Halloween Forum banner

IoT sunset power switches

• I use them. I like them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use them, but dislike them.

• I don't use them. Still considering...

• Other answer not included above.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What IoT switches are forum users using and having success with? What's your stories on them?

I'm adding a poll at the end of this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a google search using

weatherproof sunset timer switch​

and there are hundreds of hits. Some will have wireless connections that link to an app that gets sunset time from a network server, some have optical sensors that sense the darkness and turn the lights on, some have WiFi connections to a desktop app that triggers the outlets on and off.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Internet of Things, for the curious, would be stuff like your phone accessible doorbell camera or that mega-bucks fridge that can tell you when you're low on eggs. Or the Philips Hue lightbulbs you can change the colors of with an app.

I don't do that stuff because of privacy and security concerns. And also because I have learned the hard way that simple is better with Halloween (and life in general).

·
demonic animatronic
810 Posts
For lighting I use smartthings hub and use leviton in-wall and plug in units with "Z-Wave plus" as well as HUE bulbs in lamps and single light fixtures. Allows me to make much better use of my time and save a ton of energy.

just make sure you are aware of your wifi channels when using smart bulbs like hue or other things with zigbee control as the channel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts