Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing an insane asylum theme this year and have seen a few threads with questions regarding specific games, food, etc. but I figured it would be good to have a general thread for those of us that are going with this theme to exchange overall ideas. I can't lie, part of the reason for this thread is self serving…helps me to keep my ideas all in one place. :eek:

Please forgive me if I'm not supposed to include links in the post. I tried to make sure all links included go directly to my pinterest page in hopes to not break any rules here.

Here's what I have so far:

Food -
Can't decide if I want to do the full "autopsy man" (courtesy of another HF member) :
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956842556/

or various body part themed platters like this one:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956842548/

Red Jello syringe shots:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956769928/

Yellow "pee" Jello shots in specimin cups:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956791463/

Interior Decor-

Patient/s facing corner in straight jacket:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956472010/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956743908/

Directional signs:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956472142/

For the bathroom:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956471946/

Old doctors bags & various old medical supplies:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956472075/

Apocothery jars with medical labels:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956743810/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/202662051956791433/

Games:
I'm still trying to fine tune this one…it's just a thought at this point. We have a large group of friends, many of whom don't know each other well so this is also meant to encourage folks to interact that may otherwise not. Sidenote - DH is 42 and I'm 39. Our friends are usually a pretty rowdy group, in an adult kind of way if that makes sense. i.e. Big drinkers/partiers but also responsible parents, gainfully employed etc. ;)

Crazy photo dare contest -
There will be a posted list of "crazy/insane" things to do with a corresponding point amount (between 1 - 5) , and all participants must take a photo of themselves while completing the task. Obviously the more risqué the task, the more points. All participants must text me the photos as they take them and there will be a 10:00 p.m. cutoff time where I will tally up the points and award a prize. After the party I'll make a slideshow of all pics and email it to the guests. Figured it would be a fun keepsake of the night.

Some of the things I'm thinking are:

Big smile selfie in garage blacklights (1 point)
Take a yellow urine jello shot (2 points)
Compromising position with one of the props (3 points)
Kiss a guest on the cheek you have never met (2 points)
Kiss a guest on the lips you have never met (5 points)
Dancing on the stripper pole (3 points) (yes, we do have one which only comes out in our backlight garage during our Halloween parties :eek: )
…..you get the idea.

Also, I plan to print out a customized Certificate of Insanity for each guest with their own individualized reason for being crazy to take home with them. We did something similar to this a few years back and people still talk about it.

Things I'm still stumped on are food, more decor ideas, invites, and games/prizes. For those of you that are doing this theme, what are your ideas so far? I'd love to hear what everyone is planning!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I'm also doing this theme. You have some great ideas!

I'm planning on using white sheets to line my garage and the hallway with.
The garage area is going to be the "Activities" room. I usually have tables and chairs out here. I have puzzles and checkers that will be stacked up and game pieces will be scattered on the floor and tables. I have some old game boards that will go in the middle of some of the tables and I will have an old lady sitting in a rocker knitting. Of course the needles will be stuck in her and the yarn will be everywhere.
018.JPG

The hallway will be lined with sheets as well and I have a little girl who is sitting with her hands over her face.
016.JPG

The laundry room, which connects the garage to the hallway will be the Dr. Office. I have medical books, skulls, posters, things in jars, case study books etc. to add to the office

The living area will have an Admission office and it will have a patient that is undergoing some sort of "procedure" .....I will use the fireplace for all the instruments, machines etc. I will have a Dr. (of course) doing the procedure. I'm going to use my little creepy guy I used at my Carnevil party, just because I think it's funny. 007_7.JPG
I have an embalming machine made and I have tons of cables and tubes that will be hooked up to him..

The bathroom will be used as my "medicine" room. I have tons of those little cups that look like the ones they put little pills in at the hospital and boxes and gauze and other medical stuff to just set around.
010.JPG
I'm also thinking of using the bath tub for one of those "water treatments" where just the head is showing.

the stairway is going to be my "children's ward" . I have a Samara made and girl who will be climbing on the wall. I have a little boy made as well that will be sitting on the stairs looking out between the bars. He needs a little more work.

The dining room and kitchen are my biggest problems.......I made some "wallpaper" for the dining room. I glued old papers and medical pictures to some brown paper, then added pictures of my guest from past parties to it. I still need to add some creepy sayings and more pages. I'm thing of tea dying some gauze and hanging some strips down, and again I'm using a white sheet to separate the dining and living room.
I made 4 panels of these
001.JPG

Your game sounds like FUN!!
We are playing a, Have you had your meds Today? type game. Basically, if they want to paly they can. I'm going to put 20 medicine bottles in a basket or on a tray, and they have to pick one bottle. It will have a paper inside with a question or saying and they either get a "shot" or a prize or a gag gift. I'm doing it 3 times during the night. My Daughter loves to be the one to help so she will be carrying it around.

I have my trophies made and I'm using a "warrant" looking folded paper with involuntary commitment paper to the "Westwind Asylum" for my invites. It's double sided and should not be much to mail. I was going to use little pill bottles or the syringe pens at first but had to go with the cheaper option due to mailing cost.
I have some pictures in my album.

Sorry for the long post.........
Thanks for starting the thread and hopefully more people are dong this theme and we get lots of ideas!!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Love this thread. It will be amazing to have everything together. We did one for the fortune teller theme and it is wonderful.

Why not do the Winking Murder game with all the deaths having to have an insane or bizarre twist to them?

I will be following this because it is so much fun!

For one of the rooms I would have a skelly or prop being examined and bent over for a cavity search!!!

Lobatamy surgery founder pic

Insane Asylum Invitation

Eyeball box

I think a padded room or hallway could easily be made with the egg crate looking foam and is a must for this theme. This would be so much fun.

Padded walls or room

Room door sign

Sign about skeletons in closet

Weclome mat

Insanity Certificate

More insanity certificates

Pic of things taken from insane person's stomach

Boy getting lobotomy pics

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy cow offmymeds, you've been busy! I love the "wallpaper" and your creepy kneeling girl (she now lives on my interest page too! :D ). What did you use for her pants?

Seeing all your awesome pics kinda lights a fire under my you know what! I was going to do this theme last year but bailed because I ran out of time. Only thing I have done from last year is purchased a wheelchair and stenciled some hospital gowns for my Walgreens skeletons with "Forsyth County Insane Asylum". Now I'm rethinking the hospital gown idea after seeing how cool the all white looks on your girl. I better get to work!

printersdevil, THANK YOU for all those links! I especially like the door sign…it will be perfect for our party since it's usually loud and people seem to trickle in and out all night and I can't always hear the doorbell. Also like the padded room, I'll have to figure out how to incorporate that somewhere.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I usually put things on a Pinterest Board called Ideas for Friends when I see something that I know others are doing. That way I have a reference to it later. With Secret Reapers coming up you never know what you will need. I just love threads like this so that all things are together.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thanks kmb123! That is actually a 2 piece pj set I found at the thrift store. It was a size small, its still kindof big on her but it works.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I ordered them from Mountainside medical equipment. 50 for 12.50.+ shipping, so it was $20.49.....I didn't think that was bad. :)

I found these at Goodwill............great for little "pills". I even thought someone could use them for Save the Date, or treat bags.

003.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
offmymeds - Awesome score on the pill bags from GW. I went yesterday and got two sets of scrubs for my doctors/nurses. Thanks for the info on the urine specimen cups, I'm off to order mine in a few! :D

dawnski - I've been a follower of yours for quite some time on Pinterest…you always have awesome stuff! I especially like the water bottle labels and will definitely be using those this year. Also, the bedpan food serving idea is hysterical!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome stuff offmymeds!!! Gets me so excited! :D

I wish my DH shared my love for Halloween…I don't start pulling stuff out of the attic 'til the last week of September to avoid hearing him b*tch and moan about the mess. I'm actually trying to find somewhere to stash my big box of urine sample cups that came today. Speaking of which, have you gotten yours yet? I'm a little disappointed, not sure why but I thought the stickers would come separately so that they could be attached after filling them up with "urine" (ha!).

photo-34.JPG

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thanks!
My hubby's not very into it either but he lets me do whatever I want ;)

My cups will not be here until wed!! I thought the labels would be separate too! WTH? how are you supposed to piss in the thing if the cap is attached? smh.............

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Omg the lady in the wheelchair is hysterical!!! Love everything....

I'm right there with u kmb....mine only commits to a few hours at the party, besides that I'm on my own...he gets excited with my crafts/props but beyond that he could care less :(
Same here…it sucks! I'd give anything if he'd help out with stuff, or at minimum at least not complain about my messes…I mean, doesn't everyone have a big box of urine specimen cups next to their loafers in the middle of July?! The thing that really gets me is how he complains about everything up until the night of the party and Halloween night at which point he's front and center to accept all the oooh's and ahhhhh's and compliments. :rolleyes:

My cups will not be here until wed!! I thought the labels would be separate too! WTH? how are you supposed to piss in the thing if the cap is attached? smh.............
I looked at my receipt to see why mine arrived so quickly and I paid for expedited shipping! Guess that will teach me to do online shopping late at night after a couple of glasses of wine! :eek: And yea….I don't get the whole sticker thing. I tried carefully peeling one off in hopes that I could reapply it after "pissing" and it didn't work out too well. Grrr….that was the part I really liked about it! Oh well, to us it's a big deal….I'm guessing our guests will still think taking a jello shot out of a pee cup rocks! ;)

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
About this Discussion
144 Replies
22 Participants
SullivanScarefest
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing