Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out how to make a very lightweight and easily stored archway for my office.

I found the following image and wanted to make a similar arch. It has to be very lightweight because technically attaching anything to the celing is against the rules (but they're okay as long as you don't damage anything) but I also want to be able to store it easily.It needs to be about 4-4.5 feet wide. I was thinking making a tube out of papertowel rolls but not sure how that would hold up?? Do you think they have camping poles that could work???

indoor halloweenarch.jpg

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would suggest 1/2" pvc pipe. That would make the radius with no problem, would be durable and would store fairly easily.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Use a heat gun to bend PVC pipe. Heat it up, bend it while it is hot, and let it cool and it will retain the bend. Heat guns can be bought for as little at $7 at Harbor Freight, depending on what coupons you find in newspapers and magazines in any given month.

Use multiple segments and use pipe couplers to connect them, that way even the hoop will break down and store with ease.

Also note that in the picture, the arch is attached to the desks/cubicles on either side. webbing stretching to the ceiling is incidental and not part of the prop structural support.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Also, with an arch that size it is possible to bend the pipe without first heating it and then, when you have it in the shape you want, apply the heat and then let it cool and it will retain the shape. Kind of like building some "memory" into it. Both ways will work. I like the idea of smaller segments to make for easier storage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Amazon has a real lightweight arch with clamps called a celebration arch - it comes in sections. I bought two of them and put them together with weights at the end and made an arch for an office luncheon. It worked well and then came apart after we used it. We used it for a Hawaiian luau, Mardi Gras backdrop, and Halloween entry. It's definitely not heavy duty though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't buy a cheap heat gun as you pay for what you get. I got a multi fan speed and heat settings. Maybe $30-$40. You can put nails into plywood as you heat the PVC bend it and the nails will keep you shape as it cools. Lots of you tube videos on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts