Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I've asked this elsewhere. Couldn't locate where I did if I have. Looking for recommendations for inexpensive wireless video transmitter units. Inexpensive here being, say, around $60 or less, preferably. And something that is radio based, not line-of-sight.

I see that most of the units in my price range accept and output only composite video. That would be fine if I continue to use composite out from a single-source DVD player. But if I start using USB adapters to sync and transmit multiple videos to different video projectors around the house, I'm guessing I'd need at least monitor / RGB input on the transmitter end. Receiver end can be composite video.

The dream / application here is to ultimate send a wandering ghost either across the entire upstairs of my house--like Disney's Haunted Mansion Traveling Light effect--and/or for a ghost projection to walk through one window, say, upstairs; then appear walking past a downstairs window.

I think that would be an impressive effect.

Could also be deployed to get a really wide Ghostly Footsteps path across the lawn.

So I decided to ask for recommendations on these video transmitter units here, in its own thread, for that reason--multiple applications.

Does it matter how many channels the video transmitter can use for the signal? By that, I mean some have 4 broadcast channels, some have 8 to choose from, etc. I guess part of the reason is that so one doesn't interfere with Wifi router signals.

Also thinking this may be an alternative for wirelessly transmitting audio on a "private" channel vs. using FM transmitters.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know if there's a significant difference between the 5.8 GHz models and the 2.4 GHz models? The 2.4 ones are typically cheaper. And I'm only sending out non-HD quality composite video--or if I don't use it for that, low quality audio. Is there a difference in the transmission distances, etc?

I see comments about needing to have line-of-sight. Which I won't. But then some are saying this is only for remote control access... Want to transmit video signals from a two story house from upstairs to downstairs, from one room to another room same floor on the opposite side of house. Also considering as an FM transmitter replacement for wireless transmitting audio (vs. video).

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5.8 would have longer distance and less interference. 2.4 would have shorter distance and more interference (think microwave, cordless phone wi-fi)
Thanks DeltaGirl! The main thing I'm concerned with is not having line of sight (I don't). So I'll try for a 5.8 unit and hope for better range without line of sight. I'll be transmitting through walls, floors, etc.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SainSonic SS-650

Well, this wasn't exactly cheap ($122). But I ended up ordering a SainSonic SS-650 5.8 GHZ unit from Amazon. The claim is that it will transmit 100 meters further than the blue-colored SainSonic model (which does up to 200 meters); for a maximum theoretical potential of 300 meters. I say max potential because I suspect that presumes line-of-sight. Also chose this model because it has three receivers rather than one or two. So, one transmitter + three receivers = 4 pieces:

http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-SS-650-Wireless-Transmitter-Receivers/dp/B00G4SEH10

One limitation, like many I've seen in this price range, is that it transmits composite video only (yellow RCA jack). Although I've seen relatively inexpensive RGB to composite converters (~$15 each) in case I need to transmit from a laptop. It also transmits L and R stereo audio (white / red RCA jacks). Although I'm probably mistaken, I'd like to think I could "fool" this unit into transmitting three separate video signals but using the yellow, red, and white jacks for three separate composite video sources. Anyone think this could work theoretically?

And here's a link to the unit directly from the manufacturer:
http://www.sainsonic.com/3d-active-glasses/video-audio-glasses/pat650-5-8ghz-wireless-a-v-transmitter-3-receivers-with-ir-remote-300m.html

I figured buying this unit may give me some additional options, e.g. also transmitting audio in a wireless fashion to drive my two Perfect Storm lightning machines.

If it doesn't work, I hope SainSonic is good with returns. Wasn't sure if it was sold by Amazon itself--where returns are easy--or if it's through a Marketplace vendor. It was eligible for Amazon Prime shipping, so I hope I can return it without any fuss if it doesn't operate as expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts