Halloween Forum banner

Inexpensive methods to get *almost* continous fog vs. purchasing pro unit

15501 Views 18 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Krusty
In a pro audio / video / DJ products catalog--or perhaps the distributor catalog someone posted to the thread about the new Gemmy Lightshow Projection units thread--I saw a listing for a Continuous fog machine. Forget the price, but it was a shocker--can't justify the cost, as my show is a home yard haunt, one night per year. For all the actual laser units I have (like the separate red, green, and blue BlissLight spright / firefly weatherized "spread laser dot field" units), and possibly for a Green Laser Vortex emulation, etc. Everything seems to go better with fog. I had a mishap with a front yard fogger that interfered with my otherwise cool-to-me 2000 watt cheap lightning effect using two Morris Costume Perfect Storm units, some photo flash bulbs, etc. And I just lost the atmosphere of green flood lights shining through my graveyard--so much less interesting without semi-continuous fog.

What are my options for emulating a Continuous Fog machine? Doesn't have to be 100% Continuous; but a lot closer than what you get with a typical reheat cycle.

I see some options as:
1) Figure out how many cheap fog machines I'd need to purchase and run to achieve near-continuous fog on my lawn. Any ideas? And of what wattages? e.g. a bunch of 400 watt or 700 watt units? Just turn 'em all on and let chaos keep things moving more or less continuously--or close enough for my budget...

2) Discover some sort of timer-socket fogger hack which could then be controlled by a Raspberry Pi. I've never owned a RasPi, but hope to get one before the summer is over. A colleague at work just bought a CanaKit RaspBerry Pi from Amazon and actually didn't have any compelling ideas to do things with it. I'd have *plenty* of projects to keep him busy with--a Fogger Hack / Foggers controlled by a Raspberry Pi would be awesome. Here's the kit he bought:

3) Combine either technique 1 or 2 with a very high wattage fogger like the one Monoprice sold last season as a "fog base." I have a Monoprice still unboxed from last year; no timer socket I believe)

http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Ultimate-Starter-Components/dp/B00G1PNG54/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1435866673&sr=1-3&keywords=raspberry+pi

Any ideas would help on trying to simulate / emulate / get close to a continuous fogger without spending a lot of money
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I have seen the big mist makes used for this. No worry about over heating or using fog juice. Maybe you could set it up somehow and use computer fans to move the mist. Just a thought. I know that's how they make fog walls that need continuous fog.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.