Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Jason Met 'CLAWdia'...

Ok ALMOST DONE! Just some light adjustments and details to be had.
I was on a budget this year as most of us are. I like to attempt to make things myself every year. These all made from 'junk', old free scraps of wood, Dollar store items, esp. tablecloths (A GOD SEND), thrift items, and lots of tape...though for supplies and enhancements, I did spend around $190. (Hey, I started waay back in August OK? Lol)
Meet my static props - and here's a few pics of my itty-bitty 'yard'. It doesn't have much of a theme other than INSANE ASYLUM (those who have gone insane, or creatures that would haunt you to insanity)..it's chaotic and thats what I prefer lol.

HOPE THESE IDEAS HELP SOMEONE OUT!

*Im rather new to prop making & I know it's not perfect, but I LOVE them and if you ask me....not to shabby since they're all made out of junk I've found around the house!*Not to mention I don't own any power tools NOR do I have ANY outdoor outlets :( It was a challenge, but that's the fun of it for me.

-My fave horror movie villain, Jason V. holding a skull alive & well-next to his (tombstone=free).
He's made out of wooden stakes, and a few old curtain rods, dollar store mask & hands, clown suit from thrift shop.
-the trunk I saw out front of someones house, it was obviously garbage, but was a perfect halloween decor item. $10 walmart light up skull & hands thrown in there (from last year).
(spelled it my way lol)
Night Tree
Text Font Banner Calligraphy
Mime artist Skeleton Art Costume Clown

This is my pride and joy. 'CLAWdia'. She's about 9 feet tall. Made out of a long thin piece of wood, insulation, $1 table cloths, few old curtain rods, $4 wig head. The wood for her tombstone was also free. Here she is ripping her hair out in a psychotic fit of rage....

Purple Violet Supervillain Costume Fictional character
Purple Tradition Fictional character

Here's a few reaper / scarecrows also made out of $1 plastic tablecloths, and $1 skulls/mask
Pink Outerwear Costume Tradition
Lady Tradition Ghost Dress Fictional character
Scarecrow Ghost Plant Tradition

1st attempt at cardboard toe-pincher coffin, covered in plastic tablecloths to protect from rain, mummy man inside is an old tarp tied up like a rump roast, battery operated $4 pumpkin strobe sits above his head.

Statue Lawn ornament House Yard Home

8ft. $15 inflatable frankie completes the look.
Light Lighting Home Christmas lights Night

My fave concept since i was a kid, as well as my moms favorite piece lol!
Squished person in window.
For some reasons this one really creeps out the lil' ones!
Floor Tail Flooring Dog breed

There's also a rickety fence made out of wooden stakes and creepy cloth, red lights were $2.29 per 50 set @ Target in Xmas aisle.

Thanks to all who read this and thanks to this site for giving me budget friendly ideas to lead me in the right direction. Im so EXCITED because as u can tell, no one on my street really decorates for Hallows Eve - and I pretty much went nuts!
I love how the cars slow down to stare and kids squeal as they walk by.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Crazy Cage Victim! The new guy in town!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think you did a great job! I especially like how you used the tattered-up tablecloths on so many props. I bet they really flutter nicely when the wind blows!

We also have a small front yard, and I think it makes us better haunters because we have to really think about every prop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you did a great job! I especially like how you used the tattered-up tablecloths on so many props. I bet they really flutter nicely when the wind blows!

We also have a small front yard, and I think it makes us better haunters because we have to really think about every prop.
Thanks sooo much skelly! I appreciate that! AND YES I totally agree about the small yard. It really can be difficult but deff worth the challenge. Plus, I bet passers-by don't expect to see the tiny 2-by-4 yard to be all decked out. It's something unexpected.
This was my first yard haunt lol. Please post pics of yours if you're doing one this year!
Today was EXTREMELY windy and I was in awe of the tablecloths haha.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great job for 190! Iv almost spent that much on one prop I am building this year aghhh.
Wow I wish I had the know-how to build detailed life-like props! I'm sure it was worth every penny. BELIEVE me I would LOVE to buy props but I think i'd be too protective of them to ever put them out. Link me to a pic please!
Thanks for the compliment! Calloween!

The "squished person in the window" is a new one to me. Great idea! Heh.
@jeff, really? Awesome! Thanks but I can't take credit. I remember this 1 house as a kid I always used to ask my mom to drive by every year around h-day cause the it had bent legs with boots sticking out of the window-as if he was kicking for his life. I always thought it was real for some reason lol. It stuck with me and mom.
It even freaked out a few teens last year-but I gave it a makeover this year by adding ankles lol.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@theedwin thank you so so much!! although I know it looks thrown together (which I like lol) it took lots of time. I appreciate your compliment! im so excited!!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I thought I had a small yard. I was thinking I should use my neibors house as well. lol It truly looks great and love the smashed window guy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, you did a whole lot with a little. Nice job!
Thank ya @pumpkinhead625! I'm thrilled you like it!

wow, awesome "bang-for-the-buck"
and very creative!
i luv it/them, lol
congrats, job well done!
amk
YAY thanks so much for the compliment @annamarykahn! Means lots!

I thought I had a small yard. I was thinking I should use my neibors house as well. lol It truly looks great and love the smashed window guy.
thx @buggy!! Sounds like a genius plan! Just make sure it's OK with the neighbor Lol! :D

You are after my own heart, love your ingenuity!
@mement, AMEN! & thanks so much!

and @ jojo thank ya!! I'm happy that my 1st haunt is winning the approval of some of you! Now I feel amazing! Haha

·
Funeral Crasher
7,453 Posts
You've put together a fantastic yard haunt. I can tell you put a lot of work into it. Great job!
I like the squished person in the window also.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Daveinthegrave, thanks so much for the compliment! :D Really appreciate it!!
@dept thank ya! It's not that great but it's a first for me and your input made my day!

Edit---Im trying to make a torture cage out of an old accordion door right now..wish me luck, cause I'm pretty frustrated with it already lol-might not succeed

·
Registered
151 Posts
Super job, creepy looking and best of all it was on the cheap, which is always good. I'm into the recycling stuff to make creepy stuff myself this year as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@DesertSasquatch, thank u soo much! Creepy feel was what I was going for. And YES it never hurts to try and recycle every now & again, and since halloween is based on chaos & things not making sense, it doesn't have to be 'perfect' ! <3

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Latest Addition To My HomeMade Yard Haunt: As I mentioned in previous post, I was super frustrated trying to make a gib/torture cage out of an old accordian door, but with tons of tape I did my best.
then found some pool noodles @ Dollar General for 10 cents a piece and made simple armature + $1 mask
I know it's nowhere near perfect but I think this turned out to be my fave prop!
It's now hanging by my entrance doorway.
THANKS ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR ENCOURAGING COMMENTS! HAPPY HAUNTS!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts