Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be alone, but I want to see it so bad. Being a weather enthusiast and all. Even if I have to take the kids because we have no babysitter, lol!

I remember when Twister came out, and how badly I wanted to see it, but instead had to see...Harriet the Spy....

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
I've actually only just heard about this movie. I caught the last part of an ad when I walked into the breakroom at work. I, too, am a weather enthusiast... or fanatic might be a better term. And a suspicious observer. Give that one a search. I watch and study and talk about the weather more than your average nursing home. Lole and double Lole if you get the joke on that one.

I remember Twister. I lived in the general area, so to speak. I saw it, quite hilariously, at a drive-in theatre. Extra funny if you're familiar with the movie.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
May 18th, 1898, a big tornado crossed the Mississippi River just south of Savanna, Illinois.
There were two men in a boat. One stood up in the boat and said:"Oh, MY GOD!" fell into the water and drowned. (Maybe he was scared to death?)
As it wandered across the county it killed a farm woman.. most could see and hear it coming and had time to go underground.
The County Poor Farm had one elderly man refusing to get out of bed.. they got him out later.. after a large amount of bricks were removed first.. he was dead.
A farmhand stood outside as it approached and was quoted as saying:"I don't think much about these tornado things." As the tornado lifted him, threw him through an upstairs window, down the stairs- broke his leg....the reporter wrote:"We think he has a better opinion about tornadoes now!"
Then it passed the Lanark, Illinois graveyard (Right next to Rt. 64) and turned several large tombstones!
The thinking of that day was that it was the same tornado that made it to Pennsylvania .. (probably not -present thinking-
3.5 Million dollars of damage happened that day in this county... you could buy a farm then for $2,000! Most had little or no insurance.
The main path of the tornado was going West to East along a country road running parralel to Rt. 64. I am not sure when that country road was named "Cyclone Ridge Road",maybe after that day in May... 1898?

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
Thanks Gym. :D An interesting bit of weather history. Tornadoes are strange things. I've been through three myself. One of which was the EF5 that hit Joplin, MO on May 22. 2011. I remember that day quite well, the events, the stories from others, and the damage to the town I'd lived in since 2001. There is much I can tell you. How so many people had changed their plans or daily routines for some unknown reason(s) that even they can't explain... only that if they hadn't they would have been in the path had they not. All seemed aware. That whole year had been strange. In an area that barely gets snow but ice more often we got 2 FEET of snow in one night. Then a couple months later, just after I had dropped my wife off at work and was on the road home when a freak hail storm hit. It hit hard and fast and turned everything white. I could barely see the front of my car let alone the road. Then the tornado came. it was cool and rainy for 5 days after then suddenly the typical hot humid weather returned and hardly ever where there proper clouds in the sky for the rest of the summer... but that was far from out of the ordinary on that. The heat was always horrid!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Joplin_tornado

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Lilith's Demon
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing