Halloween Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
regarding the walmart frames
save the frame part.
you can use the side pieces to prevent bowing. although you may want to paint them black

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know some members here have used some kind of plastic that comes on a roll for a peppers ghost. I think it's used for covering your windows in the winter and you use a hair dryer to make it shrink to fit tight.
Just make a frame out of PVC as large as you want and cover it with the plastic.

This stuff:
http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2627449
I did the exact same thing two years ago for a small local fundraising haunt and it worked great. Couple of words of caution though... it needs to be in still air or it will "flap" a bit (we ended up moving ours because of this), and it will REALLY show fingerprints if you have it in blacklights (at least ours did, not sure what the girls had on their fingers when they touched it, but they really stood out if you lingered a while and stared). We had to reskin our prop with it once due to this issue (this was a week-long walkthrough haunt, and we re-did the frame for the shrink film after two days because people from our team were touching the film).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good advice! Thanks for the tips !
Dave, not sure if you were responding to me, or whom, but another thing I meant to mention but forgot.... There are several different versions of these shrink films. You need to make sure you get one that advertises itself as "crystal clear" or similar. Some of the cheaper ones are sort of milky, and it ruins the effect (you can see where the film is). I will try to see if I have any in my portable "haunt box" and I'll let you know which brand we had success with if I still have some.

As with any Pepper's Ghost illusion make sure you don't have any lights directed at the film from either half of the scene unless it is EXACTLY replicated on both sides of your "combiner" (indirect/soft lighting works the best). The film seems to be a little more sensitive to issues with the direct lighting than using glass (my favorite, but dangerous) or plexi.

On another note... this stuff is likely to be on sale right now if you find it in smaller stores (it is a "winterizing" product, and not as much demand for it right now). I learned about using this method in a couple of higher end professional seasonal haunts 5 or 6 years ago, and it is GREAT for huge combiners, and cheap.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Yes, I was referring to you, crutherf. Thanks again! It's always great to hear from someone like you who has some experience in using this type of effect.
I hope to try it someday!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got lucky at work, a financial institution. They had a clear plastic poster frame that was barely cracked in one corner, so they had to get rid of it as it wasn't professional looking. I salvaged it, but haven't come up with a use for it. I'm waiting for the boyfriend to come home, as he's great with building things.

I'd recommend checking in with movie theaters, financial institutions, etc. and ask if they have any damaged/used plexi you can salvage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did a peppers ghost this past year and used that heated window insulation that you use a blow dryer on to make tight. Looked flawless and was perfect. I would give that some consideration as that was only $8 and I have enough for another one this year

21 - 28 of 28 Posts