Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

I have this "urn" and galvanized pumpkin I want to set out by my front door. I want something to fill the urn and spill out a little from underneath the jack-o-lantern that will sit on top of it. Other than moss or hay (both too messy) do you have any ideas of something else I can put in here that would look good?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A few ideas, Faux ivy vines, wheat stalks (real or fake), Sunflowers, Mums, Hops, Berry branches, tree branches, corn stalks, Creepy cloth, Cat tails.

·
Registered
705 Posts
How about some vines? I used this tutorial, but used wire to attach some big, fake maple leaves -- kind of like pumpkin vines.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the ideas. I will get myself to Hobby Lobby this week and look into the fall leaves or vines idea. I also like the creepy cloth idea. I am not a crafter so it needs to be very straight-forward and simple! LOL

I need to clarify that the pumpkin itself will not be filled. It lights up by permanent faux candle inside and needs to be lifted off the urn to turn it on or off. I need something to go in between the urn and the pumpkin.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thank you for the ideas. I will get myself to Hobby Lobby this week and look into the fall leaves or vines idea. I also like the creepy cloth idea. I am not a crafter so it needs to be very straight-forward and simple! LOL

I need to clarify that the pumpkin itself will not be filled. It lights up by permanent faux candle inside and needs to be lifted off the urn to turn it on or off. I need something to go in between the urn and the pumpkin.

Thanks again!
Ah gotch ya. Then you probably won't be needing any of the tall stuff I suggested. I was thinking the creepy cloth could kinda mimic moss a bit without the mess.

Where did you get that urn? What is it made of?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the creepy cloth idea, too. Will def look into it. Thank you! The urn is probably PVC. It's a lightweight plastic of some sort. I will have to put some stones in it to make it more sturdy but it will be easy to store. I got it at At Home. It was $10.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Shoot we don't have an At Home in my neck of the woods. Will have to see if they have an online site and ship. I'd like to put some type of urn shaped vases in front of my mausoleum. I really like the shape of yours.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We really don't have any either - it's 50 miles away! I just happened to be in the general area months back so it worked out. Truthfully, you aren't really missing anything. I was not impressed overall. :cool:

·
Registered
440 Posts

Thanks again!
Might want to check Michael's and Joann as well. All their fall floral is 60% off.

If it were mine I'd go with these, not sure how much you're looking to spend though.

Watch out for colorfastness with bright fall colors. A lot of the stuff out there is not water safe. You'll have a big mess if it gets wet.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might want to check Michael's and Joann as well. All their fall floral is 60% off.

If it were mine I'd go with these, not sure how much you're looking to spend though.

Watch out for colorfastness with bright fall colors. A lot of the stuff out there is not water safe. You'll have a big mess if it gets wet.
Oh, I like this, too! I will definitely go check out JoAnn and Michaels, too. Also, water should not be an issue but fading could be. I am in So Cal so it never rains but the sun is usually still really strong (and hot) through most of October. Luckily, we have had a fairly mild summer so I am hoping we don't get a hot October at all. I am ready for FALL!

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few years ago I put some dead tree branches in my urns by my front door and put the $1 crows on walmart from them and some spiderwebs. Kind of a Hitchcock Birds look--it was more of a creepy than cutesy look, but not anything scary as we have a lot of little kids coming and going. Got a lot of positive comments from people in the neighborhood about it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up going with the black wreath. Got one at Michaels for $8! It will be easy to place that over the top of the urn and place the pumpkin on top. I will probably add some color to it by gluing on small ornaments, etc. Thanks, all, for your help getting me here!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts