Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snindigz has some nice indoor props, they refer to them as "standee's". Here's an example of one I'd like to use in the yard:
http://www.shindigz.com/party/dying-to-party-directional-sign/pgp/14szksdps

It's printed on cardboard, so there's no way it'll survive any moisture. I can attach it to exterior plywood, that'll protect the back side and give it support against wind. Any suggestions on a clear sealer that would protect the printed side and edges?

Tks!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've found some discoloration occurs sometimes whenever I use spray on poly, depending on what surface you're spraying it on - but carefully applying it with a paintbrush would work fine I think. Polyurethane is my go-to for all outdoors protection against the weather. Even use it on my gravestones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm concerned with the paper warping, remember this prop is painted on cardboard. I could try a very light spray, several coats.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Trace it onto the plywood, then expand the outline by two inches. Cut the plywood to the expanded outline, then paint it black. Then heavy-handedly decoupage the cardboard signpost to the plywood. The thing should easily last a decade.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Houston Haunter & Blarghity suggested Mod Podge or decopauge. Are they the same product? My daughter uses Mod Podge for her crafts and looking at the bottle it says it's for outdoor-exterior use. That sounds like it just might be the way too go.

Blarghity, why did you recommend cutting the outline 2" larger than the outline? I've make a lot of wood cut-outs and always cut them to the actual shape of the figure. Are you suggesting that to have an area where the Mod Podge can be continuous over the edge of the paper? If so, that does make a whole lot of sense to me. Just wanted to clarify why?

Thanks for your help!!!!!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Blarghity, why did you recommend cutting the outline 2" larger than the outline? I've make a lot of wood cut-outs and always cut them to the actual shape of the figure. Are you suggesting that to have an area where the Mod Podge can be continuous over the edge of the paper? If so, that does make a whole lot of sense to me. Just wanted to clarify why?

Thanks for your help!!!!!
The enlarged border is to provide the extra space necessary for assured adherence, essentially space to blend over the edge for a smooth transition. Otherwise you end up with a sort of lip that will eventually chip away and expose the decoupaged item to the elements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts