yet. There was bread and crackers. Powered milk Nope. Forget most cold meds, hand sanitizers and such.

I think it all depends on the area you live in. I'm sure city dwellers are going to have fewer in stock stuff as more population to try to satisfy. I'm lucky I'm more rural BUT the city isn't very far so we have 2 groceries 5 miles from the house and less than 20 miles away there are 4 to the north, 3 to the west and 5 to the SW. Not to mention dollar stores, 7/11 and drug stores.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
Our local 7-11 is fully stocked.

I had to go to CVS to get a prescription & they had 3 packs of a 4 pack of Seventh Generation toilet paper. I bought one because they were limiting it to just one per customer. I wouldn't have bought all 3 any way.

There was plenty of Easter stuff & plenty of leftover snow shovels. Yep, I said snow shovels. :D That's only funny if you know that we didn't even have an inch of snow to shovel this year.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not sure how it is now, I went to BJ's Wholesale club (It's like Sam's Club, or Costco) two weeks ago. The produce section was fully stocked, yet frozen and canned vegetables were gone. The supermarkets have been the same. I guess people don't realize that if they freeze vegetables they magically become frozen vegetables. They were also completely cleaned out of fresh chicken. However they had one section of the chicken area that had over two dozen double packs of Cornish Game Hens.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Update: The stores around here look much better this week. There was plenty of meat and eggs, they just have limits to one pack per person. I even found pasta today. And Walgreens had toilet paper.

·
Registered
456 Posts
21 days. Go back, read the beginning of this thread, then read the posts now. 21 days. My how the overall tone of this thread has changed.
I'm not sure my tone has changed, but I am surprised at just how stupid, and gullible, the vast unwashed masses that make up the general public actually are. Fortunately now that advertisers are starting to run ads that start out with somber messages like "In these uncertain times", or "A lot has changed overnight", and basically end up with a standard "buy our stuff" sales pitch, I think we can safely assume that the Corona Virus has now officially jumped the shark.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
I keep getting emails from Michaels about their custom framing deals. I know you can send them an image & they can do certain things, but you certainly can't take them something to get framed in-store. At least not here in MD. It just seems like screwed up priorities if you feel the need to have something professionally framed at this point in time.

I also keep getting emails about buying new Subaru. My 2017 Outback is apparently already a worn out, used piece of crap now. They started sending those Day 1 of my second year of ownership but they've really ramped up lately.

The only emails I wanna get from Subaru is that I can skip payments for the next 3 months. Thankfully my husband is still working but it would be nice to skip a few payments anyway.

[BEGIN RANT]
Especially since we just had to hand a plumber $5,000 to put in a brand new public water hookup which isn't really hooked up yet because our water people, Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, screwed up our street name on all the permitting papers. They have to re-issue the permits & crap, then WSSC has to come out & install the water meter at the street hookup, then the plumber can come out & finish the inside work which should only take him 2 hours. But wait....we're not done yet!! THEN WSSC has to come back & inspect inside AGAIN, then & only then can the plumber actually turn the water on.:mad: We have water but if we don't change a water filter every week or so we only have mud. I've ordered 2 more filters because I've got laundry to do & that's the thing that really fills up the filter. Our well is screwed & the cost to either check it completely (pull the pump up, send a camera down, put in a new liner if that's possible) &/or have a new well dug (if that's even possible right now, it might not perc) would cost even more than the water line. So now we're waiting on WSSC.
[/END RANT]

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts

It's really weird.

I have a Fresh Market and a Neighborhood WalMart near me.

Fresh market, for get about finding any cuts of meat, flour, etc. But the freezer section is completely stocked with frozen pizza, Ice cream and TV dinners.

Walmart, forget about finding any frozen Pizza, ice cream, or TV dinners, but the rest the store is mostly normal.

guess it shows who is shopping where.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
And what they're shopping for. I have to go to CVS for a prescription tomorrow & have to go to the grocery store for fresh fruit, veggies, & a few other necessities. Thankfully, so far, the things I tend to buy aren't in huge demand low sodium tuna (I had no idea there was so much sodium in tuna!!), more leeks, beets, etc.

I wonder if we'll get to the rationing stage?

We just got the "stay at home" order from Governor Hogan which means no hitting up the garden center for flowers, veggies, etc., no going out to Target to shop for new clothes, etc. (I wasn't shopping for clothes anyway but I know some that have done that).

The order, which goes into effect at 8 p.m. Monday, prohibits residents from leaving home except for trips considered essential, such as venturing out for food and medicine. People who violate the directive may be subject to one year in jail, a $5,000 fine or both.
MD is also now arresting people if they don't comply with Hogan's "gatherings of less than 10 people" order. So they just arrested this braintrust that had a bonfire party at his house, THE SECOND ONE, with 60 people in attendance. He's also a registered sex offender which just makes it seem a lot worse for some reason.

Glad I've more than enough seeds right now & I bought some brussels sprout plants when we bought the mulch last week. Hoping to get outside today to just that, put down mulch.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Getting outside in the fresh air is hugely helpful. I spent all day Saturday swapping the greenhouse from "safe hibernation space for potted figs" to "seedling funhouse". I didn't rush, just worked thru the tasks and enjoyed being NOT in the house.

Then Sunday I finally had success with molding a hand (in between playing nursemaid to the BF who came down with a fever ...). Fingers crossed I am an asymptomatic carrier because I do not want the chills/sweats he went thru.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just told my mum off on the phone because she told me her and dad went to the Asda supermarket yesterday - DESPITE being told that I'd get whatever they needed if they asked.

Parents eh?

121 - 140 of 143 Posts