Halloween Forum banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Marigold, you're a floral designer. I am sure you've seen (and maybe done) those mum arrangements that look like a dog. I wonder if you could do one like a skull? Have it as a "hidden Mickey" somewhere and see if anyone notices.
Edited to add: I found something that isn't what I think I meant, but is subtle and might be what I actually meant. Scroll down the page and look for the word skull. It's actually a skull and crossbones, but as I said, very subtle. http://www.vivcore.com/kanzashicore/gaijin_geisha_kanzashi.html

·
Registered
381 Posts
I usually have something floral around...I have this great skull prop given to me from a friend in FL. I usually do it up different every year. 68391_244651692328634_1265817311_n.jpg

Marigold, you're a floral designer. I am sure you've seen (and maybe done) those mum arrangements that look like a dog. I wonder if you could do one like a skull? Have it as a "hidden Mickey" somewhere and see if anyone notices.
Edited to add: I found something that isn't what I think I meant, but is subtle and might be what I actually meant. Scroll down the page and look for the word skull. It's actually a skull and crossbones, but as I said, very subtle. http://www.vivcore.com/kanzashicore/gaijin_geisha_kanzashi.html

·
Registered
381 Posts
Designer tip: Hot glue gun & 2 pieces of dry arranging floral foam make wonderful cobwebs.

Heat up glue - take one piece of dry foam, put alot of glue on one side...then take the other piece of foam and marry the two pieces...then pull apart until you have the thickness of cobwebs. Lay on anything...comes off easy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Off My Meds...would you be so kind to give more details to your game. I have never played one, only because the party is so large and I would never be able to corral everyone to do something...but this sounds different. What types of questions do you write on the slips in the pill bottles? Do they have to do something to get the shot or prize or gag gift?

I'm also doing this theme. You have some great ideas!

I'm planning on using white sheets to line my garage and the hallway with.
The garage area is going to be the "Activities" room. I usually have tables and chairs out here. I have puzzles and checkers that will be stacked up and game pieces will be scattered on the floor and tables. I have some old game boards that will go in the middle of some of the tables and I will have an old lady sitting in a rocker knitting. Of course the needles will be stuck in her and the yarn will be everywhere.
View attachment 202516

The hallway will be lined with sheets as well and I have a little girl who is sitting with her hands over her face.
View attachment 202517

The laundry room, which connects the garage to the hallway will be the Dr. Office. I have medical books, skulls, posters, things in jars, case study books etc. to add to the office

The living area will have an Admission office and it will have a patient that is undergoing some sort of "procedure" .....I will use the fireplace for all the instruments, machines etc. I will have a Dr. (of course) doing the procedure. I'm going to use my little creepy guy I used at my Carnevil party, just because I think it's funny. View attachment 202518
I have an embalming machine made and I have tons of cables and tubes that will be hooked up to him..

The bathroom will be used as my "medicine" room. I have tons of those little cups that look like the ones they put little pills in at the hospital and boxes and gauze and other medical stuff to just set around.
View attachment 202520
I'm also thinking of using the bath tub for one of those "water treatments" where just the head is showing.

the stairway is going to be my "children's ward" . I have a Samara made and girl who will be climbing on the wall. I have a little boy made as well that will be sitting on the stairs looking out between the bars. He needs a little more work.

The dining room and kitchen are my biggest problems.......I made some "wallpaper" for the dining room. I glued old papers and medical pictures to some brown paper, then added pictures of my guest from past parties to it. I still need to add some creepy sayings and more pages. I'm thing of tea dying some gauze and hanging some strips down, and again I'm using a white sheet to separate the dining and living room.
I made 4 panels of these
View attachment 202525

Your game sounds like FUN!!
We are playing a, Have you had your meds Today? type game. Basically, if they want to paly they can. I'm going to put 20 medicine bottles in a basket or on a tray, and they have to pick one bottle. It will have a paper inside with a question or saying and they either get a "shot" or a prize or a gag gift. I'm doing it 3 times during the night. My Daughter loves to be the one to help so she will be carrying it around.

I have my trophies made and I'm using a "warrant" looking folded paper with involuntary commitment paper to the "Westwind Asylum" for my invites. It's double sided and should not be much to mail. I was going to use little pill bottles or the syringe pens at first but had to go with the cheaper option due to mailing cost.
I have some pictures in my album.

Sorry for the long post.........
Thanks for starting the thread and hopefully more people are dong this theme and we get lots of ideas!!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
It's hard to get everyone together to do a game as well at my party.

I printed up sayings such as " Have you had your shot today? " < they get a shot...I'm planning on having several different ones available.

Chocolate is good therapy -big chocolate bars
Have you lost your marbles? - little bag of marbles
It rubs the lotion on its skin - bottle of lotion
You would be crazy not use a koozie - koozies from dollar tree
Money, the root of all evil - lotto tickets
Are you nuts? - jar of nuts..........................
things like that. I tried to make all the sayings relate to the asylum. I've split all the prizes up into 3 groups, shots, good prizes and gag prizes.. x 20, so there will be 60 total. most being shots. If 20 people don't play we will just add the leftovers to the next round. so they really don't have to do anything, just pick a bottle and hope they don't get a gag....I thought this would be the easiest way to get people to participate.
I'm also having a movie trivia game. They can play if they want or not. just something else for them to win a prize.

I think it would also be fun to play with tempt your fate.

I will have an option for the guest who don't want to do a shot.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Pumpkinpie

Yes, thank you! I saw it on your pinterest page this am.....I am just afraid to staple to the walls in my house...looking for a lightweight solution.
Saw a roll of polyester batting at the Goodwill the other day. Maybe that spray adhesived to foam core, then with a sheet over would work. If not, I will come up with something else...(should have waited to paint the walls until after the halloween party!!!)( They are painted a nice shade of grey though!!!)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just checked the thread....everything is looking wonderful! What are you wearing for a costume to go with your theme? I'm struggling myself....I'm thinking asylum administrator...but how to pull it off so I don't look like a women in a suit~

Thought I would share with you my old lady administrator look...it's coming together.... IMG_20140915_123531073.jpg

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Whoa that get up looks creepy! I love the shoe choice with the suit. A clip board perhaps with some asylum info on it? A name tag, something like Agnes Cruel, Shady Oaks Director. Some good catch phrases to shout at people every so often. "Did you take your pills?" "Orderlies!" And maybe a pocket full of "pills" candy to hand out.

Or perhaps some cards with phrases, like
Report to the lobotomy room
This patient needs rest and a soak in an ice bath
Diagnosis: Criminally insane

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
On the wall issue, what I do is sew one end of the sheets so I can run a dowel rod through it. Then I just use two push pins to put it in the wall. That saves from having too many holes. If you're doing it in your garage, you could do the same with PVC pipe, shower curtain rod or whatever and string/zip ties. Just put a few strategically placed eye hooks on the wall or ceiling.

·
Registered
719 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thank you Dawnski!
I have a clipboard and some asylum stuff to print to put on it. I love the catch phrase ideas! And saw a cool pin this morning using good and plenty candies for pills. Might just fill a few big pill bottles with those to handout. I need a nametag!

Whoa that get up looks creepy! I love the shoe choice with the suit. A clip board perhaps with some asylum info on it? A name tag, something like Agnes Cruel, Shady Oaks Director. Some good catch phrases to shout at people every so often. "Did you take your pills?" "Orderlies!" And maybe a pocket full of "pills" candy to hand out.

Or perhaps some cards with phrases, like
Report to the lobotomy room
This patient needs rest and a soak in an ice bath
Diagnosis: Criminally insane

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread! I'm subscribed and watching it like a hawk, lol, as I'm also having an asylum themed Halloween party this year. :)

81 - 100 of 145 Posts