Halloween Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hospitals may be overflowing with sick patients now but give it about nine months and they will be overflowing with new births. Yes i'm predicting a new "baby boom". Millions of people at home, shut in with nothing to do. See things have a way of working out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
LA County is on a mandatory shutdown. The only things legally open are: medical facilities, grocery stores/markets, banks, vets & auto shops. No malls/retail, etc. or anything extraneous. Nada.

1,250 Posts
So far Washington state has been steering clear of the shelter in place order. Like other places most things are shut down and heck we're having an unseasonable sun shiney week. Normally it's gray, gloomy and rainy. Alas it makes me dread the summer we're on a well and no rain means the aquifer doesn't get refreshed like it should.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've decided that, worst case scenario - they call off Halloween trick-'r-treating - I still intend on going on with the yard haunt. Granted, maybe not with the fervor I would if I could expect the usual amount of ToTs, but in honor of my favorite holiday. 🦇

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
[COMPLETE THREAD HIJACK]
I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure my thoughts killed Kenny Rogers.

I was sitting watching the "Too Cute!" marathon on Animal Planet & my brain went to "We haven't had a celeb death in a while so we're due & that might be a good distraction."

NOW KENNY'S DEAD & IT'S PROBABLY MY FAULT!!!:cry:

But seriously folks, that thought really went through my brain yesterday. I knew Kenny wasn't looking well the last time I saw him and I knew he was no spring chicken but I had no idea he was so sick.

Always loved him, his voice, his early stuff was not even country. My father always coveted his hair & beard. Without Kenny & The First Edition we wouldn't have this iconic scene from "The Big Lebowski":

Here's Kenny & The First Edition performing it live on TV (CHECK OUT THE EARRING!!):

Ruby: Don't Take Your Love to Town:

Kenny's last performance with Dolly:

Just go to Youtube & search "Kenny Rogers & The First Edition" to see some pre-country, hippie Kenny.

[END THREAD HIJACK]

·
Registered
449 Posts
[COMPLETE THREAD HIJACK]
I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure my thoughts killed Kenny Rogers.

I was sitting watching the "Too Cute!" marathon on Animal Planet & my brain went to "We haven't had a celeb death in a while so we're due & that might be a good distraction."

NOW KENNY'S DEAD & IT'S PROBABLY MY FAULT!!!:cry:

But seriously folks, that thought really went through my brain yesterday. I knew Kenny wasn't looking well the last time I saw him and I knew he was no spring chicken but I had no idea he was so sick.

Always loved him, his voice, his early stuff was not even country. My father always coveted his hair & beard. Without Kenny & The First Edition we wouldn't have this iconic scene from "The Big Lebowski":

Here's Kenny & The First Edition performing it live on TV (CHECK OUT THE EARRING!!):

Ruby: Don't Take Your Love to Town:

Kenny's last performance with Dolly:

Just go to Youtube & search "Kenny Rogers & The First Edition" to see some pre-country, hippie Kenny.

[END THREAD HIJACK]

I loved him too. He always seemed like a really decent, respectable guy. Most people might not remember his chicken joint back in the 90's, but I lived off his rotisserie chicken and awesome mashed potatoes and gravy, for a while after high school.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I LOVED Kenny Roger's Chicken!!! Also, his Gambler 8-track (and Olivia Newton John's) were the only ones we kids could ever stand listening to of my parents' music. RIP, Kenny.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Coronavirus or not my yard haunt will be up! Though I already know what the main costume will be. Hopefully some cute Harley Quins will show up

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,128 Posts
I’m extremely private and rarely comment on social or political events however I do believe this warrants a response. Bobby2003 is correct with the Influenza ratios presented. You can verify for yourself on the CDC website which has tracked influenza and other infectious diseases for decades. The media is “hyping” everyone into a frenzy about the coronavirus (Covid-19). The facts are that each year influenza kills more people than all other infectious diseases combined. Yet the media doesn’t seem to cover it? I have lived thru multiple City Destroying hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, Swine / Spanish Flu 2009 (H1N1), Ebola 2014, and now coronavirus (Covid-19). All prior infectious disease events lasted 4-6 months and eventually “burned out” by early summer. This will eventually pass as well. By late summer the coronavirus will be a distant memory and all anyone will be talking about is the presidential election. Keep your Halloween party dates and yes people will show up for trick-r-treats; who doesn’t like free candy. The only concerns would be if you planned on doing a “pandemic” or similar theme for this year you may want to reconsider.

Thank you....plans will remain the same. But the media didn't hype it up as much back then IMO.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,128 Posts
Perhaps the run on toilet paper is just evidence that you're not alone deciding to stay out of crowds and work on your haunt at home. There are a number of very popular paper mache recipes that use toilet paper as the primary ingredient. Maybe you just have thousands of folk out there corpsing their pumpkins, making witches, and who knows what else for their haunt. We're going to err on the side that the toilet paper left the shelves in the hopes of a better Halloween later this year. :)
Maybe a Mr Whipple costume would be appropriate this year lol. If you don't know who he is, google him :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you are looking for costume ideas ....

I wonder if retailers will pull back on orders for Halloween decorations (out of uncertainty that it will be celebrated)? I hope not, it has felt like there has been less selection in the past years but that might be me getting picky as I get older and need fewer things.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
I'd guess this is Halloween & Christmas ordering time so that's a possibility. Anyone here in retail that could let us in on when certain seasonal stuff gets ordered?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I suspect the media frenzy and fear mongering will abate right after the election if they achieve their underlying goal 😉
Well, the election's after Halloween, so if they're going to keep it up that long, Halloween (as we know it) could take a hit this year. It's too early in 2020 to say what's going to happen months down the road, I suppose. Hell, I don't know.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I suspect the media frenzy and fear mongering will abate right after the election if they achieve their underlying goal 😉
Without getting too political ... we can learn from how other countries handled this. China, S Korea, Malaysia, Phillipines, even Italy offer up some lessons learned. They don't have elections coming up this Fall, but they managed to start controlling the spread and reduce the death toll. Japan has done some good work testing different medications for off label use (I read that an arthritis drug is showing promise, of all things).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The UK Prime Minister announced a lock down last night. Only essential trips out (food, medical reasons, one session of daily exercise). We will have to think of the logistics now as the MIL is 85 and has dementia so we care for her, and my parents are both 75 and my mum is a potential high risk individual. Tried all the supermarkets for a delivery slot - nothing until the middle of April!

Luckily we have stuff in but if we have to share it between three household don't know how long it will last.

This is a good time to go on a diet 🍽

·
Registered
28 Posts
Currently in Germany(Stuck in germany is more like it). Numbers keep going up here but deaths are very minimal. Can't say the same for Italy, Spain and France. Honestly I think the US has not scratched the surface yet when it comes to the peak, you'll probably need another few weeks until its manageable but worst case scenario i think this will be gone around july well before halloween. Only downside is that it may deter people from going out.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts