Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys its my first year throwing a Halloween party and Id like the indoor decorations to be REALLY good. Can you show me some pics of your party decor or throw out some ideas of what would have a big impact. Thanks!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Scene setter make a nice back drop or we used some cool fabric to drape over the furniture and curtains or drape black cotton gauze over them gives a creepy feel too. Lots of candles or low lighting in some of the rooms or a projection of scary pictures on a wall, we did that one year and that was wicked cool! Hope this helps!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,842 Posts
You are going to have tons of fun! Hide any home items that will wreck the mood. Throw black material over art or replace with scary pictures. I use a couple scene setters but I like to go to Goodwill and pick up cheap curtains, table cloths or sheets (black, purple, red, gothic style) for archways, doors and walls. I thread it through a thin dowel rod and use command hooks or push pins. Gives a dramatic feel to any room. Lots of creepy cloth. Nothing kills a mood than normal lighting. Change out light bulbs or get some color floods. Also if you go to Amazon and do a search for halloween photo backdrop, you'll find lots of cool ideas.

For this pic, the back wall is black landscaping material, the curtains, sconces, black satin sheet, heart art and memento mori (paint project) sign are all from Goodwill. Don't know why this picture turned sideways.

IMG_3266.jpg

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not even close to being done yet, but we have our scene setters up. The purple forest in the kitchen is a standard scene setter; plastic and shiny, and only 8' tall. They are better than nothing and will add depth to your decor, but last year we decided to ratchet it up and bought some photo backdrops from a Chinese manufacturer (through Aliexpress).

These photo backdrops are awesome. We got them 10' tall, so they go from floor to ceiling. They're not shiny plastic and look much more realistic. They're not cheap, but I think they're worth it, as you can get many year's worth of use out of them.

Backdrop00001.jpg
Backdrop00002.jpg
Backdrop00003.jpg
Backdrop00004.jpg
Backdrop00005.jpg

·
Registered
530 Posts
Someone here on the forum had an image of one of their rooms with the blue wallpaper and it looked so cool, I tracked it down on Aliexpress and ordered some. The place I got the backdrops from was really easy to work with and allowed us to modify the image before they printed them, so I made ours a little more blue-purple. They also allowed me to send them a graphic for them to print, which is where the other wallpaper came from (they may be selling it on, for all I know).

If you go to HanusHaunt.com and look at the 2017 pictures, you'll see we have the same wallpaper in the parlor (the room with the black fireplace) and in the bathroom. We kept that in those rooms again for this year, because we had to cut or modify them so much to fit into those rooms. The blue paper was in the witches room and into the kitchen.

The blue ones are 10'x10' and I think we bought 6 or 7. The "moldy" paper is 5'x10' and we bought 9 or 10.

Because these are the height of the ceiling, they are so easy to put up, as opposed to trying to set up the typical 4' x 30' scene setters.

And I have to say, these add such a "wow" impact to the overall effect of the decorations. One, because they're floor to ceiling, and two, because they're not shiny like the plastic scene setters. They're not cheap, but they are worth the expense.

OMG Kwil, it looks like you bought a ton of those backdrops to wallpaper your room! How many did you end up getting for one room? I would keep the dining room one up all year round!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Someone here on the forum had an image of one of their rooms with the blue wallpaper and it looked so cool, I tracked it down on Aliexpress and ordered some. The place I got the backdrops from was really easy to work with and allowed us to modify the image before they printed them, so I made ours a little more blue-purple. They also allowed me to send them a graphic for them to print, which is where the other wallpaper came from (they may be selling it on, for all I know).

If you go to HanusHaunt.com and look at the 2017 pictures, you'll see we have the same wallpaper in the parlor (the room with the black fireplace) and in the bathroom. We kept that in those rooms again for this year, because we had to cut or modify them so much to fit into those rooms. The blue paper was in the witches room and into the kitchen.

The blue ones are 10'x10' and I think we bought 6 or 7. The "moldy" paper is 5'x10' and we bought 9 or 10.

Because these are the height of the ceiling, they are so easy to put up, as opposed to trying to set up the typical 4' x 30' scene setters.

And I have to say, these add such a "wow" impact to the overall effect of the decorations. One, because they're floor to ceiling, and two, because they're not shiny like the plastic scene setters. They're not cheap, but they are worth the expense.
So awesome, Kwll!!

What is the wallpaper material made out of and are you still using staples to stick it on the wall? How cool would it be to use some type of thin material (about 1/3" thick) like cardboard or wooden panels to stick the wallpaper (or scene setter) onto permanently. Then just mount that material with the wallpaper to rest on the baseboards and secure it with command strips on just the top. This would save so much time setting it up since it would be measured for your walls. I would love to do something like this since scene setters are so time consuming.

Your fireplace looks amazing, did you build it yourself? I'm looking to do something like that this year but don't know where to start on getting the really elegant wooden designs that you did.

For your exterior fences, is that real metal fencing? What material are the concrete-like gray pillars made out of? Where do you store all of this??

What are your mad scientist lab panels made out of? Any designs/tutorials you can share that you got your inspiration from?

Your haunt just keeps getting better every year!

·
Registered
530 Posts
So awesome, Kwll!!
Thank you so much!

What is the wallpaper material made out of and are you still using staples to stick it on the wall? How cool would it be to use some type of thin material (about 1/3" thick) like cardboard or wooden panels to stick the wallpaper (or scene setter) onto permanently. Then just mount that material with the wallpaper to rest on the baseboards and secure it with command strips on just the top. This would save so much time setting it up since it would be measured for your walls. I would love to do something like this since scene setters are so time consuming.
Hmm, I'm not sure what the wallpaper is made of. Feels like some kind of nylon. I like the idea of the cardboard, especially for covering windows, but this stuff rolls up nicely and takes up very little storage room. And yes, still stapling it to the walls. Although, I will say that these require less staples than traditional scene setters.

Your fireplace looks amazing, did you build it yourself? I'm looking to do something like that this year but don't know where to start on getting the really elegant wooden designs that you did.
Thanks. Yes, I did build it, but my wife painted it, which is where I think the real magic comes in. The linear elegant pieces are moulding from Home Depot, as is the decorative piece in the center. The millwork I bought off of Amazon. So, really, you make a "blocky" fireplace out of wood and tack on moulding and some millwork. :)

For your exterior fences, is that real metal fencing? What material are the concrete-like gray pillars made out of? Where do you store all of this??
The fences are made from PVC. Certainly not my design, as there are a lot of examples here on the forum and Pinterest. The vertical pieces are 1/2" PVC pipes. The horizontal pieces are 1"x2" wood. The circles are 4" pieces of PVC pipe. And the finials are plastic, bought from Kingmetals.com. I based a lot of my fence on this site: http://www.ravenmanor.com/projects/cemeterygatefence.html

The pillars are made from 2"x3" boards and 3/4" plywood. Yes, they are extremely heavy, but we didn't want them to be easily damaged, as there would be hundreds of people walking by them every night we are open. My wife painted the fence and pillars to get the metal/stone/aged look. I don't think they're as nice as a lot of other pillars I've seen, and I think I probably could have made the panels out of foam instead of wood.

The pillars and fence, along with most of the other HW stuff, gets stored in the 3rd car garage. Packed left to right, top to bottom.

What are your mad scientist lab panels made out of? Any designs/tutorials you can share that you got your inspiration from?
LOL, the panel portion of the lab is the top portion of a waterbed headboard. Found it at Goodwill and it had the angle I wanted for the lab piece, so bought it and hacked off everything else. Hmm, I would have to go back and look through my notes for where I got the ideas, but it wasn't one source. I spent a lot of time looking through this forum, Pinterest, Google Images, etc. I bought all the meters from eBay, broke them apart and wired the colored LEDs into them. I used the candle-flicker LEDs from Evil Mad Scientist (https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/component/content/article/189) to give it the "shorting out" effect. I also tied in a lot of the internal and external lights on the unit, including a light bulb in the base of the home built Jacobs Ladder, to a lightning machine, so they were timed with the thunder sounds.

To me, the Jacobs Ladder is the really cool part of the lab. It's real and when it's going, it's truly awesome. It makes that great ZZZZZT! sound as the spark travels up the rods. However, because it's a lethal amount of electricity, it almost didn't get added to the lab. The last thing I needed was having some kid walk up to it and touch it. Luckily, I found a large, thick glass cylinder from Michael's that was tall enough to completely house it. In addition to an on/off switch, I wired in an electrical timer switch, like they use for hot tubs. This way, I can have it run for 10-15 minutes and it will automatically shut off. I didn't know how hot the unit would get and if no one was around, it didn't need to be running. I did cheat with the sound, though, and have an audio file of the ZZZZZT! sound running, so it sounds like it's always going in the lab.

Your haunt just keeps getting better every year!
Thanks! I'm not sure if it's going to be better this year, as we aren't adding too much new to the scenes. Spent too much time and money last year, so we're making everything work again this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts