Halloween Forum banner

81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I shouldn't even post this and I don't want to come across as rude but some of this is completely wrong and shows a level of ignorance of the facts, and how the immune system works. Corona viruses are not new. They were first identified in the 1960s. This is simply a new strain of an old virus albeit a more severe one.

See: Coronavirus | Human Coronavirus Types | CDC

If people's immune systems were not able to fight off the virus everyone who has gets it would die. They don't and that is because their immune systems are able to fight off the virus. The people in danger for this virus are people with compromised immune systems, heart disease, diabetes, ect and the elderly, just as with the flu.

Here is a good FAQ on the Corona Virus from Harvard medical School.

I realize corona viruses have been around infecting us poor old humans but not this strain. Of cause people's immune systems will do their thing same as it did back in the days of smallpox, polio etc. Like I said it will be about the numbers.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
I know no one wants to think about this but you can use other things instead of toilet paper that aren't paper products. It's called a washcloth. Zero wasters use them, they're sold on Etsy.

Yes, you'll need to have a container to keep it, wash it out with every use with some bleach, but it's possible to never use toilet paper ever again if you so choose. It's a variation on the cloth diaper.Which is another industry that could benefit from this virus, the cloth diaper industry could & should see an upswing if disposables aren't readily available.

Really, we should all just invest in bidets instead. We've wanted one for a while now, they just seem so much more cleaner so pass it on, just get a bidet. Yes, you'll still need to dry yourself but you won't need to wipe or clean up with paper.

Honestly, I'm hoping I never have to use a washcloth but I will if I have to & we are seriously looking into the bidet thing no matter what happens.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know no one wants to think about this but you can use other things instead of toilet paper that aren't paper products. It's called a washcloth. Zero wasters use them, they're sold on Etsy.

Yes, you'll need to have a container to keep it, wash it out with every use with some bleach, but it's possible to never use toilet paper ever again if you so choose. It's a variation on the cloth diaper.Which is another industry that could benefit from this virus, the cloth diaper industry could & should see an upswing if disposables aren't readily available.

Really, we should all just invest in bidets instead. We've wanted one for a while now, they just seem so much more cleaner so pass it on, just get a bidet. Yes, you'll still need to dry yourself but you won't need to wipe or clean up with paper.

Honestly, I'm hoping I never have to use a washcloth but I will if I have to & we are seriously looking into the bidet thing no matter what happens.
You just answered a question I have had for a long time. It was, "How do you know when you are done with a bidet? If there is no paper to see ... do you just trust that 13 seconds was enough?"

It never occurred to me that you wipe to dry yourself, duh!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Guy at work told me a story today about a couple of his buddies doing an away construction job....The hotel they were staying at had a bidet in their bathroom....One guy came out after using it and said the bathroom was nice....It even had a drinking fountain....Other guy couldn't wait to tell him what it really was after he realized what he did....LOL....ZR

·
Registered
413 Posts
It sounds like things might be fine by Halloween. But if things do drag on, it might be too fresh on everyone's minds to be featuring hazmat suits and viral outbreak signage in your 2020 haunt.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
I feel like I'm alone in feeling OK with being in my house for a long time. Not supply wise, just overall being cool with not leaving the house to do a job.

As I've stated elsewhere here I finally lost my job in January & I've never been so happy to lose a job in my life if you want the full reason just PM me, but trust me, I'm very happy) because my dream job involves NOT leaving the house to do a job. I've got more than enough things to keep me busy.

I should also say that I don't have kids just 2 cats & a husband & we have a single family home with plenty of yard so I'm not stuck on top or below someone in a condo/apt./townhouse. We've got room to move around.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I feel like I'm alone in feeling OK with being in my house for a long time. Not supply wise, just overall being cool with not leaving the house to do a job.

As I've stated elsewhere here I finally lost my job in January & I've never been so happy to lose a job in my life if you want the full reason just PM me, but trust me, I'm very happy) because my dream job involves NOT leaving the house to do a job. I've got more than enough things to keep me busy.

I should also say that I don't have kids just 2 cats & a husband & we have a single family home with plenty of yard so I'm not stuck on top or below someone in a condo/apt./townhouse. We've got room to move around.
Nope. I am TOTALLY with you on being OK being stuck at home. I am 100% an extroverted introvert so hunkering down at home is totally my speed. I will be happy when the weather improves a bit so we can, at least, hang out outside for a bit. It's been rainy and cold for days on end. I am in So Cal so this is very unique for us for it to be like this for so long. My work is transitioning to an open work environment in the next couple of years and I am DREADING it. Right now I have a nice, private and spacious office. I don't know what I am going to do when we change over. I know I will feel overwhelmed and exhausted at the end of every day from people overload.

·
Registered
205 Posts

As I've stated elsewhere here I finally lost my job in January & I've never been so happy to lose a job in my life ...
SAME HERE! I resigned from my job in December of 2018 and couldn't be happier! I live in the sticks and only leave the house for necessities, the occasional dinner out, or for a few and far between event. No kids, 1 husband, 7 dogs, 1 horse, 1 donkey, and a garden. I'm as happy as I can be.

I'm all set for the long haul, it won't bother me a bit! I'm not a hoarder or a prepper, but I've always made sure I have at least 6 months of meals, supplies, and a spare bank account that will always cover 6 months of bills.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My work is transitioning to an open work environment in the next couple of years and I am DREADING it. Right now I have a nice, private and spacious office. I don't know what I am going to do when we change over. I know I will feel overwhelmed and exhausted at the end of every day from people overload.
I am in the same boat, we are moving to super short walled cubes for everyone with less than 15 reports. Trouble is, some of us individual contributors might need to pore through an 80+ page schematic to figure something out. Do you know how hard it is to focus on following VDD_REF_MXR_5P5_LDO1_2 vs VDD_RF_MXR_5P5_LDO1_2 when coworkers are laughing and talking about stupid political crap 5' from you?

Fortunately I will have the option of working from home. One coworker specializes in talking on the phone SO loudly that you'd swear the phone doesn't even exist, she is trying to project her voice to the next town via lung power alone. Even with high walled cubes it is inescapable.

But, on the bright side, I do get a lot of inspiration for zombies and corpses this way. I just start thinking about, "what injuries would you see if someone was bludgeoned to death with a phone handset vs a phone base?" Or ... "all we have for knives at work are butter knives, but where would someone stab someone with a butter knife for maximum effect?"

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you ever had déjà vu where you think about a movie or TV show you haven’t seen in a while and then poof there it is. I experienced this occurrence about two months ago before the world went to hell. The movie was Mimic (1997). It’s about a plague (pandemic) where mass amounts of children in New City were dying from a mysterious respiratory illness, sound familiar. After watching the movie I had a very ominous feeling come over me; you know the one where the hair on the back of your neck stands up as a cold chill runs down your spine. I should have listened to my intuition, little did I know it would come true. Then just about three weeks ago I was watching Escape from New York (1981) thinking oh this could never happen. Shortly after that they locked down part of New York. Needless to say I’m only watching “happy” movies now and thinking “happy” thoughts.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
Ugh, short walled cubes is are useful in limited situations, like if the employees need to collaborate daily on stuff, but I hated those when I had them back in the day.

The only good thing about it was at the time there were a bunch of contract IT dudes across from our group & one of them was super hot so we got a great view of him all day! :D

I think the days of the corner office for the VIPs needs to go but I don't know what the answer is. In every job I've had if someone had an office they were hardly in it. Why take up that space that could be put to good use for something or several someones? I know it's a big deal to get your own office, but I think those big offices are on the way out. And if they aren't they should be.

I think that's one thing this whole virus thing will do, change the way we all work & go to school. I know there will always be a need for in person training, work & school. You don't want your mortician to never practice on a real body, you don't want your doctor doing the same either but hopefully many workplaces will realize that we have tech than can be used for the furthering of society & not just for outsourcing jobs overseas because they can pay them less money & not be as responsible for their lives & worth.

1,250 Posts
I'd love to think the silver lining of all this is the way we do things. Alas I recall reading somewhere it takes at least 27 days to change a habit and I'd hazard a guess much longer for corporate American to change. As we've already seen too many only are looking at the bottom line a tad to long before doing something. Just read Walmart is closing early opening late. Giving seniors and those more at risk times to shop without the crowds, doing more cleaning and such BUT they are still bottlenecking customers at the door so they can look at your receipt and rummage through your purchases to make sure your not walking out with something unpaid for. Last weekend they had to touch all 6 bags of my feed corn because I might want to return them, had to make sure they were on my receipt. Yeah I'll return them after my chickens are all done with the corn was all I could think. Yeappers my chickens have forced me to shoplift 6 - 50lb bags of cracked corn in my coat eerrr shopping cart.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I, for one, am happy that this will "force" some people to embrace technology in the workplace. While it is not best for everything, it is for many things. I am a project manager and part of my job is to be able to track down the trail of approvals, etc. We have one person who REFUSES to use the online systems we have set up for approvals because she has the misguided belief that if she is the only one who has access to information it is job security. It makes my job SO HARD. Now that we are all online she is having to use the same systems we all are and I hope it sticks. One person not working like the others makes it harder for everyone.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
This has made me realize how wasteful & lazy I can be. There's so much food I buy that I don't use or just ends up expiring & going bad. I literally could live on the stuff in my freezer & cabinets for a few more weeks (with the exception of things like yogurt, eggs, milk, fresh fruit & veggies).

I don't want to see bare shelves in the freezer or cupboards, but I could certainly use up way more of what I have. I think this weekend I'm gonna cook a Honey Baked turkey I've had in the big freezer for a while now. I might have to hit the store for some sort of bread or stuffing mix, but that thing should feed us for a week or more since I'll make turkey stock with the carcass.

I'm also thankful that Animal Planet is running a "Too Cute!" marathon (until 8PM Saturday night) because nothing helps you forget how awful the outside world is like cute puppies & kittens & dere teeny widdle toe beenz!!:love:

When I wasn't in the basement re-organizing, purging & labeling things, I had Too Cute! on & since Comcast screwed me over on TCM (my long time go-to channel for times like this) & moved it to some dumb sports tier, this is where my TV will mostly stay until Saturday nite.

Tonite at 8:30 is Brooklyn Nine Nine, then it's back to kittens & puppies!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've been looking for the silver linings in all of this and I have found a few. 1) This might finally get people "2 weeks ready" which is what we are all supposed to be here in earthquake/volcano land 2) Communities have really stepped up to help one another 3) Service industry/retail workers are finally being seen as worthy! 4) Working from home means I don't have to wear shoes 🙂

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
Just got an email that TJMaxx/Homegoods/Sierra are closing for 2 weeks.

TJX has made the decision to do our part to help prevent the further spread of this virus by temporarily closing all stores globally as of today for the next two weeks in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Australia. The Company is also temporarily closing its online businesses tjmaxx.com, marshalls.com and sierra.com during this time, as well as its distribution and fulfillment centers and offices, with Associates working remotely when they can. This pandemic has affected everyone’s lives, including those of our Associates and customers. We are concerned for the health and financial well-being of our Associates, and we plan to pay our store, distribution and office Associates for two weeks during these closures.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts