Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, would you put 3D printed items in the craft section or do you think they should be in the props section?

The first pic is some 3D printer filament that has been twisted to create barbed wire, made by hand, surely thats a craft?
Twig Wood Wire fencing Line Natural material

The next item is a mixture of 3D printed bits such as bird skulls, tombstones etc, definately a mixed media item, but surely thats a craft?
Brown Wood Art Rectangle Painting

And lastly, a vintage style radio, mainly 3D printed but its painted, had vinyl wrapped around the rear, cloth glued in to create the mesh, its mainly 3D printed, Im not sure if its more prop than craft?
Wood Art Gas Musical instrument Antique

Maybe a random post but it might help some people if its clarified, myself included obviously.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,971 Posts
As per the title, would you put 3D printed items in the craft section or do you think they should be in the props section?

The first pic is some 3D printer filament that has been twisted to create barbed wire, made by hand, surely thats a craft?
View attachment 764771

The next item is a mixture of 3D printed bits such as bird skulls, tombstones etc, definately a mixed media item, but surely thats a craft?
View attachment 764772

And lastly, a vintage style radio, mainly 3D printed but its painted, had vinyl wrapped around the rear, cloth glued in to create the mesh, its mainly 3D printed, Im not sure if its more prop than craft?
View attachment 764773

Maybe a random post but it might help some people if its clarified, myself included obviously.
I think it's a craft/art what you do with it.

Also, the bird skulls are something that @AstorReinhardt might be interested in as they've been looking for larger versions that are not super $$ for a project they're working on! Yours are lovely!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the previous poster has a point: it depends on what you do with it that determines its classification, though there is certainly room for some very grey areas. To me, "craft" implies skills/supplies used to create items that express and enhance one's style, home décor, and living aesthetic; while "prop" denotes a specific item—handmade or otherwise—that helps to bring a set or themed room to life. But like I said, there can be very vast grey area in between. Most people would consider a cross-stitched sampler an example of a craft, but what if it says "TOMB SWEET TOMB" and it's hung in a haunted house setting with creepy Grandma figure in a rocking chair? Craft or prop? Or maybe "crafty prop?" I'm not too sure a distinction between the two is even necessary.

·
Registered
Dystopian CyberTech
172 Posts

View attachment 764771

View attachment 764772

View attachment 764773

3D printer is just another tool to build your craft. It's what you make that separates craft from prop. So, barbed wire: prop. Picture framed art: craft. Radio: prop. Props are replicas or reimaginations of items used in the real world. Chainsaws, swords, radios, etc, but not including costumes although costumes may have any number of props on them to describe something about the wearer or state of the costume or its intended purpose.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
Prop Building
164 Posts
I agree with others, 3d printing is a tool, just like clay, just like latex. What you do with it is entirely up to you. In a round about way, using a mold is a form of 3d printing, just in a different medium! I never thought about it as anything other than an amazing tool to help you reach your prop making destination that little bit easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts