Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for yet another projector thread. I've read through a bunch of them and have even been communicating with Icepick (who is crazy helpful by the way) but thought I'd throw this out to the wider community.

Assuming the projector has enough lumens and contrast, is a projector with a native resolution of 800x600 "good enough" for showing AtmosFear clips in a window? What if the window is a large window (close to 70 inches diagonal)? What about a doorway or lawn? Would your answer change if people can get close to 3-4 feet away from the image?

I know that the more pixels the better, but having never seen one of these effects in person, I'm unsure if I should spend the extra money on a better projector, or use that money elsewhere this season.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Room Technology Electronic device Interior design Screenshot

Here's an example of the cheap projector I told you about. Native resolution is a measly 320x 240. It's shooting a 60 inch diagonal at 10 feet from the wall. Picture was taken at same distance. If I wasn't going for a very small projector that has sd card or usb inputs, I wouldn't have even bout this one, and would have went higher. Couldn't beat the price on these though.

Edit: sorry for the sideways picture. Done with smart phone in dumb mans hands.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think Icepick's projection looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing that pic Icepick! What projector is this? I am new to this arena as well and enjoy seeing what other forum members are using.

I guess another thing to think about when selecting your projector is if you plan on using it for other than Halloween events. I ended up with the epson 730hd as my main use will be for outdoor movies and I wanted a better resolution, but didn't have the extra $$$ to spend for a full 1080p and higher lumens/contrast.

I know that Atmosfx suggested 1800+ lumens and a contrast of at least 12000:1, so that was one of the factors I looked at as well as having an HDMI and USB. I wouldn't think a lower native resolution would look that bad. If I were using my projector a few times during the year, I would have gone with lower specs.

Good luck as I know there are many of factors in picking the right projector.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Reno McCoy ~ just curious as to which AtmosfearFx loop you are going to use. I am still deciding. Also, do you know what you are using as a screen for a window?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi,
If you are using the atmosfear fx dvd, the clips contained are only 740x480 ..I have a ranting post about it somewhere in the forum haha.
You probably would be fine. You will also be rear projecting in a dark room and people won't be super close to the image..my modest opinion says it should be ok.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think Icepick's projection looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing that pic Icepick! What projector is this? I am new to this arena as well and enjoy seeing what other forum members are using.

I guess another thing to think about when selecting your projector is if you plan on using it for other than Halloween events. I ended up with the epson 730hd as my main use will be for outdoor movies and I wanted a better resolution, but didn't have the extra $$$ to spend for a full 1080p and higher lumens/contrast.

I know that Atmosfx suggested 1800+ lumens and a contrast of at least 12000:1, so that was one of the factors I looked at as well as having an HDMI and USB. I wouldn't think a lower native resolution would look that bad. If I were using my projector a few times during the year, I would have gone with lower specs.

Good luck as I know there are many of factors in picking the right projector.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TF...+projector&dpPl=1&dpID=41iC7-Uq0UL&ref=plSrch

This is the projector that the above picture is from. My main projector that I use on my whole house is a benq Mx880ust

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-MX880UST.htm

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi completely new/naïve to this as well. Thought about adding a AtmosFear projection to my new mausoleum then started googling projectors and became disheartened- then found this thread and the link to the Amazon projector. Before I get my hopes up would this projector work well outdoors as well. I think since I'm projecting into my mausoleum it will be solid surface. Thanks much!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've been using an old InFocus LP420 since 2009 to project my Hallowindow DVDs onto one of my front windows. It's an 800x600 projector and works just fine. I picked it up used on eBay for $56. Since it only gets used for 4 hours or so a year, the original bulb is still holding out with no noticeable loss of brightness. Is the picture amazing? No, but it's good enough, especially being projected onto a shower curtain and viewed from outside the house. I open the window and crank up the projector's built-in speaker as high as it will go so you can hear the sound from the street. The sound quality isn't anything to write home about, but it's not bad.

Now in my home theater room, I've got an Epson 8500UB, but for my Halloween stuff, my cheapo projector works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts