Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the circuit that makes those cheap tea candles flicker is the SAME circuit that made the old singing holiday cards SING! the flickering pattern of the LED candle is actually a SONG!

my guess is that these circuits were overproduced and when the fad of singing cards went away, someone really clever found a resourceful way of re-purposing the circuit =)

I found this out when tinkering with one of the LED circuits to drive a larger LED circuit board, I started to hear a very faint buzzing and realized it was actually Jingle Bells.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Well flicker my LED ! that's a pretty cool FYI........now ya got me wondering what song is playing next time i watch a flickering led candle..... :D

·
Registered
13,612 Posts
A repurposed Xmas item! now there beats the heart of a real haunter there!! :p

Now if I start humming Jingle Bells when my flickering candles are on at halloween time, you guys know who to point the finger at... :D

While I never gave any thought to it other than I wondered how they decided when the light should flicker and when it should stay lit for a longer period of time to give it a realistic lighting look, I guess this doesn't really surprise me since we know that those Mr. Xmas light shows take music in the form of recognizable songs and turn lights on and off for effect based on the pattern of the music. I'm sure it's not quite the same thing and this is obviously digitized to a chip, but fascinating all the same. Jingle bells, Santa smells, hall'weens on the way...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i was in china, they have these super stores of electronics --- like the size of a multi story mall where each store is a vendor of a specific electrical component, a vendor of resistors/capacitors, a vendor of wires, a vendor of ICs, etc...

and there was a vendor of these musical chips! i wish i took a photo, but she had little drawers full of different musical chips like the one above, and each was labeled with the song it played.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
I vaguely remember reading something that flicker effects were made by using audio a long time ago. Looks like it was true!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts