Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll admit it, I'm kind of that person who just doesn't DO Christmas, or care much for it. It also doesn't help that my birthday is December 19th....but yes, I don't really "observe" the holiday. I've been away from the forum off and on, but now being back here today, I'm really starting to miss Halloween :(

I try to give Christmas people their space and enjoy their holiday, but I feel the itch sooner this time around! I usually like to give it a few months!

Is anyone else a "Scrooge" or a "Grinch" this time of year? I hope I'm not the only one :( I feel kinda bad about it!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,323 Posts
Yes, I'm normally a Christmas scrooge. Too many years of over-commercialization and the general "gimme" attitudes just about killed it for me. I think the final Christmas killer was a few years ago when our family banded together to help a specific member out by each contributing to the parts and labor to fix her car. It actually felt good until that family member sulked because she didn't have any gifts to open and didn't even say thank you to anyone for helping her out. :mad:

But then in the spring we welcomed a little one into this world and I find myself getting some of the Christmas spirit back. It is my goal to raise my daughter to be appreciative and to actually say thank you when she receives a gift.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,566 Posts
Lost my love of Christmas a few years back (long sad story) so I usually don't do much, but the last two years, we've not even put up a tree or done any decorating at all. And we don't buy gifts for anyone either. We have totally lost all enthusiasm for the holiday.

I would LOVE for this month to be over with already.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Christmas is ok. Im not greedy and wanting anything. Im looking forward to get through winter as I do not like the cold at all.
As I work on Halloween props I have set up a shop in my basement for the winter. I love working outside better. Well Xmas
is in a couple days so lets enjoy it and move on..... :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
From what I've seen, a lot of Christmas-haters had unhappy childhood Christmases, or have family they're not anxious to spend time with. I consider myself very fortunate to have grow up in a family with next to no drama. As kids, we didn't get everything we wanted, but we got nice things every year and my parents were always pleased with whatever my brother and I got them, no matter what it was.
Decorating the tree as a family was a big deal. Baking (and eating) cookies was fun. Christmas eve we lit a huge pillar candle that my parents got the first Christmas they were married, and we sang carols together. We got to spend time with cousins either before or after the holiday, and got to see grandparents.
It was all really, really nice, and made me want to share that joy and magic with my own family.

I do admire people who may not have great Christmas memories, but who strive to provide some for their own kids. My mom was the perfect example of that.

So much of any holiday is what you make it. You can decide whether or not to spend time with toxic relatives. You can decide whether to over-shop and over-spend or to just buy a few significant things for a few significant people. You can decide how high to set the bar so it works with the amount of energy and money you have to put into it without over-stressing. Maybe making a nice dinner with a significant person and watching an old movie is enough-- it can still be special.
My Halloween celebration is actually much more "commercialized" than my Christmas-- more guests, more food, more decorations, more money spent. It's a blast, and yet Christmas with family is more special to all the key players.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what I've seen, a lot of Christmas-haters had unhappy childhood Christmases, or have family they're not anxious to spend time with. I consider myself very fortunate to have grow up in a family with next to no drama. As kids, we didn't get everything we wanted, but we got nice things every year and my parents were always pleased with whatever my brother and I got them, no matter what it was.
Decorating the tree as a family was a big deal. Baking (and eating) cookies was fun. Christmas eve we lit a huge pillar candle that my parents got the first Christmas they were married, and we sang carols together. We got to spend time with cousins either before or after the holiday, and got to see grandparents.
It was all really, really nice, and made me want to share that joy and magic with my own family.

I do admire people who may not have great Christmas memories, but who strive to provide some for their own kids. My mom was the perfect example of that.

So much of any holiday is what you make it. You can decide whether or not to spend time with toxic relatives. You can decide whether to over-shop and over-spend or to just buy a few significant things for a few significant people. You can decide how high to set the bar so it works with the amount of energy and money you have to put into it without over-stressing. Maybe making a nice dinner with a significant person and watching an old movie is enough-- it can still be special.
My Halloween celebration is actually much more "commercialized" than my Christmas-- more guests, more food, more decorations, more money spent. It's a blast, and yet Christmas with family is more special to all the key players.
You're right.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Uh no, I had an amazing childhood in general. Both my parents were still together, two income family, did the tree, lights, cookies for Santa, Christmas dinners, presents (not everything we wanted, but it was more than sufficient) an all around middle class family without drama. My mom really loved Christmas and Halloween, but I, for some reason after she died, started to hate Christmas, maybe because it's a family holiday, so once she died, we weren't really a complete family anymore, even though I have TONS of extended family. My dad and sister like to do their own thing, so I think I just kind of gave up really. I guess mom was the glue and most of the time when we would go to see family, it would be her side of the family who live closer to us.

But yeah, great happy Christmas a a child, but I guess my mom's death 11 years ago is what killed it. Looks like I figured it out. Guess you helped me solve that mystery. The birthday 6 days before doesn't help either...... :(

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I didn't say "everyone" fits the mold but rather, "a lot of".
Sorry about your mom. Mine (gone 6 years now) was the glue for our family too, but I've continued traditions with our nuclear family.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Not really a "true meaning of Christmas" person. For me, it is more about fulfilling obligations with what I've long referred to as my "Christmas Bribes." At this time of year, I make sure to take care of all the people who take care of me. Some gifts are elaborate gift baskets, others are simply homemade goodies that accompany cash or a gift card. Of course there are a few outdoor decorations - nothing over-the-top, and a very "Hallmark" tree to welcome visitors.

If it weren't for the social obligations, I wouldn't bother with any of it.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,323 Posts
So true! I suggested forgoing the whole gift-giving thing a few years ago and just have a nice get-together and the idea didn't go over well.

As a kid, my parents didn't have much, nor did the parents of most of my friends. But the funny thing was that we weren't aware that technically we came from "poor" families because we always had gifts under the tree and always celebrated with family. One of my favorite childhood memories was cutting out decorations from construction paper and adding glitter to them. I hope to return to that tradition with my daughter in the coming years.

I wouldn't say I ever hated Christmas but that I just became disenchanted with it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I was a HUGE Christmas guy when the kids were little, but we're handing the baton off this year. This will be the first Christmas since 1977 that I haven't put up a Christmas tree. All of our kids have moved out, and it's just the wife and I, and there wasn't much point to doing anything this year because we're all going over to my son's house for our Christmas activities this year.

Reactions: ooojen

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm totally the Grinch: not so much because I don't like Christmas, but because Halloween trumps everything (I have Halloween ornaments, Halloween music, pumpkin clothing, etc). I let Halloween seep into literally every other holiday because I like to celebrate it 365 days a year, haha.!

Yes, I too get tired of all the Xmas cheer, but I just sit back and enjoy it for the time being; it also helps that I know my entire wish list is Halloween stuff, so that helps. Just enjoy it for the time being and hope you get something spooky to help the time go by faster :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm totally the Grinch: not so much because I don't like Christmas, but because Halloween trumps everything (I have Halloween ornaments, Halloween music, pumpkin clothing, etc). I let Halloween seep into literally every other holiday because I like to celebrate it 365 days a year, haha.!

Yes, I too get tired of all the Xmas cheer, but I just sit back and enjoy it for the time being; it also helps that I know my entire wish list is Halloween stuff, so that helps. Just enjoy it for the time being and hope you get something spooky to help the time go by faster :)
YES, that is so true! Halloween trumps EVERYTHING for me too! Lol!

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
Christmas is a lot of work for me. The cooking, shopping, decorating, etc all fall on my shoulders. Hate the stress.

Good news... Halloween 2016 is inching closer.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I like Chrismas, but it doesn't have the appeal it used to. My family are on the other side of the Atlantic and the OH's family are more of a chore than a pleasure to do the holidays with. Still, we do our best and do enjoy it. But I'm looking forward to packing up the Christmas decorations and resuming the countdown to next Halloween!

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
My wife and I both work retail. This is my 26th retail Christmas. In a grocery store. That alone puts a kill on the season. We never did the showering of gifts thing with our kids. We don't raise them that way and we provide and give through out the year. We try to teach them what our belief of the true meaning of Christmas is and that spending time with family over these next 2 days is the most important thing. Unfortunately with so many putting the material above all else, and with where we work, we don't have much of a "Christmas spirit" and can't wait for January 1st to roll around.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts