Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a project I did a while back and it never progress past the prototype stage. Basically I was trying to build a device that could lift a prop upward and give the appearance that it was rising up from the ground yet the lift mechanism was not visible. I envisioned a prop with a long flowing robe to hide the lift. Just thought it would be cool especially if you had a good blanket of low lying fog!

I built the prototype from various PCV pipe and fittings and used a cord to activate it. The plan was to build it from metal with a steel cable and use a winch to power it up and down. The key to this is to have nesting sections of pipe that fit with in each other not too tight but also not real loose,

I've posted a few pics and a short video. Would love to know if anyone else has made such a prop and how you did it.

http://www.theconcordhomeinspector.com/content/invisible-lift

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like this concept- I am new to haunting but not to working out mechanical problems- I can visualize a flowing robe billowing over this mech as your prop rises up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's great. You pretty much recreated this for what I assume costs a couple of dollars less. I'm still grabbing one the moment I find it on EBay for $10.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
For possibly a better "Scare" situation using what you have built... zip back up from a central location, like have a ghost standing there with nothing supporting it, then it flies up and out of sight, maybe ceiling mounted, pointing down, having something drop-down, zip up and away.
A elecro-hydralic unit out of an antique dentist chair works like this, the lift might only be 18 inches?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Scareisburg - you are definitely on to something. You have me wondering about the potential of motorizing it.

Russel - keep us(me?) posted on the cylinder: How to attach stuff to the top, base mounting, etc. I might actually get around to making my swamp creature if that type of cylinder works out
HM

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scareisburg - you are definitely on to something. You have me wondering about the potential of motorizing it.

Russel - keep us(me?) posted on the cylinder: How to attach stuff to the top, base mounting, etc. I might actually get around to making my swamp creature if that type of cylinder works out
HM
The plan is/was to use an electric winch to raise and lower. If you get the right sized tubes you can add another section to reach higher. I think this works very similar to some extending cranes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really like the concept, but wondering about it's weight capacity, also the noise level. From the video it's fairly loud, wonder if a bit of grease and some bearings on the metal version would ease the sound up?

Fantastic concept tho....

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the weight capacity would be pretty good when its made from steel tubing and using a winch with a steel cable. The issue to me would be height the taller you go the more unstable it will be. So it would need a pretty good sized base if you want to lift a lot of weight up high. Luckly, most props are pretty light and I think 10-15 feet would be high enough.

As for noise yes the plastic is noisy and the fit of the parts is sloppy contributing to the noise. Also I was pulling on the cord with on hand and video with the other so its kind of jerky movement and it dropped causing a big bang. With a electric winch to operate the device coupled with better fitting partsI would expect the up and down to be slower and smoother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts