Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot of forum and blog posts (across many sites) that are all variations on the theme of heating a glycerine and water mixture to create fog. In my tests over a small flame, I got very little fog from such a mixture until all of the water had evaporated, and then the heated glycerine fogged up tremendously ... but I suspect that it's hard to keep 100% glycerine from burning, so I'm not sure that that's the solution. Is it actually possible to get a decent amount of fog from a DIY contraption, any any good links?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Why would you want to build your own? I get the whole "it'd be fun and cool" part but...
It will likely cost more than buying a decent proven product;
Safety is always an issue with electricity;
More so an issue with the extremely hot element;
How will you control it? I've taken apart one of my foggers control boxes and there's a lot of circuitry inside. It senses the temperature of the heating element so it doesn't pump fluid when it's not hot enought to vaporize. It knows how long to energize the pump and how long to wait in-between so the element stays hot.

If you need fog somewhere like the mouth of prop you could cannibalize a store bought unit much easier than a DIY project.

Just my thoughts. If someone has done it they may have a different take.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I wouldn't make my own fogger. I've made plenty of fog juice in my life, but foggers, it's just easier to buy a good one than to screw around with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you want to build your own? I get the whole "it'd be fun and cool" part but...
Yeah, that's about it; I like DIY stuff. But if there's not really a reasonable way to do it, I'm not going to waste a lot of time and money to make a crappy, unreliable, possibly dangerous fogger ... which is why I asked the question :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts