Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all do a lot of work to make Halloween magic happen inside and outdoors. It would be a shame if we get low turnouts this year because of COVID-19. Conventions all across the country are being cancelled due to COVID-19 fears. People are becoming afraid of large gatherings. For those of us who do Halloween parties, do you think the virus will affect your attendance? And what do we think about all our friends spreading their germs throughout our house?

·
Registered
456 Posts
By Halloween, Wuhan Virus, Covid-19, whatever you want to call it, will be a distant memory, and the media will have moved on to something else. My personal guess is by early/mid April.

Now, if I were the people running Transworld I would be nervous because of vendors, and attendees, either dropping out or not showing up.

However, people forget about the Flu because it happens every year, but from October 1st 2019 - February 22, 2020 the flu has resulted in the following in the US alone.
  • 32,000,000 – 45,000,000 flu illnesses
  • 14,000,000 – 21,000,000 flu medical visits
  • 310,000 – 560,000 flu hospitalizations
  • 18,000 – 46,000 flu deaths
Corona virus hasn't even reached those levels in China where it started.

See: Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,286 Posts
agree with bobby. it'll be over by the fall, and if not--if it's still so bad at that time that people aren't going to public gatherings--we have bigger things to worry about than ToTing.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
I hope not. I really do believe good weather will help as it usually does with the flu & other colds. But I can't worry about canceling anything like ToTing or parties that far out.

By then we'll be too worried about Halloween & the upcoming election & trying to avoid all those stupid ads they all run incessantly on every channel, local & national. I hate all the frickin' ads, left, right center, doesn't matter, I hate the TV ads.

And as dane82 said, if it isn't over by then & it's so bad people are still not going to public gatherings we'll have bigger things to worry about than no ToTing & canceling our parties, set-ups & haunts of all sizes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I’m extremely private and rarely comment on social or political events however I do believe this warrants a response. Bobby2003 is correct with the Influenza ratios presented. You can verify for yourself on the CDC website which has tracked influenza and other infectious diseases for decades. The media is “hyping” everyone into a frenzy about the coronavirus (Covid-19). The facts are that each year influenza kills more people than all other infectious diseases combined. Yet the media doesn’t seem to cover it? I have lived thru multiple City Destroying hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, Swine / Spanish Flu 2009 (H1N1), Ebola 2014, and now coronavirus (Covid-19). All prior infectious disease events lasted 4-6 months and eventually “burned out” by early summer. This will eventually pass as well. By late summer the coronavirus will be a distant memory and all anyone will be talking about is the presidential election. Keep your Halloween party dates and yes people will show up for trick-r-treats; who doesn’t like free candy. The only concerns would be if you planned on doing a “pandemic” or similar theme for this year you may want to reconsider.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Cold and flu bugs (and COVID-19 is a strain of influenza, not the freakin' plague like the press are making it out to be...idiots) tend to thrive best in low humidity ie: cold weather. I figure by the time we get to the end of April it will be all but gone, at least in the West. As far as infection rates go, influenza has nothing on some other diseases. Something called an RO factor is used to gauge how many other people one infected person can pass a bug onto. See the chart below. Just using common sense with regards to personal hygiene will go a long way to keeping you well, especially if you use public transportation or are any type of public facing job. Attention Anti-Vaxers

·
Registered
902 Posts
A few years back we were dealing with West Nile Virus. The national & local news were going crazy over it. They all said used the same phrase: "Report Dead Crows".
That summer I found several dead crows & I reported them to Arlington Animal Welfare League. I was told (very curtly) that they were aware that West Nile was here & they are no longer picking up dead crows.

Ever since then I've had very little apathy with the press

·
Registered
456 Posts
The media's list of diseases that will cause the zombie apocalypse seems to go on and on.

West Nile
Sars
Triple E (Eastern Equine Encephalitis)
Ebola
Bird Flu
Swine Flu (H1N1)
Zika
Wuhan Virus/Corona

I'm sure I have missed a few.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wouldn't be too optimistic until doctors actually know more. Can't trust China numbers (having lived in China). Wait and see. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, they say.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
At the press conference Montgomery County officials gave today our Chief Health Officer of Public Health Services, Travis A. Gayles, MD, was very calm & he spoke in easily understandable terms & her was very informative.

He starts at 8:06 & speaks until 41:50 & so far it's the best thing I've heard from anyone on this matter.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate (this is a Halloween forum after all) the current media barrage is over the top, as is all media coverage nowadays. Health news no longer makes the news unless it's apocalyptic. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Because of all the hype, more people are washing their hands, avoiding large groups, and doing their best to follow advice on how not to be infected. All those things are actually very good outcomes from very poor news reporting.

Remember the Millennium Bug that was supposed to infect all our computers and crash them? 2000 came and went without incident, but not because there was never a risk. Computer Scientists worked non-stop to prevent the doomsday that the News hyped. People only saw the worst case scenario on the News. What was amazing was all the work that went into preventing that worst case scenario. Had nothing been done by the computer science community, the worst case outcome would have actually happened.

The same thing happens with viruses of any type. If Covid19 wanes, it will be in large part because of the medical community doing what they do without any real acknowledgement. They will be curtailing the virus's spread by putting themselves in harm's way taking care of the infected and helping prevent the spread of the virus through practical approaches. So wash your hands, don't drink bleach, quit licking flag poles, and maybe take a pass on a cruise this year. Combine that with what is going behind the scenes to prevent the virus's spread, and we'll probably be far better off than the worst case scenario that is the News's only interest du jour. But at least all that hype got more folks to actually start doing what they should be doing all along.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate (this is a Halloween forum after all) the current media barrage is over the top, as is all media coverage nowadays. Health news no longer makes the news unless it's apocalyptic. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Because of all the hype, more people are washing their hands, avoiding large groups, and doing their best to follow advice on how not to be infected. All those things are actually very good outcomes from very poor news reporting.

Remember the Millennium Bug that was supposed to infect all our computers and crash them? 2000 came and went without incident, but not because there was never a risk. Computer Scientists worked non-stop to prevent the doomsday that the News hyped. People only saw the worst case scenario on the News. What was amazing was all the work that went into preventing that worst case scenario. Had nothing been done by the computer science community, the worst case outcome would have actually happened.

The same thing happens with viruses of any type. If Covid19 wanes, it will be in large part because of the medical community doing what they do without any real acknowledgement. They will be curtailing the virus's spread by putting themselves in harm's way taking care of the infected and helping prevent the spread of the virus through practical approaches. So wash your hands, don't drink bleach, quit licking flag poles, and maybe take a pass on a cruise this year. Combine that with what is going behind the scenes to prevent the virus's spread, and we'll probably be far better off than the worst case scenario that is the News's only interest du jour. But at least all that hype got more folks to actually start doing what they should be doing all along.

Absolutely true, all the precautions we are not seeing and even the ones that we do see, and the ones that are being criticized for political reasons (e.g. travel bans), will prevent this from spreading as far as it possibly could.

But as far as cruise ships go I'm not sure I wouldn't avoid them anyways because of Norwalk virus, which is basically a gastrointestinal illness. (You can google the specifics of that, but think of a hose sputtering at both ends). There have been 6-12 ships with outbreaks of that every year for 25 years, but that rarely makes the news because networks run tons of cruise ship ads and that money is probably more important.

See: Cruise Ship Outbreak Updates | Vessel Sanitation Program | CDC

About 3 years ago, and about 2 years after they got shut down for improper food handling, that shut down some Chipotles in VA because the managers were basically making people work even if they were sick.

See: Chipotle's recent norovirus outbreak was the result of lax sick-policy enforcement

You just have to take simple precautions and not let irrational, media induced, fear grip you, because from restaurants that don't handle food properly, to the occasional hepatitis outbreak caused by some cook who didn't realize he had it, to "romaine lettuce of death", there's always something that could get you but not a lot that is going to cause humanity to collapse into chaos, or even kill you. I suppose if it was the early 1950s and we were talking about some basically extinct disease like smallpox, or polio, I would be a lot more concerned, but not being elderly, and not being in poor health I am still more worried about getting the flu than Wuhan virus.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with many of you who feel it's been hyped up. But have a small thought about Australia . I swear we really are not this dumb. Due to some misinformation panic buying happened on ( of all things ) TOILET PAPER ! So embarrassing. I can understand if there was a who could look like the best mummy competition. Anyway some people have become aggressive and down right nasty as they battle for Loo paper ! Not me I stayed sane and am busy planning for my haunt. 👻

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with many of you who feel it's been hyped up. But have a small thought about Australia . I swear we really are not this dumb. Due to some misinformation panic buying happened on ( of all things ) TOILET PAPER ! So embarrassing. I can understand if there was a who could look like the best mummy competition. Anyway some people have become aggressive and down right nasty as they battle for Loo paper ! Not me I stayed sane and am busy planning for my haunt. 👻
I saw this somewhere yesterday and saved the image.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yep we've had the mass purchasing of toilet rolls here in the UK. We buy in quite a lot at one go anyway because we get big packs and buy it for the mother-in-law as well. But these guys were going bonkers with the amount of 24-packs they were grabbing off the shelf.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The real culprit in this whole Coronavirus panic is the media. I haven't seen such one-sided hype since the Casey Anthony trial-by-television in Florida a few years back. For some reason the media seems to be jumping on this as if it truly is the zombie apocalypse. They're scaring the crap out of people, making the companies that make and distribute hand sanitizers windfall rich, robbing cities like Orlando and San Francisco out of billions of tourist dollars due to cancelled conventions and driving the cruise industry and Chinese restaurants nearly into bankruptcy. And, of course, they're blaming it all on Donald Trump. The media, gleefully reporting gloom and doom on a daily basis is using the same tactics used by Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearse to start the Spanish/American war. That was called yellow journalism. It doesn't get more yellow than it is today. By Halloween no one will care about Coronavirus anymore. By Halloween, everyone will be reporting that the outcome of the election will kill us all instead. As some of you know, I spent a great deal of my earlier career as a newspaper reporter. I'm almost ashamed to admit these days that I ever was part of the media. Cause it wasn't like this back then.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
My husband just got an alert from his workplace, the Securities & Exchange Commission, that someone there on March 5, 2020 has had symptoms & has been referred for testing. So while that's not a definite positive yet, it still sucks. The last time my husband was in the office was, of course, March 5, 2020. He was not on the same floor as this person but in the building.

It's required telework for the people on that person's floor, but not the rest of the building right now but he's teleworking the rest of the week anyway. He usually only goes in on Tues. & Thurs. anyway but not this week.

As for supplies, we really should have 2 weeks worth of stuff socked away any way (if not more) & meds you should probably have a month (if possible). Here on the East Coast we're getting into thunderstorm/tornado season, in the fall there's hurricane season, & if you've got a real winter you've gotta worry about not being able to get out & about in the snow. So supplies for a few weeks aren't a bad idea in general.

If nothing else this should get some workplaces to realize that telework should be more available for more people, there should be sick leave AND paid leave (or the option to choose that option), & of course it goes without saying healthcare for everyone.

Now I fully admit I don't have the answers on how we get those things, but it's a shame that it takes something like this to get people to even discuss the options.

Still not worried about this come Halloween though.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have a small thought about Australia . I swear we really are not this dumb. Due to some misinformation panic buying happened on ( of all things ) TOILET PAPER ! Not me I stayed sane and am busy planning for my haunt. 👻
Perhaps the run on toilet paper is just evidence that you're not alone deciding to stay out of crowds and work on your haunt at home. There are a number of very popular paper mache recipes that use toilet paper as the primary ingredient. Maybe you just have thousands of folk out there corpsing their pumpkins, making witches, and who knows what else for their haunt. We're going to err on the side that the toilet paper left the shelves in the hopes of a better Halloween later this year. :)

1 - 20 of 143 Posts