Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow haunters

As I am sure you all know, this time of year requires many extension cords to keep the frights and scares going. My question is. Is it safe to use an indoor extension cord outside and vice versa? When I look at the gauge, they are exactly the same. They "look" no different, but the cost is very different. What is your feedback?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Indoor tend to have a smaller insulation jacket that break down in sun and rain. So it would be cheaper. If you are having them out just for Halloween Night where you can monitor the enviroment they are in and feel comfortable, use them.

That being said, Call me paranoid, but I always try to use outdoor and heavier gauge then I need. Cords are cheaper then Repairs, houses, and lives.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use both types of cords for my display. Of course they are plugged into GFI circuits. I haven't had a problem with Halloween or Christmas lights yet using the indoor cords outside. If the GFI trips when it rains it usually because of the light string not the cords. I would be careful not overload the smaller cords.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use only outdoor cords indoors and out for safety. They are cheaper at lowes, menards, or home depot type stores. :)

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Same here. I use dozens of indoor cords both at Halloween and Christmas out in the yard. Never had a problem, but I don't run any props or lighting when it's raining anyway.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I use only outdoor cords indoors and out for safety. They are cheaper at lowes, menards, or home depot type stores. :)
I'm all for safety, especially when it comes to 120v, but when you think about how small and flimsy the light sets are that we all use, it seems kinda pointless to use heavy duty cords. It's much more important to avoid overloading outlets or having too many light sets or devices on the smaller gauge cords.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts