Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this morning, I took my 6 year old son over to the neighbors house to get him on the school bus (the stop is right across the street from our houses and we wait for it on their driveway), and while we're waiting, I happen to glance into their garage. On the floor were pieces of wood from their old cedar fence (cut into 1' pieces) laid out on cardboard and spray painted black. It looked curiously like a mini-sized cemetary fence so I asked my neighbor's 4 year old son what he was building.

And do you know what he said?

That he and his 9 year old brother were building a CEMETARY FENCE just like mine!

My poor heart nearly exploded with joy! I told my neighbor that I LOVE the fact that her kids are really embracing Halloween so early - and that I'm being such a good Halloween influence on them (last year, the 9 year old HAD to get a fog machine). She just laughed. She's actually the one who peer-pressured me into putting up my cemetary early this year (because, you know, she really needed to twist my arm /sarcasm) since, once the decorations are all up, they take "field trips" past my house every night at bedtime.

The 9 year old even asked her to ask *me* how he could get the fence to stand up by itself. Needless to say, I pulled out the old PVC pipe and rebar answer. I promised that I'd cut them some pieces of PVC, glue them on for the kids and that they could have some of my leftover rebar. AND I said that the next time I go to Dollar Tree, that I'd pick them up a few of those little tombstones.

How awesome is THAT?!?!? Seriously? Made my day ... maybe my entire year.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,875 Posts
That is wonderful! You've inspired a new generation to decorate and you got them started young! :D

We have some neighbors next door to us that decorate with inflatables and some lights/webs, and their little girl asked me how do we do all the stuff we do? :p

Seems that their house used to be the Halloween house before we moved in, and the lady said her kids are just amazed and loved our decorations... I may have to give them some decorations this year...

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
I love it that my 2 boys love Halloween just as much as I do. It's so neat to hear them talk about what they are going to build or how their haunt will look someday when they have kids.

Be proud, you did good!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cool story! Im planning on doing a cemetary this year. We ripped up almost all our bushes in our "flower garden" and it looks bare. I figured it would be perfect for tombstones and the like. Im going to have to remember the pvc and rebar idea.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL! Thanks guys. Like I said, this really made my day today. So do you know what I did? I went to Dollar Tree while all the kids were at school, and bought them some tombstones, a bag-o-bones, a few bags of spider webs and some battery tealights. Then, when they got off the bus, I handed them over.

Just the look on their faces made it worth the 1/2 hour drive to Dollar Tree.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
That is awesome!!!!!
We should all keep a box of clearance or unwanted items on hand to pass out to a kid that is showing interest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts