Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have seen some amazing spooky trees on here, and while I would love to get into celluclay, I'm on a bit of a space constraint. I'm currently living in an apartment, and I have a small hallway that I would like to create some sort of forest on one of the walls.

Currently my idea is to grab actual branches (I've got a few, took a few pics of possible placement on the wall), and paint them black. I'd like to add some dollar store moss to them and possibly string webs off them towards the ceiling if they will hold. I feel that 3D will offer a lighting opportunity that could cast some shadows and create a bit of depth to them, however I don't have a lot of experience with this.

I also have Spirit Halloween's talking tree face from last year. My wife and I love him (okay my wife is a little spooked by him, but he's growing on her), and would love to mount him on the wall amidst these branches.

Does anyone have experience with indoor forests like these, or is this idea a waste of time?

Thanks,
Spooky Shpidorman

·
Registered
114 Posts
No experience, but we are planning to do something similar for a kids birthday. Our son is turning twelve and wants Winnie the Pooh (he's autistic and very innocent). We were trying to figure out how to do one wall with some branches to look like the Hundred Acre Wood for a photo backdrop. Since his birthday is in September we will leave it up and then change out a few things so that it becomes a haunted display. We are just trying to figure out a way to securely mount it so that it won't fall on a kids head but won't be hard to take down or leave permanent damage to the walls. I'd love any ideas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
An idea to make a forest on the wall is use great stuff foam or crumpled brown paper (the kind on a roll) on a thin piece of plywood. Spray it on there and make a 3-D tree and paint it or glue the crumpled paper. You can still use real branches with it. Secure the board on the wall with a couple screws into the stud. Make sure to hit a stud. The holes can be fixed with plaster or toothpaste. Just a idea.

·
Registered
114 Posts
An idea to make a forest on the wall is use great stuff foam or crumpled brown paper (the kind on a roll) on a thin piece of plywood. Spray it on there and make a 3-D tree and paint it or glue the crumpled paper. You can still use real branches with it. Secure the board on the wall with a couple screws into the stud. Make sure to hit a stud. The holes can be fixed with plaster or toothpaste. Just a idea.
That's a great idea. And it would be relatively flat for storage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately don't think I'd be able to use a plywood board. I don't have any tools, nor any friends that have access to a station to cut it for our apt :/ Sounds like it would be a cool idea though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bongobill, that is brilliant. Great idea.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
For a number of reasons, I'm nearly certain that picture has been seriously enhanced, but it's still a cool concept.
Here's DIY version that looks like fun. The guy doing it blamed his own lack of artistry for the difference in end product, but I'd be willing to bet that's the lesser part of it. His is still cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFqTHTq5xS4

·
Registered
56 Posts
For a number of reasons, I'm nearly certain that picture has been seriously enhanced, but it's still a cool concept.
Here's DIY version that looks like fun. The guy doing it blamed his own lack of artistry for the difference in end product, but I'd be willing to bet that's the lesser part of it. His is still cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFqTHTq5xS4
Seems to me that that fella didnt put enough gnarly twigs on his version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is awesome!

Yeah, looking at that chandelier looks awesome. I hate to be a debbie downer, but the follow up video posted by oojen is a great down to earth reminder for me x) If I was getting a degree in light physics, I'd probably give it a shot, but I'm fairly certain that those distances between the bulb and symmetry have to be mathematical to achieve the effect.

I guess a great followup here would be how do other people use lighting to make their outdoor plants/trees or even indoor wall props spooky? If I paint tree branches and attach them an inch or so away from the wall, I'm sure I could get a variation of the chandelier effect; that isn't to say it would look anything close, but I think it would help fill the space and multiply the density of my little wall forest.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What about using wire to make branches? You could braid pieces to make the thicker portions then taper down. Wrap it all in brown floral tape. As you tape you could insert fake leaves. To make them appear as they are dying hold them over a flame, the edges will curl. If you want to add hanging moss dye cheese cloth army green and cut into strips. Hang from branches or even the ceiling with tacks. It will really give you that closed in feeling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We did an indoor forest theme in 2005. We used real branches, unpainted. (I think painting them black would make them hard to see in low light thereby reducing the effect.

We stood some bigger branches in the corners and spanned many strips of fishing line across the ceiling which we wedged smaller branches into to give an overhang look. During the party with the low light and a fog machine set on low the effect was amazing!

dsc06057.jpg

This pic was taken during setup, so only about half the branches are there. Sorry I don't have any from the actual party so you could see the full effect, but this should give you an idea of what it looked like, hopefully. ;)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That is fantastic Scarecrow! Ohhhhh and with some up-lighting that would create those great shadows I would think.

We used to have this old shelter belt nearby that protected a house that I could get some great fallen branches from. I called it the spookery woods and my 4 year old & I would go get them for our yard haunt. Sadly its an apartment complex now. :( Now I'm itching to get branches again...those are hard to come by in the open prairie! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you considered using a scene setter /room roll? There are lots of options from creepy to regular forest backgrounds .
I've seen people use PVC pipe and drill holes and place sticks through them to create trees. Or you could cut your shapes out from cardboard and use colored lights behind the trees for backlighting, maybe even a fogger behind to creep it up more...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts