Halloween Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm considering getting one of these but how do you power it? Do you need to buy a separate power source?
David answered this question pretty well! I am planning on using this 10 port USB charger to power the players I'll have going.

And from the looks of it the speakers need to be hard-wired in? There's no way to just plug in an audio cable?
If you have active speakers (that plug into power) you an use the 3.5mm socket. If you have bare speakers (like from a car stereo, etc) you can wire them into the 2 way terminal block. Super easy.
David again is correct, HOWEVER, it's only a 3W amp, so you're not going to get much volume out of it with your average passive speaker (like the ones you often find in props or in home theater speaker systems). Likely enough output for a small prop, but not enough volume to carry the soundtrack from a room.

EDIT: I stand corrected! This amp can really drive. I connected it to a small bookshelf speaker with an 86db sensitivity (fairly average in these types of speakers) and the MP3 player managed to get it remarkably loud with only 3 watts! Distortion is inevitable at any loud volume, however.

The only reason I didn't know this before is because I had only tested it via the 3.5mm line out into a dedicated multi-channel amplifier, then made an erroneous assumption based on information I thought was correct. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
These boards do work when powered on. A relay would trigger power on. You also need a time delayed realy that goes to the millisecond. You have to find the sweat spot from time delay (sound) to activation. You set the time delay to x then when x ends it activates y.

X 2.4 seconds(powered on but idle)

Y when 2.4 finishes(plays sound)

Don't expect crazy sound from them. I have built many pnuematics with them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've made 5 modules using these, a teensy, senor and 120V relay. I use a teensy to turn on the power to the mp3 and relay by a motion senor. I use a an mplifier to improve the sound.

34782480_143119213219626_4772715397600247808_n.jpg

This mp3 goes in the a VU level detector to the teensy that drives the servo for the jaw.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep, as David_AVD said, they are perfect for a continuous sound track. Lots of sellers on ebay for these, here's a US seller for $3.95 each.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MP3-USB-Flash-Drive-Micro-SD-TF-Card-Player-Decoding-Amplifier-Board-Module-USA/382680006090?hash=item5919817dca:g:hsAAAOSwqoxcGWP4
So these will automatically start playing the audio track once they are powered on? I'm using old iPods and iPhones but it's a pain in the butt going and turning them each night, making sure they are charged, etc. I'm not worried about the delay since I'm using your controller boards.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So these will automatically start playing the audio track once they are powered on? I'm using old iPods and iPhones but it's a pain in the butt going and turning them each night, making sure they are charged, etc. I'm not worried about the delay since I'm using your controller boards.
Yes. Once you power them it defaults to playing the first track.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Yes, they play on power up with about 2 seconds delay.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts