Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks.

For those of you playing at home, we've been more or less 'out of the game' since 2016. More because of a major remodeling effort.

https://www.halloweenforum.com/off-topic-stuff/146531-unorthodox-2016-project.html

This year was no different, and our big project was revitalizing the yard.

https://www.halloweenforum.com/off-topic-stuff/193289-pithenge-unorthodox-2018-project.html

So, heading into halloween, the only budget we had left was specifically for the pumpkin carving party.

So, challenge: Build a haunt for free and 7 days of vacation prior to halloween.

The GOOD news being that the landscaping done this year is certainly conducive to halloween.

We got a jump on things over the weekend with every builders favorite free item. Pallets.

Behold the fruits of our budget.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Tossing in items from storage.

Father on the left will get a fresh carved pumpkin where that orange light is a little later.

closeup of the right side.

Plans for the rest of the yard mostly involve using products I've been procuring for the lawn, but we'll get to that soon enough.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So...

With no Halloween budget, we are getting...creative, and simple.

Sing with me.

While working in Arizona years ago, I witnessed a little experiment with coconut coir to aid in keeping lawns green, and it turned out quite well. With our perpetual 100 degrees drought summers, I figured why not here...so I delayed this portion of yard improvement until now.

To create what I like to call the return of the living mounds bars.

We're still playing with lighting and touches. It's a far cry from my 'normal', but coming together. We'll just spread the coconut out after halloween.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That coconut stuff is brilliant! Gonna steal that idea for next year. Instant fresh graves, plus it will actually help my lawn in the summer. Win/ win. Your set up is always inspirational no matter how big or small it is. Love watching you work.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,677 Posts
Already looks amazing (and really love your new yard!). Can't wait to see the aftermath of the pumpkin carving!

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been through about a dozen lighting tests. Here's the more or less final (minus pumpkins of course)

The ancient path of death. (replaced the bridge of death, and the paving stones have actual fossils in them for those playing at home)

The two scarecrows (hard to see on the left here) will get pumpkins for heads tomorrow. I'll pick randomly from the carvings.

The front is going to be largely, if not entirely unmolested from pumpkins.

Though I might put some pumpkins on the gate/entrance to the path of death.

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
Oh...and my neighbors have put up a zipline ghost flying along the fenceline next to the graveyard.

This thing.

So it looks like it's fleeing the graveyard.
Thanks for the video. I didn't realize these ghosts turned their faces around so they were always "flying" forward. :D

I like your crate entrance alot. Very stable, able to support decorations on it and best of all cheap "big" effect and the rustic look goes well with the overall look of the yard with pumpkins and straw. OK learned something new...I've never heard of coconut bricks before. Great idea for the graveyard. Going to source this locally for next year. So I was thinking the standing rocks in your seating area were going to be grave stones. The yard remodel looks great btw. Did ours a few years ago and while took forever it seemed, well worth the money and effort. What special things did you incorporate for your halloween decorating?

Can't wait to see photos from your annual neighborhood pumpkin carving. I always admired you for gathering the kids together to do this and sure they look forward to it. When we were kids we carved a pumpkin each year to put outside our door but by the looks of it in my neighborhood I don't think parents do this so much any more with their kids. The fresh pumpkin smell, the goo of the innards, the fun of creating a face on the pumpkin--all great memories from my childhood. Of course back then we also used real candles inside so had the added sensory experience of heated pumpkin!

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greetings from the party aftermath.

It was FRIGID when we began. An unforecasted wind whipped up out of the north. As such, the fire pits were getting a lot of workout.

Talia had insisted we needed more bones, and flitted around depositing various bits around the graves.

Carving goes on as always.

I'm always surprised at where kids decide to put things.

More of Talia's handiwork on the fence.

She also had me add the shovel to Fred's grave.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone did a fantastic Oogie pumpkin freehand.

Ed and his pumpkins. I suspected he'd gather the majority.

I have a lot of cleaning up to do this year, moving stuff, staging it so it all faces the right direction.

As such, I didn't pull out my nicer camera to get the real good glamour shots. My wife will have better pics of the party when I raid her phone as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Full photo gallery.

http://www.anunorthodoxhalloween.com/blog/?page_id=2177

More from the party

traditional crew pic. Talia was "The Curious" from the new netflix series "Creeped Out". And supremely creepy at it back behind the candy table.

My costume was a last minute change. Older mask of mine, but my plan of shaving the head and doing appliances was not going to hold with the cold. I needed my fur. Was called everything from the devil to a viking.

And , of course, Pithenge. I left it largely unmolested this year. Looking forward to many years of use out of this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts