Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to use the 2" pink insulation panels from home depot to make tombstones.
they used to come in about 2'x8' panels.
I haven't made one in a long time.
I don't even see them at home depot onlineanymore.

have they become that hard to find?
any other sources for foam panels?
I prefer not to deal with the typs that crumbles.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There are a lot of places those panels aren't sold anymore. There are plenty of other insulation panels in store that you can use.

·
Typing Away
3,639 Posts
You will most likely have to go in the store to get them. I know in my are the stores have them and Lowes have the green version of if.

·
Registered
412 Posts

go to homedepot.com and search "extruded foam insulation". They should have it available in 4'x8' sheets of various thicknesses (1/2", 1", 2"). The cost may have gone up as most building materials have but it should be in stock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've always used 3/4" plywood to make my headstones. It costs more(especially now, glad I don't plan on making any more),but in the long run, it's cheaper. They will literally last forever, you just need to have the room to store them 11 months out of the year. I've had some of them for almost 20 years.
I cut them out to their rough dimensions, then I glue and screw 2 or even 3 sheets together before trimming them out to their final size. Then I build a base out of the same material, glue and screw everything, then sand and paint them with flat gray acrylic paint after I put the epitaph in place using letters and numbers made of wood. Hobby Lobby and Michaels both sell these. Them I spray them with stone texture paint(that **** is $10 bucks a can).
If Hobby Lobby knew what I was using those numbers and letters for they'd probably ban me from the store.

·
Registered
Prop Building
72 Posts
If you don't mind hoisting some weight around, concrete tombstones are by far my favourite method of making them. $10 Canadian for a bag of concrete and some time and you have a forever prop. I like working with foam tombstones, but I always find between years I always manage to damage them between seasons. I leave the foam for the bigger props that are not at foot and shoe level :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you don't mind hoisting some weight around, concrete tombstones are by far my favourite method of making them. $10 Canadian for a bag of concrete and some time and you have a forever prop. I like working with foam tombstones, but I always find between years I always manage to damage them between seasons. I leave the foam for the bigger props that are not at foot and shoe level :)
I tend to like to be able to modify my tombstones later on - foam is easy, plywood not too bad, but I shudder at trying to reshape a concrete one!

·
Registered
182 Posts
So many media that work for tombstones. i would personally focus on cost and creative flexibility first. Then I would look at availability, and durability. Last thing would be weight. I have used the at least 5 different Styrofoam's, cardboard and wood for tombstones. All of them have had some hits and misses. In TX we always get wind and rain around Halloween, so I have had to wage major wars with both of these elements. I have won most of them, but not without many hours of repairs and restakes until I started finding solutions.

You can special order the 2" but it can be expensive. You might consider getting some normal bead style white Styrofoam, easy to find it in thick pieces, if you are using a hotwire they actually cut and do not make a mess. Sanding on both of them presents similar challenges. On both Styrofoam's when ;you go with grain no problem but against the grain they tend to tear or break apart (is grain the right term for Styrofoam?) It is also a ton cheaper than the Pink stuff.... remember if you heat Styrofoam you can change its surface and it allows you new creative options. If you are going to use paint spray to carve or shape it via the propellent melting method... I would always go with the Pink.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Menards is a midwest big box store & they sell the pink foam, I think its a Owens Corning product. You can buy online from menards, but I suspect it's shipping will kill you so I'd go to owns corning web site & see if they have a store locator

1 - 13 of 13 Posts